Expert Forum User

Default How do you organize your projects?

So my wave of creativity is in full force now, and I am working on about 6 different projects at the moment, and I am finding myself overwhelmed.
    All of these projects are great ideas that I can't wait to showcase, but I find that it is taking over my spare space and I am not sure how to organize or prioritize which project first.
    For all those craft mammas out there who are short on space, how do you make do?

London Ontario - Near Egerton and Ham. Road

well I guess it all depends really on what kind of projects you are talking about. I, for instance, crochet (and that's about all I can do) and Christmas time is very busy for me. At one point this past holiday I had about 6 projects on the go.
    What I like to do is I have my little mini basket which holds what I'm working on at that moment. And then I have one of those re-usable grocery bags for all the others. And then there is a giant Tote which holds all the rest (ie supplies, yarns not being used, books).
    Now as far as time, my kids are usually pretty good when it comes to “mommy's crafting time“ and they just sit and occupy each other while i'm working on something. Sometimes DS like to help so when the yarn gets tight he pulls it out lol.
    I also find I get bored of the same thing after a while, so I will put away what I am working on and pick up the next one. and so on. I was giving about half an hour to each item at a time.
    All you have to do is remember to pace yourself. If you get too jumbled then losing interest is very easy. Once you find yourself getting to that frustrating and overwhelming stage then it is time to either stop or move to the next one.
    And sometimes you just have to stop all together and take a break (like maybe a week or so) I'm feeling that right now bc i think I had too much going on over christmas and right now I can't finish a project or really show any interest in one. So until I get out of the funk I am just not thinking about it.

I know it's kind of long winded but I hope that helps.

Expert Forum User

That really helped actually. I usually just work on one project until I finish it, then move on to the next one, but I find that I do get bored or distracted and then just loose the spunk. Then a few days will go by and the thought is just tugging at me to get it done again.
    I am starting up a little side business (WAHM) and I have a few shows booked, so I know how long I have until I need to have the projects done, it just seems very overwhelming at times.

Expert Forum User

I tend to be working on several projects at the same time and often they have nothing to do with each other. At this moment I have a stripped coffee table I want to finish refinishing, 3 half made crazy scrap quilts, pieces cut for a new stained glass piece (but the grinder is broken and I don't have a new one yet), several dozen scrapbooking pages half done or waiting for pictures, and that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

I try to only do one project at a time and it's one of my New Years Resolutions to not start anymore new projects until the outstanding one's are complete. That said, it doesn't usually happen that way and one of the ways to complete these projects are to do small sections at once - only do what you can finish in THIS sitting. Also if there are any smallish pieces, I often will be sewing or knitting in front of the TV or in waiting rooms. Also if say three of your projects have painted components to them I would do those all at the same time to reduce the set-up and clean-up process.

London Ontario - Near Egerton and Ham. Road

glad that helped.. and I totally know what you mean. My mom and I have recently decided to try and open something up for our crafts at the WFD market (she sews and knits) but we have nothing done to start off with. So hopefully I can get back into it and design some things for us to sell.
    plus i still have to finish the blanket for DS's bed that I've been working on for almost a year. the neighbours like to poke fun at me (jokingly) bc in the summer while the kids are out on the front lawn playing I'll be keeping watch in the lawn chair crocheting away. lol. they call it the granny craft.. haha

in the kitchen, the garden, and the laundry room

Not that i ahve anything to add to help keep things organized, Its a constant struggle here too...

I wanted to add that I also get called granny for my knitting and crochet. but hey... I like to be busy and social all at once, its portable and, I can keep an eye on the kids easily.

I switch projects a lot too.. alsways seems i start somthing then get tugged away to the next thing... and then something completely unrelated before getting back to any of it.

January is burnout month. a whole lot of NOTHING gets done.
    Blah.