Default Medical Office Administration

I am considering going back to school for medical office admin.

I have checked out Fanshawe and they offer a full time diploma or under the continuing education they offer a Health Care Office Assistant Certificate.

I would prefer to do the certificate since I can do it a few courses at a time. I am just wondering if the certificate will be considered enough for most hospitals, doctors etc to get a job once done. From what I can tell hospitals want you to have a diploma and not a certificate.

Anyone in this field and could help me decide what is the better route to go?

Administrator Site Admin

No advice but good luck which ever you choose.

It's not easy but can be very rewarding to go back to school
    Leslie

Expert Forum User

I have Legal Office Administration. I graduated in 2005 and worked in call centres/ McDonald's until 2008 when I finally got a job related to my education. Considering I have the 3 year diploma in Legal I would probably advise the diploma as well because of how difficult a time I had in finding anything and thinking those with the certificate would likely find it harder. However, I also have a lot of student loan still to pay back.

Thanks Leslie. I am leaning towards the certificate since I feel it will be a better fit for our family. I could still work part time to continue to bring in income as well.

I heard the Careerstep offers medical assistant training programs online, after which you can start working immediately. They do offer a bunch of other courses as well, all conducted online. I think it saves precious time and money, and is a good option for anyone looking to further their skill-set. Good luck!

Expert Forum User

I took med admin about 10yrs ago through Westervelt and with no experience in the field I was never able to gain employment in the field. For me it was a waste of an education and money. But going through fanshawe could be different

I have been looking into these myself and am curious if anyone has any information.

Need a car seat tech:
    www.londoncarseatsafety.com

I would call a few places and ask if they would hire you with that certificate. I am starting westervelt in two weeks for medical Admin. I talked to a few people that got jobs after going to westervelt so I am not worried about finding a job. It is going to be a tough 10 months with 2 young kids so I hope it pays off. Wish I had heard about this other program. Good luck
    Proud mom to ds born Sept. 2009 and dd born May 2012

I went through this program at CDI (now Everest) and was lucky to get a job in a physiotherapy clinic right after graduating. Most of these courses require you to do a work placement for a few weeks after graduation and that helped me to land my job.

I have been trying to get into the hospital for years, only once did I actually get an interview but bombed when they wanted me references and I wouldn't give my current employer.

I do enjoy my job but it can get very stressful. Wishing you the best of luck with whatever you decide

Expert Forum User

I took a Veterinary medical office admin course a few years ago.

I cant give any good advice, but I love the job and Med Admin is very similar, just with human patients.