Default dont know how to divide time between the needs of either baby or toddler.....

i have a toddler DD 2.9yrs and DS 6 months. DS sleeps amazingly and can have great naps if i am home and consistent with it i can get him on an excellent schedule. DD was never a great sleeper growing up and she doesn't nap at home anymore. she is quite the active, maybe even spirited child. so i need to keep her busy and occupied and entertained, while at the same time my little guy needs his precious sleep to grow and what not. so i can't be home all day which is what it feels like i have been doing. i want to go out but my little guy doesn't take good naps out in the stroller or carseat. it always ends up being a minute cat nap or something. i dont want him to be sleep deprived either, or lose his great sleeping pettern which might happen. i just for some reason dont feel i am tending to both their needs properly. i try going during his wake period which was only 2 hrs before during the afternoon, as he slept 2 hrs in am and 2 hrs in pm then up for 3 before bedtime.

i just wish i could go to the park and museum and things like that without worrying about nap time or having a fussy baby. maybe i just have to wait a bit before taking them both out?? maybe my little guy is still too young? but then i feel like i am missing out on the learning opportunities of my DD at this young age where she is supposed to explore and learn.....bah...feeling a little lost....

Expert Forum User

baby carrier? my dd will sleep in there much easier than the stroller without fussing and its easier to get around places too

My DS is just about 6 months old and sleeps about 2 hours in the am and then has 2 1 hour naps in the afternoon and late afternoon. If we are planning to be out i make sure he gets at least one good nap throughout the day to avoid major meltdowns later. Can you skip one or have one be a carseat/stroller nap and still get by without fussiness?

It can be hard to plan activities and i only have him to worry about! I also feel like i'm cooped up at home a lot and wish i could be out doing things more but some days its just not worth the crabbiness or lack of sleep that night. Hopefully you can work out a way to be able to do activities with both of them!
    DS born December 17, 2011

I agree about the baby carrier, a lot of babies will sleep all snuggled in close to mom.
    What about visiting people? That counts as an activity, if you get your DD in a new place it will be exciting (hopefully) for her. Then your DS can nap there?
    I don't know what your house is like, we rent but have a backyard. When DS2 is napping, I take DS1 out and do simple things like throw rocks in a puddle, or try and collect all the sticks we can, or draw Blue's Clue's on everything in sight with chalk. I figure that way DS1 is still getting some special time, plus outdoors.

Expert Forum User

My oldest two are the same age apart. When they were that age my theory was mornings were for older child, afternoons were for relaxing at home so younger could get some quality sleep. So mornings we would do something fun like go to the park, or grocery store, or playgroup, or play date. Afternoons were more relaxed at home.

Then after supper we'd usually go for a family walk or out into the backyard to play.