Morna

Default Ukrainian Easter Eggs

Well, I finally got around to trying my hand at Ukrainian Easter Eggs. It's something I've always wanted to do but was afraid to attempt.

Here's a photo of my first three eggs. The biggest obstacle was figuring out the amount of heat required to warm the tool enough to make the wax flow but not to over heat the tool where the wax was globbing.

By my third egg, I was getting better and I feel with a little more practice, I'll get the hang of it.

Just wanted to share.

I don't know but if you find me can you send me home???

Those are beautiful!!!! I love them, you did a great job.

Those look amazing.

Expert Forum User

Wow, very impressive!!

Stunning! I love them!

I was once obsessed with learning the art of making Psyanka's. I read a number of books, and even prepared seveal dozen chicken eggshells for it. I finally got down to making a tradtional stylus (from a birch stick) but it didn't work out that well. We moved shortly after, and priorities got shifted, and I ended up taking up other crafts that seemed more practical at the time (making cloth diapers for instance). I still love this beautiful art, and I hope someday to take it up again.

Morna, where did you get your supplies from?
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

Morna

Everyone, thanks for the comments. When I was working on the eggs, I got really absorbed in what I was doing - almost an addiction. I'm going to do a few more this weekend.

Siana, I actually called my aunt out west and she sent me a bunch of books to get started. I also ordered a number of items from a supplier in, of all places, Quebec and Micheals had a pysanky display in their Easter section. I decided to use the derylin kistkas versus the wooden but I think I might order an electric one in the future.

Okay...I'm obsessed with this now.

Expert Forum User

You have done a beautiful job!! I always have the intentions to make these each year, but everytime i go to Michael's to get the kitska they're sold out....NOT THIS YEAR! I'm gonna go tomorrow!! LOL! You have inspired me!

Expert Forum User

I saw this done on Martha Stewart once. It is a fascinating process. Yours look incredible for a first try!! They look so perfect.
    http://lifewithbecks.blogspot.com/

pm me for details about Little Diva Spa Parties

Expert Forum User

Those are amazing.

Expert Forum User

Very pretty. How long did it take you to make each one?

Morna

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyk
    Very pretty. How long did it take you to make each one?
    Once again, thanks for all the comments

It doesn't take too long to draw pencil lines on the egg - it is the dye baths that take up the time. Roughly 10-15 minutes in each colour, drying time is a couple of minutes and then a few more minutes to write the next layer of wax. I start another egg while the first egg is in the initial dye bath, that way I can make more eggs in one sitting!

I also made quite a few dye colours. They keep for a while provided they are covered and not exposed to sunlight.

My favourite part of the process is taking all the wax off. All the colours (and all your hard work) come out and it's really satisfying to see. I'm going to have my hubby build an egg drying rack that can go in the oven. That way I won't be burning up all the candles in my house IYKWIM.

Although I'm not an expert at this, if anyone would like to try it out before purchasing the tools or kits, just PM me.

Overall, I'm really having a lot of fun with this (if you couldn't tell! ) and I'm getting in touch with my heritage.

My mother confesssed to me that her mother never taught her the art and that she regrets not asking her to teach her. From what I understand, my grandmother was quite the artist. I think that's what also prompted me to figure it out.

Those are amazing. Have you thought about trying different sized eggs like ostriach (sp?) eggs or even tiny quail eggs? A whole bunch in a glass bowl would look great. How long did they take you?
    "If you get a headache do what it says on the aspirin bottle: Take two and keep away from children."

Expert Forum User

Those are great Morna!

Expert Forum User

They look BEAUTIFUL!!! I read this forum and I wish I was more crafty. Or ballsy enough to at least attempt something new.