Default Sewing from a Pattern

So I'm attempting to sew some pj's for my kids using a Simplicity pattern. I've never sewn from a pattern before....holey overwhelming! I know I want to save my master pattern so I need some pattern tracing paper, Does anyone know what works, what doesn't?
    And of course any websites on how to sew from a pattern to help me get through this new adventure would be nice too!!

Expert Forum User

I use tissue paper if I'm only making one. If its something I plan to do over and over I trace it on tissue paper and then bristol board. You tube has some pretty good videos. My advice....take your time and press after each step. So much easier when everything is flat and wrinkle free. Use cotton or another non stretchy fabric for your first time. Stretchy and slippery fabrics are tricky and take practice.
    Last edited by MomLiz; 05-15-2012 at 07:36 AM.

in the kitchen, the garden, and the laundry room

I use patterns over and over again, I usually cut them to the largest size, then fold in and press where needed to fit smaller sizes. you can press the pattern on low dry heat and use it again and again.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by medaevalmom View Post
    I use patterns over and over again, I usually cut them to the largest size, then fold in and press where needed to fit smaller sizes. you can press the pattern on low dry heat and use it again and again.
    I do this too. And if it's curvy, I'll just cut directly under the pattern & wing it.

ok, so this is for kids sizes 3-6, I can just cut it at the size 6 and fold it on the size 3 and press a little? Does the pattern hold up, it seems really fragile!

I have another question! This may seem obvious buttt......Should I be finishing my fabric edges before I start sewing the pattern pieces together? The seam allowance is 5/8's which seems really big (?) What do I do with the huge seam on the inside?

Expert Forum User

You don't need to finish the seams before, just follow the instructions. Stop over-thinking the pattern.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Gill'sMama View Post
    ok, so this is for kids sizes 3-6, I can just cut it at the size 6 and fold it on the size 3 and press a little? Does the pattern hold up, it seems really fragile!
    You can do that. It will create some wear and tear on the pattern. If its something special trace it. I do that with vintage patterns that are pretty much irreplacable. Every day patterns that are easily available I will often cut it out. If I destroy the pattern I can always buy a new one. Things I make tons of like PJ bottoms I trace on bristol board because I use them so often they would be in pieces if I used the original.

Quote Originally Posted by Gill'sMama View Post
    I have another question! This may seem obvious buttt......Should I be finishing my fabric edges before I start sewing the pattern pieces together? The seam allowance is 5/8's which seems really big (?) What do I do with the huge seam on the inside?
    5/8“ is standard. If you don't have a serger and want a really professional look you can always do a french seam. Basically one seam at a time you sew the seam on the right side press flip and sew on the inside so all the seams are fully encased and don't show at all. You have to leave a slightly larger seam allowence. It takes practice but if you are super fussy like me and don't want any raw edges its a good solution.

How to sew a French seam: A basic sewing tutorial - YouTube

you can use pinking shears to cut the edges in a zigzag to prevent fraying. If you dont have any then you can stitch a zigzag stitch on each side of the margin/seam. The french seam mentioned previously works too depending upon the material.

Exam rolls work really well for tracing as the paper is very sheer, this is what I use (you should be able to buy one from a beauty store).