Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Do you open boxes and feed your LO's in the grocery store?

Opening boxes of granola bars, or crackers, letting them drink a yogurt drink and the like, have become the norm during my shopping trips. I did this today and got quite the look from a middle aged man. I did wonder if he was a "secret shopper". You know the ones that check up on customers. Of course I ALWAYS pay when we check out, and the cashier never seems surprised that there is an opened item. Today my DS said no to the treat. He is VERY perceptive, and noticed the on-looker. I said right out loud, "Oh honey, you are allowed to feed kids who are hungry and bored. We pay when we leave. That's a rule when the mommy needs to finish her shopping!" I said it loud enough for the man to hear.

This got me wondering if other parents do this. Also, is it actually allowed, or am I doing something I shouldn't? Does anyone know? 100% I always make sure I have enough cash to pay for the opened items, even if the debit or credit card things were down.
    Last edited by lilabelle; 03-13-2008 at 06:02 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

i have done it a couple of tims but notall the time! I dont see a problem with it if you are going to buy it anyway!
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

Expert Forum User

I do it if I forgot to bring a snack or something to entertain her with. I don't see a problem with it if you're paying for the item you open.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I am a little paranoid about doing something I am not supposed to. Instead we usually bring a snack with us.. and hit the meat counter for a free slice of balogna. I never open things before I pay. I am chicken... and have vision of the store manager whisking me away to a back room where he calls the cops saying I was stealing or something because the item was not paid for yet - lol.

Not passing judgement on any one else in either direction.. I just can't do it
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

I prefer not to but I've been desperate before and headed straight for a bag of cheetos which kept them silent for the next 20 minutes. Ditto for Juice. I always feel awkward but the cashiers are always SO gracious and say it happens all the time.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Expert Forum User

I would never open anything before paying for it. I think it's just a courtesy to the store to wait. I always have something in my purse I can offer my three y/o (even if it's a gummy bear that's been in there for a month! ) and if he is begging to open something I am buying, I tell him we can't open it until we pay. The staff may be 'used' to it, but I still don't feel it's okay to do it.
    I usually try distraction tactics if he is getting antsy, like asking him to keep an eye out for the peanut butter or whatever. And his favorite thing lately is touching the spilled coffee beans where the grinders are, so I tell him if he is good we will stop there for a minute.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

I have done it and will do it again. I have always paid for what I have opened even when DS didn't like it and I knew it wouldn't get eaten at our house.
    Kim

Expert Forum User

I usually bring something for the kids to snack on, but if I forgotten sure I will open something I'm going to buy a let them some. Usually things that are individually wrapped (fruit snacks or teddy cookies), but I have given out a juice box if need be.

Honestly I have never thought of doing this. I have occasionally seen others and can understand why but I have just personally never think of it. I tell the older ones to wait till it is paid and Jackson we just try to distract him.
    Zachary ^i^ Aug 9/01
    Caleb & Benjamin July 13/02
    Jackson February 13/07

Expert Forum User

I usually bring a snack with me to keep the boys occupied but if I forget, I will open something in the store if I get desperate.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

I've never thought of doing this either. Not that my ds is perfect but I just tell him he has to wait until I pay for it and he helps put things in the cart for Mommy. My lo is too little to notice anything yet, who knows in a year I may be doing it to distract her.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

When my dd was very little I used to let her nibble on the small fresh fruit trays that are usually displayed at the front of the store. I don't hide the fact that I am doing it. I keep the tray right out in the open and obviously pay for it when I reach the register. Is this wrong? I'm certain if someone wanted to charge me with theft, they could. I could be wrong in my assumption (as I am not an expert in the law) but it is not considered theft until I walk out of the store without paying ........ so long as it wasn't an item that had to be weighed???????
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. ~MLK Jr.

Expert Forum User

Yep, I've done it too. Probably will do it again....

I have never done it and probably wouldn't have the guts to do it. That's just me though. I normally take the boys a cup with their milk in it and sometimes a light snack.

We do it when we shop with DS. I just make sure I keep all the wrappers and pay for the item when we check out. The cashiers have never ever seemed to think it was wrong or rude. We always let them know if a box has been opened or if all I have left is the empty wrapper so they don't think we've accidentally gotten a damaged package or something. I don't think I've ever thought twice about it actually! Maybe because my mom always got a box of cookies and had one or two while she shopped, so I grew up seeing it?

Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast