Thread: Stammering 6yo

Default Stammering 6yo

My 6yo has a stammer. It is not a traditional stutter, at the beginning of words, but seems to be more of a place holder at the end of words. For instance, she will say " Mom, can we go to... to that place...ace... ace.. that place I like...ike..I like...ike.. called.... Cosmic Adventures!." This happens quite frequently, and is appreciably worsened when she is anxious, tired, or trying to get across a complicated thought. Her teacher has commented on it, saying that it is quite pronounced and she is concerned about it being a target of teasing.

So far, we've taken a wait and see approach. It cetainly doesn't seem to be affecting her interest in talking at all, and I've mostly assumed she'd out grow it. At 6 tho, she doesn't seem to be getting better, and I'm wondering if this is just a habit now. We've given her space to think out her thoughts, and encouraged her to take a breath and think through what she's trying to say. Sometimes if we know the word she's looking for, we might supply it after a second or two of letting her have a chance to get it. She is in french immersion, so her language skills might be challenged by learning 2 languages altho she excels at school.

What should my next steps be? Continue to let it go or time to make a move?

Dear Scoutycat,

You asked some great questions about stuttering. First of all, here's a little background information:

Stuttering is a communication disorder where the natural flow of speech is disrupted by repetitions (like-like-like this), blocks or stoppages (l_____ike this, where no sound comes out) and prolongations (lllllllike this). Some children (about 5%) go through a period of stuttering as their language develops, and the majority of these children will recover by late childhood. Early intervention is the best prevention tool.

Your child may be at higher risk of persistent stuttering if:
    - you have a family member who stutters
    - stuttering began after 3 and a half years of age
    - stuttering has lasted longer than 6-12 months
    - you have other speech and or language concerns

If you answered yes to any of the above 'warning bells,' I would suggest speaking with a Speech-Language Pathologist. We don't want children to begin avoiding words or talking situations. We also don't want to wait for children to develop anxiety or frustration about talking. Like anything difficult that your child might be going through, it's best to be open and honest when talking with him or her.

The Stuttering Foundation at Stuttering Foundation of America is also an excellent resource for tips and information about stuttering.

Best,

Brittany Rickard
    Speech-Language Pathologist, Reg. CASLPO
    Rejuvenate Health Services | 2386 Main Street | London, Ontario | (519) 652-0740