Question Stuttering at age 2.5

My 2 and a half year old daughter started stuttering quite bad this weekend. Has anyone had this happen to their child? I've heard she'll likely grow out of it?

Expert Forum User

Is it constant, or is she testing out sounds? It really depends on so many factors. About 6 months ago my 4yo started mispronouncing things and stuttering her 's' sounds. She stopped when we didn't point it out. At her age it was an attention thing, and maybe she was mimicking someone (not making fun of), but mimicking, but we didn't investigate because it went as quickly as it came.

When you are talking to your DD, don't correct her, just model proper sounds and emphasize the ones she stutters. If in a month or so you are still concerned, call Tyke Talk.

in the kitchen, the garden, and the laundry room

how fast is she talking?is she more excited than usual?
    it could be that she is trying to talk faster than she can actually form the sounds.

assure her you are listening, tell her to take a breath, the try again. sometimes this works for my boys.

Expert Forum User

DD2 is 2.5

I just noticed she started to stutter this past weekend too. Its not a real stutter, but more of a brain fart almost, just trying to get the right words to her mouth or something. DD1 went through that too around the same age. I am sure its something they all grow out of for the most part, but if it seems to be a constant thing, then bring the issue up at a dr's appointment and you'll be able to get a referral to tyke talk.
    XO
    Jessica

Independant Passion Party Consultant
    Join my group on Facebook

Both my girls stuttered. My second for almost a year on and off! I was told to not draw attention to it in any way. Just be there to listen to her get it out. Both girls outgrew it. I believe it is VERY common, especially at that age.

Expert Forum User

Very common at that age. It usually happens during a language explosion, for example when they go from saying just a few words together to talking complete sentences.

Do not draw attention to it, give her all the time she needs to get it out, and if she's really struggling/tired don't tax her, for example ask questions that have simple yes or no answers.

Chances are she'll grow out of it. If a few months go by and nothing has changed give Tyke Talk a call. Chances are you'll see an improvement well before then.

Thanks for the responses! She is repeating letters, such as M-M-M-M-Mummy and D-D-D-D-Daddy, mostly at the beginning of a sentence but sometimes in the middle as well. She is in a French daycare and is picking up a lot of the French now, so I hope it is just “a language explosion“.

My dd1 is 3.5 and few months ago she started stuttering and did so for about a month. At first we would try to help her out, but that didn't improve things, then read that you should not draw attention to it, so we just let her be, and she eventually stopped. I have heard and read that it is normal.

Her speech is better some days than others. It's hard not to finish a word for her when she can't seem to get it out. Any thoughts on if I should finish her words or not?

Expert Forum User

It usually gets worse when they are tired. Repeats at the beginning of sentences are a good sign meaning that they will probably go away. It's best not to finished words as in correct her, but give her plenty of time or change around the sentence.

At least as I understand it.

Thanks for the advice ladies!

Mine did the same at that age. She just turned three and it is already mostly gone.
    Willow
    Mama of David (6) and Mary (2)

My dd also dealt with this, it is now gone. It was like her mouth couldn't keep up with what she wanted to say.