Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kangaroo care

Post kangaroo care

Hi...

Just wanted to encourage you NICU moms to do some research on Kangaroo care. I studied it recently (i'm studying with Dr. jack Newman) and it is UNBELIEVABLE the difference it can make for babies, esp preterm ones! It should be carried on for as long as possible both in hospital and at home.

Just a short blurb about kangaroo care: Also known as skin to skin contact, a baby (even a tiny tiny preemie) is held skin to skin at the mother's chest. The baby should be held more vertically than horizontally with her held tilted up (helps them breathe.) It has been PROVEN to helps baby maintain body temp, blood sugar, respiration and heart rate BETTER than an incubator. Studies were done in under developed places where there are very vew incubators to go around. Babies who had kangaroo care did better than babies in incubators, EVEN when they were born at earlier gestations and/or lower birth weights. Skin to skin calms mom and babe, helps bonding and milk supply. MOst importantly it is something that YOU can actually DO to HELP your precious preemie thrive (instead of sitting there feeling helpless!!)

Push those people in the NICU. Tell them you want Kangaroo care to be part of your baby's treatment!

The Lactationista
    I'm the Lactationista
    www.breastfeedingsupport.ca
    Ask me your breastfeeding questions!!!!!!!!!

Former lawyer turned crunchy-stay-at-home-mom to two blessings "Lucky" 06/02 and "Dolce" 08/06. Verision 3.0 is due this August 2011! I am passionate about breastfeeding and I am a breastfeeding counsellor, with training from the Newman Breastfeeding Clininc & Institute. I do private home visits in the LONDON area.

This is something more nurses need to be educated on, and/or hospital policy makers. Things may have changed in the past 7 years, but when my first daughter was born premature I was not "allowed" to hold her more than twice in 24 hours. Of course, I could have fought it, but when it's your first baby, you're pumped full of drugs, recovering from surgery and your baby is covered in tubes, you tend to take what the nurses/doctors say as gospel. :/

Like doctor newman says, doctors give "advice" not, "commandments." Too bad so many of THEM don't know it!!!

In my experience many nurses do know about kangaroo care, and profess to be supporters of it; same with doctors. For reasons i don't understand, they won't suggest it, but they very frequently will support it. Funny thing is, that THEY are the ones WE are relying on to tell us what is in our infants best interests!!!!!

sigh.

L
    I'm the Lactationista

Former lawyer turned crunchy-stay-at-home-mom to two blessings "Lucky" 06/02 and "Dolce" 08/06. Verision 3.0 is due this August 2011! I am passionate about breastfeeding and I am a breastfeeding counsellor, with training from the Newman Breastfeeding Clininc & Institute. I do private home visits in the LONDON area.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Pikajen- I know what you mean. I wasn't even doped up on drugs recovering from a section, and I still wasn't able to hold Nathan (second child too!) until he was almost 24 hrs old.. let alone nurse him!

I was even told he would never nurse, but a St Joes lactation consultant, and my OB. Ha, I guess I proved them wrong when he nursed for just over a year didn't I?

You go girl. Nicely done!!!!!
    I'm the Lactationista

My son was in the NICU in January. This is something that we were able to do and they encouraged it very much! At first I was like why can't I just hold my baby normally......once I got into the proper position is was AMAZING!!!!!!!
    Catherine
    Mama of 2 wonderful Children,
    July 2006 & January 2008

I was also encouraged to do Kangaroo Care in SJHC NICU when my DD was born at 32 weeks in July 2006. I remember doing Kangaroo care in the side room with two other mothers, and even though it was really crowded, the nurses did whatever they could to ensure we got that time in. They were very supportive.
    Mama to 4 bitty girls - 8 yrs, 5 yrs, 3 yrs, and 21 mos.

MamaAssist London - www.mamaassist.com
    Bellycasting, Relaxation Sessions, Doula Services and Organic Mom and Baby Care products

When Ryan was born in Nov. 2004, once he got big enough that he was able to tolerate being held the nurses at St.Joe's were very encouraging to do kangaroo care with him. I was a bit reluctant at first but they very encouraging to try it and once I did. I did it as much as possible.

HippieMama

I think the St. Joe's NICU is quite progressive in a lot of ways - I've heard from other NICU moms (in other cities) about opposition to kangaroo care from the team, but once my son's breathing stabilized, we were supported in our decision to hold him constantly when we were there. If we couldn't do that, I'd have thrown a fit pretty damn quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by HippieMama View Post
    I think the St. Joe's NICU is quite progressive in a lot of ways - I've heard from other NICU moms (in other cities) about opposition to kangaroo care from the team, but once my son's breathing stabilized, we were supported in our decision to hold him constantly when we were there. If we couldn't do that, I'd have thrown a fit pretty damn quickly.
    I agree, Kang. care was encouraged 2-3 times a day and my husband and myself took full adv. of it. They even encouraged our teenage sons to hold their brother. The NICU staff at St. Joe's is world class!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My little ones was in the PCCU with her chest open and on a vent, I couldnt hold her because of this for a long time. However I knew the benifits of kangeroo care so i did the best I could. I was always touching her hand, or her foot or her head...I really think even that small bit of contact made a huge difference.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Whitehills...Two blocks from my childhood home!

When my twin nephews where in NICU, the nurses were amazed that my SIL and Bro hadn't been offered to do that before she offered it. THe boys were ok to be taken out of thier pods for a few..My SIL and Bro loved every minute of it. It was such a bonding experience for both of them. I have pics of my bro holding Logan (his mini self) and my SIL holding Reece.

Now that warms my heart!

L
    I'm the Lactationista

Expert Forum User

I have a NICU baby, not a preemie, and i never did kangaroo care, but did hold my daughter as often as she tolerated at first, then once she was off the vent, i held her for the entire visit every night
    Madison - Setember 20,2002
    Emma - June 12,2006 RCDH
    Carter- November 3, 2009

That is awesome.

The fact is that every baby can't be held skin to skin 24/7. Consider twins, or higher order multiples, they get less contact with their mother than singletons do. Circumstance often interferes with what is ideal. Sometimes a baby on a vent CAN be held skin to skin. Sometimes though that is beyond what even the mother is comfortable with and sometimes the hospital flat out will not allow it.

The main point of kangaroo care is getting that baby as closely as possible to her natural habitat, which is skin to skin with the mother. Every BIT of contact helps tremendously. The mere sound of your voice probably aided that little baby more than science can measure!! Good for you!
    I'm the Lactationista

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast