Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default March 29 Earth hour

I copied and pasted from this site http://www.earthhour.org/

Created to take a stand against the greatest threat our planet has ever faced, Earth Hour uses the simple action of turning off the lights for one hour to deliver a powerful message about the need for action on global warming.

This simple act has captured the hearts and minds of people all over the world. As a result, at 8pm March 29, 2008 millions of people in some of the world’s major capital cities, including Copenhagen, Toronto, Chicago, Melbourne, Brisbane and Tel Aviv will unite and switch off for Earth Hour.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone planning on participating? I am going to, even though it feels like me doing it won't make a diffirence. I figure if everyone felt that way no one would do it, so I will do my part and pass on a good message to my girls as well.

For sure I am. I can't imagine why anyone who could participate wouldn't. I'm thinking I'll take a walk around my neighbourhood then to see who else is participating...might be interesting. I think Earth Hour will be big.

It is a lovely idea and I will likely participate. I just don't like the time. Wouldn't it be more effective if it was say during business hours so that most businesses could participate by at least turning off the lights for one hour? Just a thought. I will ask at work if perhaps we could do something anyways.
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

aveymom

well this is my bday, so I likely will not be home but if I am , I will participate.

StacyLyn

We are, but we'll have to leave DD's night light and monitor on. Everything else will get unplugged/turned off.

.... I wonder how many Earth Hour babies will be born next December? Come on, really what else can you do for an hour by candle light??

Expert Forum User

I have finally signed up for this! Will be a good lesson for my girls! YAY!

girlsmum

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    We are, but we'll have to leave DD's night light and monitor on. Everything else will get unplugged/turned off.

.... I wonder how many Earth Hour babies will be born next December? Come on, really what else can you do for an hour by candle light??
    I think I'm a part of this group on facebook, I'll be happy to shut everything down for an hour here, but that's hilarious...........beginning the end of November-ish, the hospitals just might have to turn another wing into a 2 month obstetrical wing. The war-time babies were the baby boomers, what should we call this worldwide group??.............."candlelight babes of '08"? Never thought of this idea, good one turtle.

girlsmum

Just thought of the idea that if enough ppl participate, a satellite viewing for the world to see would be neat of the wave of darkness going around the world................that would be so cool, but only if enough ppl actually do it!

Just heard that schools are doing an Earth Hour today at 1pm so that they can do their part and educate the kids on the concept. I think it's a great idea! Did anyone else hear if it's board-wide or just a few keeners? I'm working from home today, so I think I may do it, too (just don't tell my supervisor - I'm supposed to be working online ).

I've downsized to a sweet little yellow brick home in Old East. My backyard is a haven for birds :)

Bumping this thread - remember to start tonight at 8 pm if you're participating in Earth Hour.
    Love seeketh not itself to please,
    Nor for itself hath any care,
    But for another gives its ease,
    And builds a Heaven in Hell's despair.

- William Blake (1757 - 1827)

girlsmum

Thanks for the bump OldGal, google home page has a black background to encourage people worldwide to join in. My teen is at a friend's tonight on the condition that they observe their one hour of darkness by candlelight at 8 p.m. and I've asked the girls to write an essay during that hour. Should be an interesting read about their thoughts on that hour.

We're all set here though for our hour of darkness!

They did talk about it at school yesterday, even my son said we have to turn the lights off. It will be convincing the Big Guy to turn off his computer for an hour (the horrors).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Just heard that schools are doing an Earth Hour today at 1pm so that they can do their part and educate the kids on the concept. I think it's a great idea! Did anyone else hear if it's board-wide or just a few keeners? I'm working from home today, so I think I may do it, too (just don't tell my supervisor - I'm supposed to be working online ).
    My kids said something about turning out the lights at school, but they are JK/SK, and it was all garbled up with who was late, who had to sit on the time out chair, why I didn't get to play in the house centre, etc.....But they know the lights at home go out tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmum View Post
    My teen is at a friend's tonight on the condition that they observe their one hour of darkness by candlelight at 8 p.m. and I've asked the girls to write an essay during that hour. Should be an interesting read about their thoughts on that hour.

We're all set here though for our hour of darkness!
    What are you trying to accomplish by doing this……. I am sure there more fun and interesting things a young girl could do to observe “earth hour” than to write an essay....not my idea of a fun evening for a child but JMO........
    We are going to observe earth hour with a family board game night by candle light

girlsmum

Quote Originally Posted by amyunicorn View Post
    They did talk about it at school yesterday, even my son said we have to turn the lights off. It will be convincing the Big Guy to turn off his computer for an hour (the horrors).
    Hey Amy.................you know where the breakers are in your house,lol. That'll keep him busy for that hour if you conveniently hide all your candles and he can't find his way to it, muah-ha-ha. If my network engineer DH can suggest we buy a nice firelog for our hour of non-power while the puter if OFF, this machine is partly his crack, anyone can do it,lol.

Tell him to nuggle up with Ava for your outage, should be fun for her, me........I'm gonna stand at the upstair window in the girls room and see how dark it gets at 8 tonight. I'll take pics too of the buildings I can see on Commissioners.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast