Thread: Healthy Eating

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Healthy Eating

I can't believe it took me so long to try this!! It's so CHEAP! I made it a couple days ago and am turning it into Greek yogurt for me and to copy the Mini-Go's for the kids. Mini-go's costing $3.50/6 and Greek yogurt at $3.50 for 2 cups, this cost me about $3.50 to make 6 cups of Greek yogurt!! And it tastes good too! More milky than that tart yogurt taste from the store. I haven't mixed fruit in with it, just plain so far.

YOGURT A Year of Slow Cooking: You Can Make Yogurt in Your CrockPot!
    8 cups (half-gallon) of whole milk--pasteurized and homogenized is fine, but do NOT use ultra-pasteurized. (Debbie recommends starting with whole milk until you get the hang of yogurt-making)
    --1/2 cup store-bought natural, live/active culture plain yogurt (you need to have a starter. Once you have made your own, you can use that as a starter)
    --frozen/fresh fruit for flavoring
    --thick bath towel
    The Directions.
    This takes a while. Make your yogurt on a weekend day when you are home to monitor.
    I used a 4 quart crockpot. This is so exciting. My fingers are shaking!
    Plug in your crockpot and turn to low. Add an entire half gallon of milk. Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.
    Unplug your crockpot. Leave the cover on, and let it sit for 3 hours.
    When 3 hours have passed, scoop out 2 cups of the warmish milk and put it in a bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup of store-bought live/active culture yogurt. Then dump the bowl contents back into the crockpot. Stir to combine.
    Put the lid back on your crockpot. Keep it unplugged, and wrap a heavy bath towel all the way around the crock for insulation.

Go to bed, or let it sit for 8 hours.
    In the morning, the yogurt will have thickened---it's not as thick as store-bought yogurt, but has the consistency of low-fat plain yogurt.
    Blend in batches with your favorite fruit. I did mango, strawberry, and blueberry. When you blend in the fruit, bubbles will form and might bother you. They aren't a big deal, and will settle eventually.
    Chill in a plastic container(s) in the refrigerator. Your fresh yogurt will last 7-10 days. Save 1/2 cup as a starter to make a new batch.

**To make it Greek/thick, put it in a coffee filter or cheese cloth and put it over a bowl. Leave it a few hours/overnight and voila! I used the reusable coffee filter from our coffee machine that we never use.

Default Healthy Eating

Post your recipes for "healthy living"