Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default was told i should be ashamed of myself for babies being up on canada day....

well it was a long weekend, and we left town. our family is rarely ever all together and our travels are far and few. it was canada day and we have a toddler 2yrs 10months and a baby 7 months. we wanted our LO's to see the fireworks particularly our toddler. this was in TO. fireworks were supposed to start around 9:30-9:45ish as it was getting darker but we waited and waited and waited and waited as did everyone around us until about 10:30ish. the weather was nice and breezy and i thought my kids would sleep in their stroller. well they didn't because there was so much buzz around, but they were good and quiet-believe me. they were having a great time with family and strolling around.
    there were a group of literal -punks, goths. (i know they probably wanted to prey on someone and why should i get advice from them lol). but one in the group shouted i should be ashamed of myself that babies should be in bed long ago!! and he screamed it out loud in front of everyone (but not in my face type of thing-just loud so everyone can hear) well when we are at home we do go to bed at a set early time. infant around 7ish and toddler between 8-9 as she is a harder one to settle. but we were enjoying our family time and didnt want to be in our hotel room early. or should we have??

just curious what is everyones take on this?? its ok to be honest. i wouldn't mind putting my little one to bed in the hotel early and calling it a night, but my husband is more adventurous and outgoing and wanted to stroll around with the kids. he is the type to say "the hell with everyone" lol, he does what he wants and thought it was fine. but i dont know....is it????

Nice! What a jerk that guy was! Well we had our DD up at Magic Kingdom at Disney until 11pm (or even later). She snoozed throughout in her stroller. Personally I don't think it's a big deal to keep them up when it's a special event or holiday.
    Last edited by ilovetinks; 07-04-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

on special occasions my kids (any age) will be up. as long as they can tolerate it.

for canada day we had the baby sleep from 6:30-9, and then went to the fire works...got home around 11-11:30 and put him back to bed. he was fine.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Expert Forum User

We were out until 1am with our 2 yr old and 6yr old at Disney. We all had a late nap in the afternoon and a late supper at 9:30pm. Whoever does the judging can do so after they've walked in your shoes - they don't know the circumstances and they have no reason to judge. Sounds to me like the comment was made just to make you feel inferior or embarrassed.

Expert Forum User

Our 2 year old watched the fireworks too. Like others have said, it's a holiday. Those “kids“ need to lighten up a bit.

Expert Forum User

My almost 5 year old was up until well after 10 on Canada day... though I did put the almost 2 year old to bed as she was grump-tastic.

I wouldn't waste one iota of energy even thinking about this!
    It's not even remotely any of their business.

I'm all for 'kids thrive on a routine', but once in a while, you need shake things up and do something a little different. That's what makes special occassions special.

I hope you had a wonderful Canada Day with your family. Don't waste another minute second-guessing yourself.

thanks so much ladies!! you are all so wonderful! phew...just had to hear it from another mom lol

Expert Forum User

No I dont think they should judge you for your decisions. My kids stay up that late for exciting little adventures all the time. Now I also don't think you should judge those “punk, goths“ as looking for someone to “prey“ on either. . Anyone could have picked on you.
    I'm

[/B]

Expert Forum User

ITA with PP's
    It's a special occasion - and even if it wasn't, who is some idiot on the street to judge you - maybe your routine IS going to bed at midnight and getting up at noon because of shift work or other family routines. I have family in Windsor where Mom and Dad both work nights - their LO's routine is bed at 1am up around noon the next day... it works for them and as the kids aren't in school yet, I don't see what the big deal is.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I try to stick to the routine as much as possible only because it's easier on ME if they do. But, my baby (8m) was up and ours started at ten So I don't see an issue.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

My response would have been.....Do you have kids, if not keep your remarks to yourself. We are enjoying FAMILY TIME.

But that is me.

I wouldnt worry about the remark. Hope yous had FUN....
    NO NOISE IS BETTER THEN HEARING A CHILD'S LAUGHTER

my kids had 3 late nights this weekend from different things we were invited too - it's part of the fun. Yes they are sleeping in the past few days, but I'm rather enjoying that.

Expert Forum User

We kept our kids up until midnight on Canada day. 6, 4, and almost 2. They wanted to see the fireworks too and they started much later than we thought they would too. It's none of their business. They should have kept their mouths shut. Lucky no one said that to me lol. It would not have been pretty
    Danielle
    Mom of 4

Expert Forum User

I would've yelled a bunch of obscenities at them, but that's just me. My 3 year old is never in bed before 10:00 pm and that's on a good night, that's just how our lifestyle is. If someone wants to judge, that's their problem, not yours (or mine, in my case).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast