Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

On weekends even if we are just hanging out at home we let our 2 yr old stay up til 9 or 10 as long as she is happy. We love just being with her and don't mind having her up past her bedtime. Just means she will sleep in the next day.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Our kids were up until midnight on Canada Day (4.5 and 2). They had a good nap earlier in the day and slept in the next morning. I keep them on a daily schedule but there are times to be flexible and family time and holidays are always exceptions.

Sounds like the guy was just ignorant and trying to be cool by shaming you or make an issue out of nothing. I imagine there were others who thought my kids should be in bed as well but didn't say it- I would have let them know it wasn't there place to. I certainly wouldn't worry about some nobody's opinion on your parenting when they don't have a clue.
    tough times don't last but tough people do

We were all 'perfect parents' before we had kids
    What a little snot.
    I let the DDs stay up from time to time for special occasions. Like DD1 got to stay up till 10 on new years eve. We didn't do fireworks this year but if we had I would have let her stay up a bit later for them too.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Um then I must be a horrible parent lol my kids are up late on weekends all the time. When we went to Disney it was usually 1 am. My husband races and when we go to watch its often very late before they get to bed. I make sure they get the sleep they need. Most nights they get 11- 12 hrs so the odd late night doesn't harm them. When i Know they'll be up late if I can they nap in the afternoon. My kids are also pretty good abut sleeping in when they can. I wouldn't worry about what others think. Do what is right for you and your family
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

I would probably have said something like “ My guys nap during the day so they can be up late on special occasions. Looks like you missed your nap“

Not remotely any of their business!

My kids were out for fireworks this year and last year (they're 2, 4, 6 right now). We were out at the drive in until 1 the night before too. Piss off to them! Don't give it another seconds' thought.

we dont do fireworks right now! but my boys were up til 9 that night! we have a later bedtime in the summer
    Last edited by 3littlepiggies; 07-04-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

When your kids are all grown up with families of their own they're not going to remember all the times they went to bed on time. They're going to remember those special times you let them stay up late eating bad foods and watching fireworks :P

Good for you for creating those special memories for your babes!!!
    Blogging to avoid the housework @ http://thisorthehousework.blogspot.ca/

Teenagers are funny.

Just give your head a shake - right now he knows it all, but someday that kid will grow up to realize that he doesn't know a thing, just like the rest of us.

Hope you had fun at the fireworks anyway!

Expert Forum User

I see kids out and about past 9 or even 10 all the time. Even if you go to a store that's open late you will find little kids there. As long as they get ENOUGH sleep then what does it matter? My DS is up until around 10:30 every night.

They were out of line IMO. DS, who is three went to the fireworks too. By the time we got home and settled it was 11pm. He actually got his own blanket, sat on my lap and fell asleep by himself.

Its your day and your family. Everyone does everything different. If we were all the same this world would be boring. Besides, what works for one child doesn't always work for another. These discussion boards prove that. If you made great family memories and you are happy the way your children are then all is right in the world.

Expert Forum User

My kids are up late often if its a special occasion. I figure if they are tired enough they will sleep, if not they can enjoy the show. We camped all through Canada Day weekend and pretty sure noone was in bed before 10pm through the whole four nights. Including my 10month old and 3.5year old. The only person who 'suffers' from it is me, and I know the risk I'm taking but would rather see their happy faces in those moments.

For your siuation I'd take it like a grain of salt. The kid had no clue what he was talking about and just trying to put on a show for friends.

When I was a single mom with DD I took night classes at Fanshawe. I finished every night at 10pm, would have to walk up the street to get DD from the babysitter than walk her home. She'd be passed out in the stroller, but I always got comments about “that young irresponsible mom having her kid out so late“.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

Expert Forum User

I wouldn't have been able to keep my mouth shut and probably would have said something like, “Well, glad I'm not YOUR kid!“ or “And that's why I'm a parent and you're NOT!“

Don't let it bother you!!! I'm sure they had a great time. I operate on a pretty simple principle. Memories are more important than sleep!

Expert Forum User

Ugh that sucks Had a similar experience at the fireworks downtown on Canada day, some guy came stumbling through the people sitting and shouted “TOO MANY KIDS!“. WTF do you expect at fireworks idiot!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12