Default how much to add 2nd bathroom

ballpark figure? just for the basic plumbing and electrical.. im assuming dh can do the rest of the work

Expert Forum User

You mean for rough-in plumbing? Basically all the piping present with no fixtures (faucets, drains, toilet etc) - it would depend on many factors - how far away the plumbing they are going to tap into? How many walls, ceilings etc will have to be chased (are the rooms under / around finished)? Copper or plastic water supply? To name a few of the things that affect price?
    Electrical - the same, available circuits on your existing panel? how far the electrical will have to be chased? If you have a breaker panel - washroom circuits have to be on their own GFI breaker - they cost around $185 for the breaker alone. Also don't forget you will want power for an exhaust fan in that washroom - that fan will have to vent to outside.

yes rough in plumbing and electrical. no idea about any of your other questions.. would you say it could probably be done for under $5k on average? we are considering buying a new home and there seems to be some deals for one bathroom homes.

another odd question:

would it be cheaper to put in a double detached garage (assuming dh can do most of the work, lol), or the 2nd bathroom idea?

another odd question:

would it be cheaper to put in a double detached garage (assuming dh can do most of the work, lol), or the 2nd bathroom idea?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mommy26 View Post
    yes rough in plumbing and electrical. no idea about any of your other questions.. would you say it could probably be done for under $5k on average? we are considering buying a new home and there seems to be some deals for one bathroom homes.
    I can't even fathom a guess without the answers to the questions. As an example - if you were adding a main floor powder room with just a sink and toilet and the basement is accessible and unfinished - I think it would be no problem to get the plumbing and electrical for less then $5000. If you are adding a second floor washroom with a tub, sink and toilet - AND you have to go through walls, floors, and ceilings, to get to the main pipes / electrical - then you could easily eat up $5,000 and then some.

Our main floor (three piece) washroom was renovated (moved plumbing / electrical - no new) for around $7,000 but we did ALL the labour (including plumbing / electrical) ourselves - so that was for materials alone.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mommy26 View Post
    another odd question:

Again - depends.
    Chances are a detached garage would cost significantly more then a bathroom addition - but I do not know basics like - height, doors (automatic) electrical - does it have to be brought in from the street - that can cost $10,000 by itself. Also you would need a building permit to put up a detached dwelling and if your dealing with the city of London it can be a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by gogomom View Post

Our main floor (three piece) washroom was renovated (moved plumbing / electrical - no new) for around $7,000 but we did ALL the labour (including plumbing / electrical) ourselves - so that was for materials alone.
    At first I thought you meant you put nothing new in the bathroom and did all the work and it STILL cost you $7000...then I realized you meant no new electrical/plumbing.

mommy26, if you're not picky; you can pick up used bathroom fixtures off kijiji for a fraction of the price of putting in new & it doesn't mean you have to have a green tub & pale pink toilet.

We are also buying a new house & planning to frame in a bathroom in the basement with shower, toilet, sink. I've priced the fixtures and it will cost us less than $500 (we are doing a pedestal sink) to get those three things. Then we factor in frame, drywall, flooring (if you have a small enough space, you can get tile for a great deal) & that's about $1500 if you're doing it yourself. Plumbing and electrical are on top of that and are def the most expensive but as gogomom pointed out, it's hard to say how much it would be without knowing the set up of your house.

Social Media Guru

They have plumbers that give free estimates. I would recommend calling and having an estimate done like pp have said it can vastly differ depending on what needs to be done.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by McCarthy3 View Post
    Then we factor in frame, drywall, flooring (if you have a small enough space, you can get tile for a great deal) & that's about $1500 if you're doing it yourself. Plumbing and electrical are on top of that and are def the most expensive but as gogomom pointed out, it's hard to say how much it would be without knowing the set up of your house.
    $1500 for all the framing / drywall / concrete board / flooring - that's pretty good - wish I knew where you get your lumber from

I spent more then $1,500 on things like concrete board, plywood, drywall & drywall compound, adhesives, caulking, lumber for blocking... and we didn't change the footprint of the bathroom at all - so no framing / studs.

Other costs include -
    $200 for plumbing supply (wax seals, misc piping etc) $1000 tile supply only (floors, 4' up all the walls and to the ceiling in the shower), another $200 for grout and adhesives, paint $100, Bathtub $450, Pedestal Sink $350, Shower and Tub faucets $1,200, Toilet $325, Ceiling Fan (electrical, light, switch, exhaust to exterior) $400, New light fixture $200, Towel Bars mirrors and accessories $200....

I looked at lots of faucets - I know the one I picked was expensive, but worth it. I only wish we had put in glass doors on the tub - oh well - someday.....
    Last edited by gogomom; 02-21-2012 at 02:24 PM.