2 tablespoons butter
    1 finely chopped onion
    1 finely chopped celery stalk
    3 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
    8 cups broccoli florets
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups milk

Melt the 2 tablespoons of butter in a pan - a medium stock pot is the best to use. Add the finely chopped onions and celery and saute until soft.

Add the broccoli and the stock to the pan. You can use either chicken or vegetable stock depending on your taste and preference. Simmer for approx 10 minutes until the broccoli is tender. Be careful not to overcook as this spoils the flavor. Puree the soup in a blender and our back into the saucepan.

In a separate pan make a roux mixture (the basis for many sauces). This is what adds the creamy taste and texture.

Heat the 3 tablespoons of butter until melted. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour. When the butter and flour are combined return to the heat for a short while.

Remove the roux mixture from the heat and slowly add the milk until all of it is combined. If it becomes lumpy use a whisk to smooth it out. Return the mixture to the heat and gently heat. The mixture will gradually thicken.

Add the roux to your cooked broccoli and gently reheat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Expert Forum User

Just made homemade Cream of Tomato for lunch . . . eating it as we speak.

1 large can dices tomatoes
    1 can evaporated milk
    salt and pepper to taste
    3 tbsp margarine or butter
    3 tbsp flour
    1/4 cup celery finely diced
    1/4 cup onion finely diced
    1/4 cup basil (or your favourite herb) chopped

Saute celery and onions in margaine until translucent. Add flour to make a roux. Whisk smooth. Slowly add evaporated milk. Stir ocasionally until thickened. stir in tomatoes and basil, stirring occasionally until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
    Mama of two little beauties and one handsome little man!
    Diaper cakes and more: http://www.abcgiftboutique.ca

Default Curried Chicken Soup

Becky Mom to X and C

Expert Forum User

Default Cream of Potato Soup

chop:
    1 onion
    1 or 2 celery stalks
    a carrot or two
    3 ned potatoes
    2 cloves garlic (or more)
    with 1/4 c of the chicken stock (or more, just so it doen't run completely dry) cook until soft.

sprinke in:
    5 tbsp flour and stir for a couple of minutes (it gets pasty)

add:
    2 cups chicken stock
    1 heaping tbsp dijon mustard
    some black pepper (I like mine plain but you can add any seasonings you want: thyme, allspice, celery seed, cayenne pepper)

bring to simmer and add:
    2 cups milk
    Simmer to thicken, stirring frequently, until potatoes and soup are at the desired consistency.

(If I have broccoli I add it in the last 3-5 minutes before serving. You could also add peas, I add frozen peas to the kids soup to cool it down)
    Last edited by momx2; 01-19-2011 at 08:43 AM.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

Expert Forum User

Default "noodle soup"

boil 2.5 cups of water
    add 1 chicken or veg bouillon cube (I buy CelifibR from Lyn Dys, it's vegetarian, gluten free, no NSG added)
    set aside

heat, for a couple minutes:
    tsbp butter
    1 or 2 celery stalks
    1 or 2 carrots
    some onion
    zuchinni is good in it

add stock and some noodles
    (I use brown rice noodles and cook them seperately, then add into soup)

You can add left over chicen for chichen noodles soup.

You can add frozen peas to cool children's soup.
    Last edited by momx2; 01-19-2011 at 08:44 AM.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.~Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food
    If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases-David Suzuki
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world"- Mahatma Gandhi

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Soups and Stews

Loaded Baked Potato Soup
    • 1 lb. bacon, diced
    • 1 onion, diced
    • 5 large Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
    • 3 c. chicken stock
    • 3 T. butter
    • 3 T. flour
    • 1 1/2 c. milk
    • 3 green onions, sliced
    • 3/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
    • 1/2 t. black pepper
    • Sour cream for garnish, optional
    1. In a large stock pot, cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain and set aside. Drain all but 2 T. of bacon grease from the pot. Cook the onions in the remaining bacon grease for about 5 minutes, until tender.
    2. Add potatoes and chicken stock to pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer about 20 minutes, until potatoes are tender. With a slotted spoon, remove a few scoops of potatoes. Place in a bowl and mash with a fork. Set aside.
    3. In a small sauce pan, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, bring to a boil and simmer until thickened. Slowly stir in to stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer. Stir mashed potatoes back into pot.
    4. Add 1/2 c. shredded cheese, three-fourths of the bacon and half the sliced green onions to pot. Add pepper. Stir to combine. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
    5. To serve, ladle soup into individual bowls and top with some shredded cheese, bacon, green onions and optional sour cream.

Loaded Baked Potato Soup : Cooking During Stolen Moments

Made this tonight. Used turkey bacon instead of pork. Heavenly. Could've eaten the whole pot and have the stomach ache to prove it. Even my super picky DD1 loved it.

Took some time to cook and is involved, but simple. So worth it. Make it at nap time and warm it up for dinner.

Expert Forum User

Default my so easy a pregnant lady could do it chicken soup.

in the morning
    grab chicken as much or as little as you want.

I used 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts.
    (you canuse bone-in and skin but you will have to pick it out after frozen of fresh works fine)

get the biggest pot you have. mine is about 8L

fill with water and chicken and turn on high bring to a boil.
    once it comes to a boil turn to medium low and let it cook.
    sometime around lunch when you remember you were cooking.
    add carrots, celerey (feel free to add other vegtables too)and stir the chicken to break it up. if you want to you can pick it out and cut it into smaller pieces.

add 1 pouch of side dish rice. if you want to add the powder with it too.
    add 3-4 big table spoons (depending on how big your pot is) of powdered chicken stock. or what ever kind of stock you want. fill the rest of the pot back up with water and turn on high again.
    let boil for about 10 mins to cook the rice.
    ( if you would prefer skip the rice and add any pasta you like works great too)
    Salt and peper to taste.

let cool and put into jars to freeze and/ or serve for dinner.
    ~Who ever said "don't cry over spilt milk" has never been a breast feeding mother with latch issues standing over a puddle

Default Chili with chocolate

Chili with Chocolate

1lb ground beef
    1 md onion
    1 clove garlic

Cook and stir together. Drain fat.

Put in crock pot with:

28oz diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 can chili beans in mild or spicy sauce, undrained
    2tbsp chili powder
    1tbsp grated semi-sweet baking chocolate
    2 cloves garlic

Mix well. cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.

Add:

1.5tsp ground cumin
    0.5tsp salt
    0.5tsp black pepper
    0.5tsp hot pepper sauce

Cook 1 more hour.

* I added a few diced stalks of celery, a red pepper, a couple green peppers, and a can of black beans as well. No spicey chili sauce in hopes that the kids will actually eat it. And it's cooking on high for 3-4 hours instead of low. Smells good so far!

Default Soups and Stews

Watermelon Gazpacho Recipe - Allrecipes.com

This was too good not to post the recipe for. With summer coming up it makes the perfect hot weather meal. Add a salad with some nuts, eggs, beans or chopped up meat and a loaf of bread and you have a well rounded meal.

It is so delicious.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Default Soups and Stews

I adapted from here: Creamy Potato Leek Soup II Recipe - Allrecipes.com

8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
    4 cups chicken broth
    2TBSP olive oil
    2Tbsp cheese, chives and bacon Epicure (the original recipe had a lb of bacon but I don't like bacon)
    garlic
    3 leeks, sliced
    1 cup milk (original recipe had cream, but if you puree it, you don't even need the milk)

Directions

In a large saucepan or stockpot, bring potatoes and chicken broth to a boil. Cook until potatoes are tender.

Put EVOO in frying pan with garlic (I like a lot), leeks, and Epicure. Saute for about 10 minutes.

(Bacon way - Meanwhile, place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons of grease and set aside. Sautee the leeks in the frying pan with the reserved bacon grease 8 to 10 minutes.)

When the potatoes are tender, stir in the fried leeks, milk (heavy cream and bacon). Stir to blend and remove from heat. I used a handheld blender to make it smooth since leeks would freak my kids out. Then I added 2 cups of water bc it got super thick when the potatoes were pureed. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot. Top with a little grated cheese.

If you make it the original way, it's over 550cals/serving. My way was 237cals for a really big bowl, less if you take out the milk.