Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: child support

Default child support

Just wondering if anyonen knows if there is any other route other than a lawyer to assist me with this. In our agreement my ex and I are supposed to provide copies of our income tax (filed) returns by May 15 which would/could affect the amount of child support I receive. My ex has not provided his and is saying he has not yet filed.....I think it is likely because his income has gone up which means his child support should increase. Any other route than a lawyer I can't afford to get him to produce?

I'm not sure... but what about FLIC downtown at the courthouse. They could give you the information you need!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Do you go through FRO? I would call them and see if they can assist you. I just realized I should have recieved a copy of my ex's to and didn't.

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

I don't go through FRO but am starting to think that may be the route I take if he doesn't produce it very soon.....

Expert Forum User

You can file contempt papers with the courts. I have had to do this. He have me his assessment as soon as he saw I was taking him back to court. So I was able to cancel the court date.

in the kitchen, the garden, and the laundry room

ooh! really? contempt? what form would i need for that? I am supposed to get the same papers but haven`t, and i suspect hes intentionally refusing to file because he knows they (FRO) will be yanking his return.My lawyer doesnt`seem to be doing much for me...

Social Media Guru

If you go to the court house when duty counsel is on they can advise you how to fill in the contempt papers

Thank you.

I don't know if this helps, but I gave my EX a letter quoting the court number and the part where he needs to provide this information by a certain date and documented it made it look really official, I gave him 30 days to respond. It may help.

I have not received my exes EVER and we have been split since 2007 and we have court documents stating I should get it!
    Last edited by LoverOfChocolate; 07-07-2012 at 09:01 AM.

Family Law Rules Forms — Ontario Court Services

The link is to the Family Court forms. Contempt is Form 31. You call ahead and talk to a court officer to get a date. Then fill out the form and go to the court house. Get it commissioned there and then photocopy it 2 times (go elsewhere if possible, photocopies are expensive.) Serve one copy to him, and keep one for your files. Go back to the courthouse and file the contempt paper as well as a 6B affidavit of service.
    On the court date, the judge will order he provide the information neccessary by a certain date. If he doesn't, file contempt again. Eventually, the punishment by the judge will get harsher, hopefully it doesn't take too many tries!

source: been doing my own Family Law work for 4 years

Thank you very much neohippie I definitely need to go this route unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by neohippie View Post
    Family Law Rules Forms — Ontario Court Services

The link is to the Family Court forms. Contempt is Form 31. You call ahead and talk to a court officer to get a date. Then fill out the form and go to the court house. Get it commissioned there and then photocopy it 2 times (go elsewhere if possible, photocopies are expensive.) Serve one copy to him, and keep one for your files. Go back to the courthouse and file the contempt paper as well as a 6B affidavit of service.
    On the court date, the judge will order he provide the information neccessary by a certain date. If he doesn't, file contempt again. Eventually, the punishment by the judge will get harsher, hopefully it doesn't take too many tries!

source: been doing my own Family Law work for 4 years
    do you know the filing fees?

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    do you know the filing fees?

No filing fees, just a photocopying fee if you do it there.
    Although I should mention, Contempt Forms are one of the forms you (as a party in the case) cannot serve yourself
    http://www.ontariocourtforms.on.ca/f...t-EN-Mar10.pdf

But you could send the papers registered letter, courier or fax to the lawyer/other party. Alternatively, a friend or family member who is over 18 can serve them.

If that is not an option, then you may have to hire a process server, which runs anywhere from $25-$100. We got a process server once only, and she was just hanging around the courthouse, so I am not sure how to go about finding one.

Quote Originally Posted by neohippie View Post
    No filing fees, just a photocopying fee if you do it there.
    Although I should mention, Contempt Forms are one of the forms you (as a party in the case) cannot serve yourself
    http://www.ontariocourtforms.on.ca/f...t-EN-Mar10.pdf

But you could send the papers registered letter, courier or fax to the lawyer/other party. Alternatively, a friend or family member who is over 18 can serve them.

If that is not an option, then you may have to hire a process server, which runs anywhere from $25-$100. We got a process server once only, and she was just hanging around the courthouse, so I am not sure how to go about finding one.
    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast