Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Looking for a new job at the end of Mat Leave

The end of my mat leave is coming and I've decided to start looking to find a new job in the hopes of not returning to my previous job. Should I disclose to the potential employer that I have been on Mat leave? If not, will the employer feel like I've lied or mis-led them if I get hired and I haven't disclosed it? I feel like I'm lying if they ask me questions about what projects i'm currently working on and I have to talk about projects i worked on almost a year ago. But at the same time, I don't want them to mis-judge me because I haven't been in the work world for almost a year.

Also, because I have no control how quickly other companies hire, and I may have to go back to my old job for a short period of time. How often do women come back from mat leave and quit within a few months of returning?

I think that if they are asking you specific questions about work-related experiences, you should feel free to be honest about your maternity leave. If, on the other hand, the subject doesn't come up I wouldn't mention it. Go with your instincts!

Sometimes women come back from maternity leave and leave shortly thereafter. I wouldn't be concerned about it- you have to take care of yourself!

Good luck with your job search! Feel free to PM me if you have any interview-specific questions.