Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to tell when your water breaks? (may be TMI)

So I for sure just lost my mucus plug (some things you can't unsee) and there is bleeding but how do I know if my waters broken as well?
    I was laying on the couch and when I got up I felt a warm liquid, my liner was wet with clear fluid, wiping resulted in blood and there has been what looks like watery blood in the pad. Is this normal fluids or has my water broke or is leaking? With DD there was no mistaking it so I'm just not sure!

(sorry if TMI)!!!
    Last edited by Gill'sMama; 01-11-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I think you've ruptured! Yay! Head to a hospital or call your midwife!
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Agreed! Yay
    Just opened a new page making adorable girly things! Headbands, clips, tutu's, etc...

https://www.facebook.com/PrettyPeanuts

Expert Forum User

sounds like the real deal...ELV!!!!

Expert Forum User

Sounds very likely.

When DD2 I was laying in bed, rolled over and whoa -- felt like the hover dam had opened up. I leaked constantly until I delivered 10 hours later.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by ChinUp View Post
    I think you've ruptured! Yay! Head to a hospital or call your midwife!

ITA... good luck!

So the pinkish fluid is my water breaking? Dd's had miconium so I'm not sure what normal is!

I haven't had any contractions... I was under the impression to only call my MW when I was ready to go to the hospital unless there is miconium, which there isn't?!?

This is so different from DD, I thought I knew what I was doing lol!!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Gill'sMama View Post
    So the pinkish fluid is my water breaking? Dd's had miconium so I'm not sure what normal is!

I haven't had any contractions... I was under the impression to only call my MW when I was ready to go to the hospital unless there is miconium, which there isn't?!?

This is so different from DD, I thought I knew what I was doing lol!!
    Are you GBS+? If you are you should go to the hospital right away. If not, I would call the midwife and give them a heads up so they know what to expect but our midwife said to us that even if my water broke I didn't have to head to the hospital until contractions were 5 minutes apart, 1 minute long, for at least 1 hour. . .unless you want drugs then you might head there earlier.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by Findabhair; 01-11-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Expert Forum User

My water broke similar to yours - it was a slow leak - at about 4pm the day before DD1 was born. I didn't think it was my water breaking, but I called my Dr in the morning and went in at 10am - she wasn't happy that I waited so long, and sent me to right to the hospital. I was induced by 2pm, had DD1 at 10:30pm. If your water breaks, there is a higher chance of infection, so with an OB, they will induce 12-24 hours after your water breaks. Your midwife may want to do something different, I think you need to call your midwife for advice / instructions.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

No, call your midwife and get them to confirm. my water broke but was a little leak. She came and tested the liquid to confirm it was amniotic fluid as it makes a difference for managing it from there on in if labour doesn't start on its own.

If you're GBS positive then you need to start the antibiotics once you've ruptured.

Ok, called my MW, Shes coming to check if it's my water! I wasnt GBS+ so she said we have a couple options once we figure out if it is in fact my water!

Just wish I had some more contractions to go along with it!!

Expert Forum User

I would call your mw to tell her. But basically when your water breaks and you aren't in labour you wander around the hospital for a couple hours trying to start labour then just lay there bored (this was in windsor and the hospital was closing the next month) but most likely you would be sent home once confirming it is water broke.

The bleeding is likely you dilating. I started bleeding with DS2 like my period the day I went into labour but my water wasn't broke till I was in labour.

I would call mw, but then stay home and relax and you should be in labour in no time If you don't start labour they would want to induce in about 12-24 hours, but with the bleeding I'm thinking you shouldn't need any help

The only concern is that with DS1 we both needed antibiotics after since my water had been broke more than 24 hours when he was finally born (14 hours of being induced!).

Expert Forum User

If you water breaks they generally want you delivering fairly soon. Some say 24, some say 48, some are comfortable with more.

My contractions weren't even noticeable until 3-4 hours after my water broke (eg had to stop walking in the parking garage a couple times on my way into the hospital). They really didn't pick up until closer to delivery. No need to worry yet

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Mine was the 'hind-water', so higher up, that broke and I didn't see the mucus plug or such. it was over 24 hours before regular contractions started. If you can, REST! Relax, get someone to help with your others if things aren't starting.

OMG so exciting!! I've never had my water break with either of my 4 boys so I'm no help there. My sister said he heard an audible pop though...but you've BTDT.

All the best to you!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast