Default how to deal with outings and nap times of toddler and/or baby...do you come home?

how do you deal with outings/trips and baby nap times with 2 kids (toddler and baby)...do you come home in time for their nap time and settle them in their cribs etc? or do you just let them have their nap time in the stroller/car seat or when out and about??

i have a toddler and a baby, so when we do go out and about, sometimes its not a quick outing and we might run into the nap times so that i now have to let them sleep while out and about whether in a stroller or car seat, rather than come home to a routine to sleep train them to nap in their rooms or cribs.

i just find it hard to go out and come home in time for a nap time even though i know how important nap time is-and sleeping in their own beds.

how do you moms handle outings and nap time. do you rush out and and rush back in to make it in time for their nap time?? or do you just stay out and let them fall asleep as their body tells them to-when they are tired they will sleep??

just wondering whats the situation out there for all, thats all, thanks....

Expert Forum User

We always tried very hard to be home on time for naps. A little late was OK, but we rarely had them nap in strollers or the car. We used the book Healthy SLeep Habits, Happy Child and in there they say that “moving naps“ are not really naps at all - the quality of sleep is very poor. That was our approach - try to be home whenever possible. Sometimes it's not possible such as if you are on an all day outing, but for the most part yes. It sucks to feel cooped up at home all the time, but they need that consistency. It really makes life a lot easier in the long run.

Expert Forum User

I don't stress naps.

My baby will sleep in the carrier while I'm out shopping if he gets tired.

DS1 starts school in the fall so I don't push the nap. If he's tired enough he does sleep.

Both boys are pretty good at just going to bed early if they miss a nap. I have never revolved my life around the “routine“ of naps, they sleep when tired. I'd be stuck in the house all day if I waited for nap time to end.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

Expert Forum User

By the time baby #3 came along I was so busy with the big kids she had to sleep where/when she could. I tried (and still do) to be home for naps but I didn't revolve my life around them. I do realize a half ass nap can = a fussy child so I have to decide if it's worth it or not.

Expert Forum User

We try to be home in the afternoon so that we can have quiet time and so the baby can get in a better nap. He still naps for about 45 minutes in the morning, but he does that in the car, stroller, or while baby-wearing. I think if I tried to revolve around everyone's sleeping habits we wouldn't leave the house.

I try to work outings around naps but when possible. We are rarely out first thing in the morning so DS almost always gets his first nap in the crib. I am finding out how fussy he really gets if he doesn't get a decent nap so have been trying to make sure he gets them. That being said, we do not work our lives around them, he'll sleep if he's tired and if its worth it, i'll just deal with the fussiness.
    DS born December 17, 2011

Expert Forum User

When we were sleep training or attempting to set up a daily routine we made sure to be home at nap times. Once they were adjusted to the routine, though, we didn't stress about it. If they had the odd nap in the stroller or the car it was no big deal.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

For us I try to do most of my errands in the morning. I don't stress if she misses out on a morning nap, or just dozes in the stroller or something. It is more important to her night, to get a decent afternoon nap. So I try to be home in the afternoon or time it that a long car ride is around nap teim, if we're out of town.
    If all else fails and I had to be out most of the day or she got no decent naps I just strap her onto me in the carrier and she dozes in the evening to get her through til bedtime.

With a toddler, whose entire mood may be determined by a good nap, I'd time the outing so that I'm either home for nap time, or I'm going to be on the longest walk part of it so they'll sleep. I always figure the sleep they get in the stroller or car is about 1/2 the sleep value at home, so like an hour in the stroller is only half hour nap kwim? so if normally they sleep an hour i'd still try for a small nap at home later.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

My babies would sleep anywhere.

My toddler is fairly flexible with her nap time. She will go down anytime between 10:30am and 2:30pm. We've skipped a nap before and she was pretty miserable around 5:00pm. My life doesn't revolve around it, but I do try and allow some downtime for it.

Expert Forum User

I have to say I am extreamly lucky. I have an errand schedual. that gives me multiple options on when I can go out with only one kid while the other naps or both if they r up.

although its a blessing to have dh work from home so I can leave one baby sleeping and run out it is extreamly tiring for me to run back and forth to home and to errands all day with one kid or the other or both. and I always have to have my phone handy if a baby wakes up unsuspectedly I have to drop everything and get home in no time flat.

I shouldn't give anyone advice lol I wing it I do it all on the fly. I make it up as I go.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

We have to be home for naps... my DD2 will NOT sleep anywhere but her crib (or a playpen as the Home Daycare). That being said if she's exhausted she will fall asleep in her car seat but it's usually just a power nap, she doesn't stay sleeping for long. She won't fall asleep in a stroller or anything though... she likes her privacy while sleeping lol

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

most of the time we are home for naps .. now that they are older it's just one nap in the afternoon around 2 or 3pm for 1.5 hrs .. then we have the whole evening with happy kids
    ~ Mamabear to twins! ~