Default how to get toddler and infant to sleep nightly near same time...

so i have a toddler and a little one- 2 months. when i try to sleep my toddler, my newborn starts crying in the next room, so i have to run to my baby. then my toddler gets distracted enough not to want to sleep, and runs to find me in the other room...so i have been having toddler DD sleep in our bed as bassinett of baby is in our room too. so when baby cries i jump to put soother in babys mouth, or feed baby and then get back to putting my toddler back to sleep. it has been working and it has been pretty manageable so far. i plan on having them both sleep in separate rooms eventually, but the baby has a cold so his nose is all stuffed up and such, i have to keep an eye on him.

just wondering how you moms put two babies to sleep at the same time??? do you get any help??

If I were you, I would let the baby cry for a few minutes while you get the toddler down. As long as the baby isn't screaming or there is obviously something wrong, it's not going to hurt (and it might teach them how to self-soothe a little)

Expert Forum User

Do you have a swing? That was my savior when doing bedtime alone. I often have to get all 3 to bed by myself, so I understand.

Also, take the chance when you see it (ie. when baby is happy). You may have to put your toddler down a bit early or a bit late, but it's easier to do that then deal with an unhappy baby disturbing everyone.
    Last edited by Marvin; 01-19-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Expert Forum User

I used to get the baby comfortable - fed, soother, in bouncy seat or swing - and then put the toddler to bed. It didn't always work perfectly but for the most part it saved my sanity and I could at least get the older one to bed in good time and then concentrate on the baby.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Expert Forum User

My infant was always awake and screaming until well after midnight, and I was on my own in the evenings. I would get her comfy and put her in a bouncy seat or something similar and bring her into her brother's room while I got him settled. Tuck him in, and bring her with me and then work on getting her settled. She would scream the remainder of the evening but he was settled in upstairs and never woke.

Aww thanks so much for your response. I will have to try some of your ideas out. If i can get the toddler to sleep first that would be the hardest part done, then it would be easier to focus on the baby. I just want the baby to self sooth to sleep which might require some crying, or maybe offer a soother would help but when it pops out of the mouth i dont want to always run in there. Bah i guess i cant always win, whatever will get me through.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMomIn2009 View Post
    Aww thanks so much for your response. I will have to try some of your ideas out. If i can get the toddler to sleep first that would be the hardest part done, then it would be easier to focus on the baby. I just want the baby to self sooth to sleep which might require some crying, or maybe offer a soother would help but when it pops out of the mouth i dont want to always run in there. Bah i guess i cant always win, whatever will get me through.
    IMO 2 months is still very young to be self-soothing to sleep. All of my guys were between 4-6 months when we started their nighttime routines and they could be put to bed awake. Before that they were rocked/cuddled to sleep and then put to bed.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca