Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOFT sued?

Default SOFT sued?

Hey ladies,
    I had a friend text me saying she saw on the news last night that the SOFT clinic is being sued millions. I was at work so as soon as I got home I looked online everywhere and all I was able to find was the lawsuit back in November on Dr. Frank for negligence. Did anyone else hear this on the news? Was it the same case? I'm thankfully with Dr. Martin but didn't know if he was involved in this lawsuit as well. that is if there even is one. TIA

I don't know if this is the same one you are talking about but Dr Martin is involved in the one mentioned on the news

Expert Forum User

When I searched for it, I found this

Former patients suing doctor after complications |CTV Southwestern Ontario

It seems like it's just re-hashing the current lawsuit as part of a series they are doing. Doesn't seem like Dr. Martin has been named in a suit. I think he's considered her monitor now so he might be involved already.

Expert Forum User

When I searched for it, I found this

Former patients suing doctor after complications |CTV Southwestern Ontario

It seems like it's just re-hashing the current lawsuit as part of a series they are doing. Doesn't seem like Dr. Martin has been named in a suit. I think he's considered her monitor now so he might be involved already.

Expert Forum User

I found an old article from Aug/11 (I think) that talks about Dr. Martin being sued because of a woman from St. Thomas having to have her ovaries removed after 28 (!!) cycles of IUI. Let me see if I can find it again.......

A baby at any cost? | News | National Post

Expert Forum User

From what I recalled (I didn't pay that much attention to the news that night), but a lawsuit was being filed that named not just a lady doctor (who was under suspention of some duties), but the male doctor that recommend that they see the lady doctor even though the condition that she had, would not had allow a pregnancy and they were lead to believe that she was 'best at this proceedure'. I think this is the same story that you are refering to, if not... ignore.

Thank you ladies! yes its the one Donna mentioned. I sure as heck won't be doing 28 iuis so won't have to worry to much there. Looks like Doctor martin referred her to his wife, not mentioning shes on restriction because of lawsuits and he also had her do surguries that werent necessary.

Social Media Guru

She would have had to agree to have 28 IUI's so I mean after 6 years if she didn't do any research....its our responsibility to be informed and ask questions. Two pregancies obviously something went right.

Expert Forum User

I believe that article states that she did voice concerns about the high number of repeated cycles and Dr. Martin poo-pooed them.

Social Media Guru

See and I don't believe that one bit....as a patient of Dr. Martin's for 4 years (or there's about) I've always been the one making decisions about my treatment. I've always been sent home with information on procedures/ medicines etc I'm being advised to go on to make an informed decision and has always been told to make sure I research what I need to be comfortable with the decision I come to. Have I been given suggestions on what Dr. M thinks will work best and what his recommendations were...absolutely! Was my ideas ever poo-pooed on....not once! If it was up to Dr. Martin I would not be doing IUI for the eighth time we would have stopped at 6 and gone to IVF but I simply cannot afford it and so we (as a team) modified the program to what he thinks will work best and I agree to what me and DH can afford. I've been suggested to take ovidrel some months, some months I did as I felt it was a good cycle to spend the extra money on, some months I couldn't see the justification of it and turned it down.

As a long term patient I believe Dr. Martin does nothing but the upmost best for his patients, he is compassionate, caring and understands his field quite well.

Quite frankly I understand the womne's frustration and really if it didn't work for me, I could see me going through 28 IUI's to try desperately to have a baby. But believe me you DO NOT complete that many cycles of IUI without you wanting to as well. The firstration, disappointment, mood swings from the medicines, the inconvenience of going into the clinic before work, on weekends to test, to plan getaways on weekends/weekdays you are not going to be requiring attention, the ups and the downs, the fights you and your partner get into because of the frustration and the fear of the unknown, that many months of treatment takes desire and during treatment the upmost belief that this is the best possible route to go to, it is not a decision you make because “the doctor says so but I don't think he's right“.

I want to say a huge THANK YOU to Dr. Martin, because of him I'm not curled in agony in bed three weeks out of four in so much pain I would rather die then live...Dr. Martin has changed my entire way of living and if I do not get pregnant, I will still tip my hat to him and his wonderful staff at SOFT because if it wasn't for them my standard of living would not be where it is today.

Expert Forum User

It sounds like the 28 cycles were not consecutive but over many years, too. Like so many and then had baby #1, so many more then something else happened, then so many more and baby #2, etc.

I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I heard from a friend that was looking into going to the SOFT clinic that they were being sued because during the procedure something went wrong and now the women can never had children? I don't know if this is the same instanced referenced above or if it's recent, but I'll ask her next time I speak to her.

I had heard she has ovarian failure which can be caused by some fertility treatments. I can't remember specifically if it was IVF or IUI or just the medication

Sweet steps..I completely agree. Dr. Martin is a wonderful doctor! All the decisions made for my infertility were made by me with the information Dr. Martin provided. I hope you get your wish soon!!

If it wasn't for Dr Martin I would not be a mother. I am so thankful to him, he never pushed anything on me and was kind and compassionate to me, unlike the treatment I received at University Hospital(5yrs). My body did not respond well to the IVF drugs and I only had 1 embryo for transfer and Dr Martin placed that precious baby in the right spot and after 6 yrs I was finally PG. I educated myself during my years of procedures and I fully believe that we have to be proactive when it comes to our health.
    Last edited by Leanne; 04-16-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast