Default soy milk formula

Does anyone here use soy with sucess? The can says that after feeding to discard the remainder of the bottle. Is this because the warming and cooling spoils it quickly? There is also lots of controversy about the amount of nutrience in the soy milk any one have any opinions on it?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

Well, you'd want to go with cow's milk formula first unless there's a reason not to. ETA: What makes you interested in the soy formula? Just curious!
    Last edited by mamabear; 03-11-2008 at 09:02 PM.

He's had a constant patch of eczema on his arm. I have heard more than once that if you eliminate dairy this should help the issue. I figure its worth a try.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

Poor little guy! Have you talked to his doctor about it?

He usually wakes up every 3 hours to feed on milk based formula. Last night was his first night he had soy milk and it was the first night where he slept 6 hours!! His eczema seemed to scab over in the two days he was on soy milk. He however has diahrrea again from the new milk. So back to milk based as I haven't found a solution yet and the diahrrea is severe. His cheeks have started to bubble already with just a few hours that have gone by.
    I went to the peidiatrician today and explained what was happening. She (the resident doctor) informed me that the eczema isn't that bad and I would have to pick the better of two evils. She said she didn't think he had a milk allergy or anything as again she felt the eczema wasn't too bad. She explained further that there are hypo allergenic milks but it would cost hundereds to feed him for the month. She then continued to say that he should be cutting down on the amount of milk he takes he's almost one and by that age we like to see them eatting more solids. She explained something about tooth decay....by this time I had stopped listening to her hocus pocus. I'm a believer that babies take what they need and know whats best for their bodies needs. So I am on the search for non hypoallergenic formula as raw milk doesn't seem to be a possibility. Too bad we have male goats here on the farm and not female ones, I could have free raw milk all day long (as long as she had a little one to feed)

Alimentum worked wonders for my daughter. As a holistic nutritionist i have to say there is a STRONG link between eczema and milk protein sensitivity. Conventional medicine doesn't see it because they aren't trained to see anything other than an IgE in a blood test to prove allergy. There are many other hypersensitivies that cannot be seen through standard allergy tests. Elminate dairy from his diet and you will see a huge change. Soy is not a good option..to much estrogen in soy.

Yes I have read the studies on the soy and looked into other options. His doc it is a joke, our naturopathic doctor we're in the middle of switching from as I don't think he takes good case taking. Our new naturopathic doctor was in a car accident. soooo I'm thankful for your advice. I really do see a huge difference in how settled he is when not on milk based products. He is also a child that has constant sneezing he even sneezes when he's fast asleep!! he makes this noise through his sinus cavity that sounds like a growl or a snore, both my doctors tell me he's fine. peidiatrician says he doens't have sinus cavities yet and my naturopathic doc says he'll grow out of it. Both are not helpful answers I don't know what happened to doctors. Use to be you had a problem you went to them, they fixed it. Now you go to them and they try and convince you that your ok or it's not bad enough...
    Is the infant formula expensive? The doc today told me that it would cost 300 dollars to feed him for the month.

Zabsmom, sorry to hear your baby has eczema. I often felt a sense of utter hopelessness when my youngest did. Do you nurse/pump for any feeds? I just wonder if there are solutions the doctors haven't considered yet.

Hugs to you and your baby, mama.
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

Expert Forum User

i used soy formula when i was finished BF because my son was lactose intolerent. I had him tested for milk allergy as well... he did fine on the soy and is a big healthy boy now. as far as i know they soy formula still has to meet the requirments like the other formulas so i say to do what you think is working best for your son! i also plan on doing soy again with our newborn when done BF

IMO, the biggest concerns lies in that soy has no mammalian basis/is very far removed from human milk, and therefore is much more deficient than mammal-milk based formulas for human babies. Soy formula is definately helpful in some cases, but generally it's recommended mammal-based formulas be ruled out before soy-based formula is used. Also, if one is concerned about GMOs, non-organic soy formulas - which are most commonly available - are almost guaranteed to be made from GMO soy.
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley