Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone Else Dealing With The Dreaded MONSTER???

I have no idea where Owen picked up that Monsters are bad, or that they are going to get him or even where the term came from for him, but lately I've had to do everything, including letting him sleep in my bed and spraying water to rid our house of monsters!

And tonight... Little Bear was on and he was nearly asleep on the couch and heard the word monster and ran clear through the house terrified! Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of said monters?! Go Away Monster Water seems to be a hit, but now with things on the TV... hmmm.... I hope this passes quickly!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I've always used the Monster Spray (I use Fabreeze, might as well make the room smell nicer!). I let him spray where he thinks we need it and then I spray too. Have to admit he was never too bad about the monsters and I have nooooo idea where it came from. Probably a book or show.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

the only monster in my house seems to be my 3 year old daughter

Expert Forum User

I think it is an age thing. A lot of her friends were talking about monsters at her age too for awhile. Haley has finally "forgotten" about them for the most part but it started around your ds's age. We didn't have to go to great lengths about it (ie monster water) but I did have to talk about how they aren't real, etc A LOT! Not sure if it would help, but actually the movie Monsters Inc helped Haley because all the monsters were friendly. We talked about how it would be great to have the big blue moster to cuddle with in bed.

Her new thing is "the old man in her room" that came to her a few weeks back and touched her cheek! Don't get me started on that one!!!
    Laura
    Mom to Haley (7) and Paige (5)

If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.
    ~Lewis Hine~

Her new thing is "the old man in her room" that came to her a few weeks back and touched her cheek! Don't get me started on that one!!![/QUOTE]

That is seriously creepy!
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Rather than tell my LO there is no such thing as monsters, I have always told him that mommy told the monsters that they are not allowed in his room, and that they have to stay outside. It has always worked wonders.
    Also, I have played "tickle monster" and "kissing monster" with him since he was a baby. He loves the attention, and has learned that not all "monsters" are scary ones!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by aidensmom View Post

Her new thing is "the old man in her room" that came to her a few weeks back and touched her cheek! Don't get me started on that one!!!

That is seriously creepy!
    Tell me about it! She talks about it a few times a day even still and it happened a couple weeks ago! I would deal with monsters over this ANY DAY! I don't know what to tell her!
    Laura
    Mom to Haley (7) and Paige (5)

If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.
    ~Lewis Hine~

Senior Member Madie&Logan's Mom's Avatar

Madie was petrified of Monsters for about a month when she had just turned 3. I bought her a special little flashlight and told her as well that I don't allow Monsters in the house. She spent some nights in our bed, but the phase passed.

I also showed her the friendly Monsters that she loved...Elmo, Grover etc.
    ~Christine~

Mom to Madison Anne (5) and Logan Douglas (2)

Well I'm glad to hear that it will pass.... we have talked about monsters and how I don't let them in our house and such, but it hasn't worked yet.... it's more about weird things he sees on TV that are getting to him... and if the lights are low at night.

He has never needed a light on at bedtime until now and I recently bought him a flashlight as well.

I'm not sure what I would do about him saying someone had touched him during sleep.... I would have no idea how to deal with that!! Good luck with that!

The only other thing besides monsters is the fact that he sometimes tells me that he has a hard time sleeping because his toys talk to him?! I think he means that they make noise because he tends to take so many to bed with him and sometimes I don't get them all in the dark....

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.... I'm off to share my bed once again... he wanted to curl up in there tonight.... have a good night everyone!

Expert Forum User

All I have ever dome is state that "mommy doesn't let monsters in the house" too. Works for us.. A friend of mine put a monster poster in her LO's room. This was the friendly monster that protected her son, and scared all of the others away. Worked for her.

My son went through a scared of monster phase a while back and we tried just about everything. I think just constantly reassuring him and trying different things to get him to feel safer helped. We did the spray bottle, special flashlight, extra night light and even a dream catcher. I think the dream catcher and the extra night light helped the most. It lasted less than one month. Eventually he forgot about it all together. Good luck.
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by lila's mum View Post
    All I have ever dome is state that "mommy doesn't let monsters in the house" too. Works for us.. A friend of mine put a monster poster in her LO's room. This was the friendly monster that protected her son, and scared all of the others away. Worked for her.
    I love the poster idea!! I'll have to remember that if we get the monster stage here! Not sure if we will or not.. because DS loves to BE the monster!

Quote Originally Posted by Haley's Mum View Post

For the first time yesterday, I overheard my son telling his friend who was visiting that he (DS) was playing with him "pretend friend". Later at supper, I asked about "his friend" and he said that he was 50 yrs old but he's still a kid. Weird eh?

Expert Forum User

Monsters are definitely a right of passage for the average three year old...if not Monsters fear of something else...spiders, ghosts, dark. As a developmental phase it sounds like everyone is being totally supportive of helping them get through it - I totally agree that you cannot 'dismiss' it cause for them they are totally real!

I have a little one in my care right now...her imaginary friend if 8...she has a chair at the table...but 'she no eat - just keep me good conpony', a blanket for bedtime and she loves to play in the playroom here....on occassion she makes messes and forgets to clean them up

We have a dragon here. The dragon is in the vents of the house and inside the bedroom closets. As long as the closet is closed at bedtime she's fine.

She doesn't really have any imaginary friends just yet but she has mentioned her big sister on occasion that goes to school during the day (??).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast