Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Kumon or Oxford Learning?

I have posted before about ds having some trouble with combining sounds and his sight words. We have worked at it, but he just gets so discouraged very quickly. I have a meeting with his teacher tomorrow, she said she got a phonological report (sp? i can't even spell phoenics, so he's in trouble ) LOL and she has some suggestions.

I am really hoping he is not in big trouble with this, but I want him to be ready for grade 1, so I contacted Oxford Learning centre which is right down the street and I got a really good feeling from the person I chatted with on the phone.

Price is $37/session and they recommend a minimum of 2 sessions/wk.

I have also tried to contact Kumon regarding their reading program, but can't get a hold of anyone. Their price online states $120/month, but I don't know how many sessions that is.

Has anyone ever used either places? and if so, did you like it?

TIA

I am in the same situation as you.

Funny enough I also contacted Kumon and have not received a phone call back. I am very disappointed in that and at this point would not use them if they did call back or for that matter ever really recommend them to someone else.

Good to know about Oxford Learning. We had contacted a few people on kijiji about private tutoring. We had one say she would charge $30/hr. At this point I am unsure if DS would even sit and concentrate for an hour. I was kind of hoping we could work with him over the summer and re-assess where we are come Sept.

I will be watching this thread though for others that have experienced other tutoring type places.

Expert Forum User

I would go with Kumon. I haven't personally tried it but I had friends who did growing up. I was in Oxford Learning. I felt like they thought I was stupid. They were trying to figure out exactly what was missing in my math that made me struggle but I was in grade 8 at the time and they made me do grade 2 math. I refused to go back and explained to my parents why.

I got a 70 in grade 9 math by the way with the help of a tutor. . .

Expert Forum User

I worked at Oxford learning as a tutor. I wouldn't send my kids there. It's all worksheets. Plus the tutors don't need to have any specific skills to work there.
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

Expert Forum User

A good friend of mine and her husband have recently started a tutoring business.
    Her husband used to work at Oxford and said something similar to toystorymom.
    They both have B.Ed's and are well-travelled, well educated and wonderful with children.
    Here is there website:

ACUITY - Home

Formerly Jacksmommy
    Becky ~ Mom to two busy boys, Jack & Ben

~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind~
    ~Dr. Seuss~

Expert Forum User

Oh and don't forget the assessment fee that they nail you with. It's expensive.

Expert Forum User

I wouldn't send kids to Kumon. IME, it is all workbooks and there aren't really any qualifications to work there--many highschool students are doing the tutoring, regardless of what skills they have themselves.

Expert Forum User

You can buy Kumon work books at Chapters I believe.

What about checking out scholar's choice or another educational book store for alternate methods of teaching phonetics?

eek!! Now I feel so confused. I picked up a game at scholars choice on Sat for sight words. I am meeting with his teacher after school today, so I'm not even sure what she is going to say or suggest.

By worksheets do you mean they just sit them down and help them complete the sheets? I can do that myself.

Bookworm- I will check out your friends site. thanx!!

I have recently had the assesment at Oxford and was really satisfied as to what they found. It confirmed alot of what was happening at the school level. It identified my dd's strengths and weaknesses. She was found to have auditory challenges and responds much better to visuals. Her reading was found found to be above average. Her math is below level. We have used the assessment to work with her teacher and identify areas that she needs help with.
    The difference between other places is that tutoring focuses more on one aspect of learning. Oxfords approach develops academic skills/learning skills and learning awareness. Problem solving,organizing information,they focus on having the kids think for themselves. From what I know the teachers are all qualified. We are holding off until the next grade to see about going forward but it has helped us identify some things. One thing I would not do is hire someone from Kijiji-I have did that in the past with my other children-total waste of time. They might be “smart“ but unable to teach. I guess also it depends on the age of your child-they all develop so differently.

Has anyone tried Sylvan?

Expert Forum User

When I worked at oxford, each child had their own tray of worksheets that they would complete in a session. The worksheets would be tailored to what the child needed help with. The tutor would check their work, answer questions etc. they are graduating high school or university aged students typically looking for extra money. I do love the motivation in the room though. Do something right and they throw you a fish. Inspired by the seattle fish market.

I am looking for a grade one tutor in St. Thomas if anuone has any recommendations.

I sent DS#3 to Kumon for math. It is repetitive work sheets and they do 1 hour once or twice a week and then they send homework sheets to be done every day. It was a fight to get them done at home. He slightly improved but still used his fingers for all adding. This type of learning would help if you child has no Learning issues and just needs to learn by rote. (repetition) After further assessment it turned out my DS had learning disabilities and has a IEP as an exceptional student with modifications ( can use a calculator and a laptop, more time, LESS questions) He is graduating Grade 8 soon and I can't say that Kumon helped him at all and it was $90 a month then for 2 - 1 hr sessions per week plus homework.

He tried the English/ reading program and it wasn't much better. I worked with him at home with phonics games and workbooks I purchased. Turns out he also has a disability in reading and writing. We just kept reading to him so that even if he wasn't the one doing the reading he would get the benefit of literature. Finally this year he found a series of books that he enjoys reading (Diary of a wimpy kid).

Thumbs up Oxford Learning all the way

We started with Oxford Learning (North Location) in April this year. Highly recommend it - organized, professional, and well run. We have experience with a number of different instructors at the north location and all were great. We have used private tutors before, and the advantages of the Oxford program were evident in the first few weeks. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Absolutely YES!!! You get what you pay for and this is money well spent. The tailored programs coupled with the high level of service offered make this the perfect choice for students needing catch up help or just a little more challenge. Oxford has met with our school teachers and provided invaluable support to the school. Our kids' teachers are commenting that they wish all students could have the extra personalized program work that Oxford offers.

All three of our children love Oxford and ask to go regularly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast