Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    M2M
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default summer school for grade 1

Markus got a letter home stating the school would like him to take summer school literacy classes. This will help strengthen his weaknesses in literacy for grade 2. I of course want him to succeed in schooling, so it was a no brainer to sign him up.

But at the same time its disappointing because he has already come a loooong way in his reading ( he went from a level 3 to a level 14 in a week, not because he became super smart, he just wasn't applying himself before) and now he will go 4 days a week july and august. If he misses a day he has to leave the program.

We had a pretty busy summer planned, and this has put a stop to all plans.

Noyt their fault at all. Obviously. Im not mad with the school, the program was not mandetory, but I'm still a tad bit bummed.

I wanted to hang out and get out of routine this summer. Before the baby comes, and before nolan starts in september. But we will be doing the school routine july and august.

The original program was 12 days (so 3 weeks in july) but they registered him for a secondary program for august too.

I have heard really good things about the program. I am sure he will do great. I know what you mean though about the whole routine thing and wanting a break from it.

I have a feeling my son will be getting one of those letters next year when he is in Grade 1.

M2M

I love the idea of the program. I think its going to do a lot of good things.

Expert Forum User

Maybe just do the July program and work with him at home for August? I wouldn't be happy about the full summer. I know you want him to succeed, but the entire summer seems a bit much to me for gr 1/2.

What did you do to encourage before? I don't know anything about the levels, but that seems great to go from level 3 to 14 in a week. What is the expected level at the beginning of gr 2?

Expert Forum User

They want dd1 to go but we are in Florida those days.

It would have been really good for her.
    Scentsy Rep. on Facebook Perfectly-Scented Scentsy my website www.perfectly-scented.scentsy.ca

Fundraising to get our daughter a service dog. please feel free to visit her fundraising page https://www.facebook.com/groups/415637608516807/

SPARKLE TATTOO!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Danas...41850885905215

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I would do July, then think about August as it comes up as far as your plans go.

There are other countries who continue school year round, their kids are light years ahead.

And it's not a full day. I don't like the idea of year round school without some kind of summer break.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Re-reading, if he went from a level 3 to 14 in a week, I think he would benefit from the consistency of the program.

How long is the program every day?
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

M2M

Quote Originally Posted by ChinUp View Post
    Re-reading, if he went from a level 3 to 14 in a week, I think he would benefit from the consistency of the program.

How long is the program every day?
    He goes from 9 until 12. He knows how to read, he just has a huge power struggle with his teacher. His note even says that he is right where he needs to be, and if there wasn't such a power struggle with getting him to do the reading, then he wouldn't have received the letter.

He's a little me, he's stubborn and thick headed. He would much rather act like he doesn't know how to do something, than apply himself and set expectations. Its frustrating, especially when his school says how smart he is, but he just doesn't want to do the work. So maybe this will aid in showing him that there are consequences to not doing what's expected of him?

It is only my opinion but I would say no. He's the same age as my oldest and there is no way I would want him in a school program for the summer. He needs the break. What about working with him at home instead?My belief is that reading is not something to be forced. It clicks when kids are ready and interested. It sounds like Markus can read but is choosing not to give it his full attention right now. To me that would be ok, but of course it's up to you, I'm just offering a different take on the situation.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

That seems like such a long program. 3 hours everyday all summer? When does he get to be a kid? I would only do it for July and not the whole summer. Although part of me says don't do it at all. Find someone to come tutor him. Once a week instead!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

DD1 was in that program and I think it helped her. She was behind because of her hearing issues.

She didn't seem to mind it and she made some new friends.

Expert Forum User

What about doing July and then also signing him up for a reading challenge program at the library? (St .Thomas has one of those so I'd assume London does too?)

Expert Forum User

DD did that program, although I only think she did one month. It didn't run all summer for her.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

My oldest DS did that program when he was in gr1 (he's now in gr3) and it REALLY helped him! I was very impressed with the program & the teacher(s). He did it for 4 days/week for 3 weeks @ end of July-beginning of August.
    I'd personally sign him up for it if it were me & change summer plans around a bit if need be. It was well worth it for us.

Expert Forum User

So, how many other kids will be in his group if you really decide to do this? If he's right where he should be, do they mean, he's par with the class average, or he's where he should be as in level 14.
    May the wind always be at your back

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast