Default St. Thomas moms- Monsignor Morrison?

So I have been looking up different schools in our area and the closest school was southwold public school but they don't have full every day kindergarten and their before and after school program doesn't start until 730 when I start work at 7am. Our other options were St. Anne's and Monsignor Morrison in St. Thomas. I heard good things about St. Anne's but found out Monsignor Morrison is in our district and has an amazing before and after school program run by Milestones. Other then that I don't know anything about this school? has anyones children attended this school? What impression did you get? Good teachers/ principle? Any likes/dislikes? Another option could be Locke's PS but my Aunt is a teacher and has said to avoid that school. TIA

I think the reason why you were told to avoid Locke's is because of the area. Monsignor Morrison is in the same area. (the schools are side by side) But I have to say the community around those 2 schools has changed and the boundaries have changed. Now the boundaries include more new subdivisons and I don't find the area to be as “rough“ as it has been in the past.

oh really? Good to know! Ya we live all the way out in Fingal and the bus comes all the way out here.

Also, keep in mind that those schools that contain some rougher and needier areas also get more support programs within the school.

Another thing to consider is if you have a child in an area which is heavily populated by high achievers, it is harder for an individual student to “shine“. Schools with a blend of children from different backgrounds and socioeconomic statuses often makes it easier for individuals to “shine“.

Another thing to consider is I understand the fear of the rougher schools but at some point a child needs to learn skills on how to deal with conflict and challenges that sometimes those schools have. It provides a good base for when that child goes to high school and is surrounded by those same challenges.

Just my perspective

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I use to go there! however i doubt its the same as when i went there. but i had to say something lol.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

My dd is in jk at Morrison this year and we LOVE, LOVE', LOVE it! Her teacher is awesome as well as the ece also awesome! The school is very family oriented with school dances, movie night, family night that had activities and story time at christmas. The principal is great . I really have nothing bad to say about it. If you have any questions just give the office a call Mrs. Walt the secretary can help you!

If you live in fingal then you do not have the option to go to lockes because you would be southwold district. Your options would be Southwold, Morrison or Pierre Elliot Trudeau (french). Pierre Elliot does not have JK.And you need to be an active Catholic to attend Morrison. I would think most before and afterschool programs start at the same time. Another option would be to find a homecare provider on the same bus route as your school.

I guess it is how the saying goes: you hear something good you tell two people, you hear something bad you tell two hundred people. Lockes is much different than a few years ago and the principal there right now is awesome!! But in the same school you might hate one teacher and love another. That is the same at any school
    Last edited by million$fam; 03-21-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: to add

Expert Forum User

I have nothing great to say about Locke's. I know of a very bad bullying situation that was going on there not that long ago and the administration did nothing about it except dismiss it time after time. I don't know all the details other than the parents went to the school multiple times and nothing was ever done, and sadly, the victim ended up committing suicide. I didn't have a great opinion of it in the first place (not by reputation but because of things my SIL has told me and she used to go there) but since then I can't think good thoughts...and I don't even know if it's the same administration in there right now.

Morrison has a great reputation. Our neighbours kids go there and it is so family oriented! Our old neighbours didn't think it was quite as advanced as far as technology goes (DS goes to Trudeau and the PTA has raised money to have a smart board in every single room...vs Morrison who got their first one a couple of years ago, fewer computers for the students, etc. ). I don't know first hand, only from what I've heard.

Expert Forum User

I have nothing great to say about Locke's. I know of a very bad bullying situation that was going on there not that long ago and the administration did nothing about it except dismiss it time after time. I don't know all the details other than the parents went to the school multiple times and nothing was ever done, and sadly, the victim ended up committing suicide. I didn't have a great opinion of it in the first place (not by reputation but because of things my SIL has told me and she used to go there) but since then I can't think good thoughts...and I don't even know if it's the same administration in there right now.

Morrison has a great reputation. Our neighbours kids go there and it is so family oriented! Our old neighbours didn't think it was quite as advanced as far as technology goes (DS goes to Trudeau and the PTA has raised money to have a smart board in every single room...vs Morrison who got their first one a couple of years ago, fewer computers for the students, etc. ). I don't know first hand, only from what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by ZooMama View Post

Trudeau is a great school however there isn't a SmartBoard in every room and only a few were purchased by the PTA. The PTA does run an incredible hot lunch program weekly, supports field trips, author visits and school teams as well as many other things. Trudeau also has a before and after program run by Milestones.

Hi Finn,
    We live in Frome and my kids attend Southwold and I have wonderful things to say about that school! I know you need before/after care and this school isn't convenient for you now, but if in the future you consider Southwold, I think you'll be very happy!

We are in district for Morrison or Lockes (my son attends Lockes) and have nothing but great things to say about both schools. I think with the change in boundaires for Lockes it has really improved. The renos on Lockes are amazing. We really like all the teachers we have met this year, we came from Edward Street PS last year.

The Parent Associations at both schools really work hard for the students and both run great hot lunch programs. Lockes does have a kitchen and a few very dedicated parents who run the program and make many of the hot lunches on site. Morrison orders out for everything aside from hot dogs I believe. I know as a working parent it's hard to get involved but there is so much we as parents can do after school hours to be involved in our childrens school experience. I know for me being on the parent association and volunteering for the snack program helps me feel good about what I can contribute to my childrens experience at school and I feel like I know what is going on within the school. It's a great place to voice opinions and meet other parents in your community.

Good Luck in your decision

Thank you ladies. I think Monsignor Morrison will be the school he attends! Everyone has really helped us in our decision. Looking forward to September! Also, Piper I've talked about this with my husband and we will most likely go that route when he starts grade 1. Most of the neighbor kids attend that school, and we have heard nothing but great things about it

Finn, you will love this school. They staff are great there! I have not met anyone there that I have not liked.I wish that it was french immersion because if it was my ds would attend there as well as my dd. It is going to be a tough decision when she hits grade one whether or not we switch her over to trudeau where her brother goes.