Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Booster

Expert Forum User

Question Booster

My 7yr old (8 in July) is still in her 5pt harness Nautilus. DH has an old car with no blod to tether. He rarely drives with her...well never because of the no bolt. He would like to have the option to pick her up once in awhile and said he put her car seat in. I said I would have to research the safest option for her.

So at what point can she go to a booster and what is the safest for her without the tether in his car? I know he can have the bolt put in but so far that hasn't happened. If that is the only option then we will do it.

I just hate knowing that the car seat is in there and in a pinch or on a whim she will be in there...I need it to be "me" approved first

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I think she would be fine in a booster seat, she is over 40 pounds right? That's what DS is in and he is the same age.

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Expert Forum User

SOHO and Somewhere between here and there.

I think you can take the car in have a mechanic install the blod piece, that way you don't have to worry about switching to a booster yet................but in regards to the weight/height limits for a booster, I don't want to misquote......................but if you feel uneasy about switching to the booster regardless of guidelines, then see if you can the blod installed.

DS still uses the 5pnt harness as well.

Expert Forum User

How old is DH's car? If it is less than 10 years old, he can have a tether hook installed for free (though he may need to pay for the part) at a dealership. Otherwise, you can buy a universal hook at CT for $7 and get someone with a torque wrench to install it according to spec.

How much does she weigh? As PP said, if she is over 40lbs, and can safely sit on a booster, why not get her a high-back booster?

04/05/12 & 28/09/12 - Mama loves you, Babies.

Expert Forum User

DS has been just using the backless booster for about 2 years. At age 8 they no longer have to use anything.

I would check her height - if she can sit on the seat and the seatbelt fits across the chest then when she turns 8 she doesn't even need a booster. If the belt goes across her neck then she should have a booster to help her sit up higher so the seatbelt fits properly.

DS still has his little booster in the van since he isn't tall enough. But has gone with nothing a couple times, in other people's cars, since his bday.

Expert Forum User

Does the seat that she is going to sit in have head support? I'm assuming by old it isn't crazy old like my moms 85 nova and has lap/shoulder belts in at least the outer positions? Is she over 40lbs? Is she of normal development?

I'd be pretty comfortable with an nearly 8 year old in a booster. If it's a older car, and since she's used to a 5pt harness (good job BTW) -- I'd probably go for a high back. Make sure to test it out in the store (and in the car). Check to make sure that she'll have some growing room as well.

All low back boosters (and some high backs) require head support. If there are no head rests or they are lower then the top of her ears when seated in the booster she would need a high back. Keeping her in a high back to start will at least keep her feeling somewhat confined until she's familiar with booster riding.

Expert Forum User

The nautilus is a high back booster. She is 51lbs.
    His car is a 95 Honda civic.
    So if I put the high back booster in his car, I can take the harness off and use it like normal just with the car seat belt. The seat belt is the only thing holding it ( when she is in it) in place?

Expert Forum User

So if I put the high back booster in his car, I can take the harness off and use it like normal just with the car seat belt. The seat belt is the only thing holding it ( when she is in it) in place?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyGirls22 View Post
    Yes, that would be fine. I thought you were thinking of buying another booster and keeping the Nautilus in your vehicle.

Expert Forum User

We have 2

Expert Forum User

We have 2
    Makes even more sense then. It'd be a huge PITA to be threading and rethreading the harness all the time.

Expert Forum User

As long as the seat belt is a lap/shoulder belt, yes. Lap belt only can NOT be used with a booster.

04/05/12 & 28/09/12 - Mama loves you, Babies.

Expert Forum User

So when I am ready to take the straps off her main nautilus I untether as well?
    Seat belt is the only thing holding her/seat.

Expert Forum User

Well she is 8 and has asked that we reassess the car seat situation. Right now she is still in the high back booster graco nautilus. I will get her height and weight tomorrow.

So legally she needs nothing now...wow that scares me

I am thinking taking the high back off and just using the booster would be a good compromise right?!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I think I would get rid of it all together. Wouldn't there be a point that she is safer without it than with it? What weight does the car seat go up to?
    I watch an 8 year old and he is 79lbs (not in a booster)but than there's my DS who will be 8 in a couple months and he's only 54lbs...

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast