Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Full time kindergarten vs. part time

I am really curious how many parents support the idea of full day kindergarten and how many people do not. I will be starting my mat. leave soon with my 3rd child, but i am currently home during the day with my 2 boys, and my oldest is 4 and going to school every other day right now. However, I believe almost all schools next year, including his school will have full day kindergarten, and I am not sure if I am comfortable with him going every day! I hardly like him going every other day right now. I definately support full day kindergarten for the children, and parents who have to alternate between daycare and school everyother day currently. but is there any other stay at home mom's out there who just feel their child is way to YOUNG to be going to school every day for 30+ hours a week? I just don't know what to do come 'next' year when my child is suppose to go everyday. Is it wrong to keep him home every other day still, like is that aloud if you want to, should I be considering home schooling him for a bit? Any idea's or stories about their own decsions?

Thank you ladies!

My daughter is a january baby and a smart girl. She started full day kindergarten in September and LOVED it! I knew she was ready. But some kids in her school yard looked so young, and heard from fellow friends that their kids were not necessarily ready but went anyway because they were at daycare otherwise. I think it depends on your child and their readiness. I heard that schools don't recommend you keeping the kids home part time.
    We just moved to a different school board and my daughter's new school is only part time. I am finding she is having a hard time with it.
    Not all schools will be fulltime next year, because I would love to change schools and put my girls in fulltime!

It is always an option to keep kids home in kindergarten!

Expert Forum User

I think I'll be picking DS up every day at lunch when he starts next year and from talking with the other parents I dont think I'll be the only one.
    ...and in that moment I swear we were infinite.

Expert Forum User

My ODD goes full days for 4 days a week. I am not a SAHM. My mother takes care of both of my girls on Fridays, and YDD on Wednesdays as well. YDD goes to daycare 3 days a week.

ODD loves school, but she also loves her time with Nana. ODD has a friend in full day year 2 (SK) who goes to school in the afternoons only, and last year she attended in the morning only - this has worked very well for her and her family. Do what works best for your child, the school will accomodate, just be prepared for some apprehension at first, but they will accomodate your needs. I suggest you pick a schedule you are comfortable with and stick with it.

No matter what you decide, I believe children need a reliable schedule for comfort and security. I was hoping that our school was not going to be FD, but it was one of the first ones!
    Last edited by Pomegranate; 01-05-2012 at 11:05 AM.

I would much rather every day than every-other day - but that's my opinion just from going half days to full - every other day. There is a huge difference in the classroom from last year to this year, and a lot of it *seems* to fall around adjusting to a routine, not a longer day. The longer day itself actually makes it easier to do things in a more relaxed way, longer stretches of free play, outdoor time (it's not easy to fit alot into a half day, and have an outdoor break which includes quite a bit of time to get in and out of outdoor clothing). Full day has been much more laid back.

As for skipping days, or picking up at lunch - you can, just don't be surprised if they don't want to (if they feel they may be missing out on something). I have picked my dd up partway through the day simply because I knew she was tired and it was wholeheartedly supported by her teacher - in fact it would be nice if more parents would/could do this (even keep them home for the whole day every once in a while) - at their age, regardless of full day/ half days, every or every other day, a bad nights sleep or growth spurt can make any day miserable.

The other thing that is debateable is whether they need to go to school at all! For some kids it's not a bad idea to skip the jk year - and whlie some teachers say they can tell the kids who didn't go to jk, it does even itself out in the end. If a kid isn't ready, I don't think it benefits anyone (except maybe from a financial perspective for a working parent) to send them.
    Last edited by mom2girls; 01-05-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    Kristina - mom of 4 girls

Expert Forum User

I've experienced both as Syd was half day every day and Paige goes all day, every day. Each has their pros and cons for sure. I think both girls would have done very well with all day Kindergarten. We didn't have Sydney in daycare on alternating days or the other part of the half day, but Paige would have had to have been.

lol if it were up to me I would stay home with the kids all day, every day and they would never leave me. However I know part of my job as a parent is to let them grow and learn, so I begrudingly do

I think most of the problem is that WE aren't ready. Well there's a lot of things that I am not ready for...I'm not ready for Sydney to be hitting puberty soon, I'm not ready for her first boyfriend, her first heartbreak. I'm not ready to let Paige go to friend's houses for playdates, or to sleep over. I'm not ready to feel like someone else is raising my children by them being at school all day. However, it's not about what I'm ready for. Kids are a lot stronger and a lot more resilient then we give them credit for. Quite often they pick up on our cues, our fears, our worries, and that will make them scared and worried.

The real eye opener for me was a special I saw on kids going to university. They had a few people that worked at the university and they were talking about how inept the kids were at thinking for themselves, being on their own, and taking care of themselves. About how the dependency of kids on their parents has grown substantially over the last few decades. I know university is a lot different then going to kindergarten, but it starts somewhere right?

whew ok got totally off topic. Honestly I think the all day kindergarten is a great thing for most kids. They are there, learning and socializing. They are picking up on so many life skills that we can't even comprehend.
    Besides it's so much easier to get them used to it in Kindergarten than grade one when they have to do it anyways.
    Lori, Mom to Sydney, Paige and Easton

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

My oldest went half days every day. My youngest this year is going all day every other. I find it a bigger pain. Plus she wants to be there every day. I also find that sometimes when they have a 4 day stretch ( with weekends and pd days, rotating schedules etc..) It can be really hard on some kids to get back into the routine of school. ( I volunteer in the kindy room and see how hard it is on some kids) Next year my youngest will be in full day every day SK and I'm okay with it. She is ready to be there every day. She is also a January baby and was ready for school a year ago.

The program has pros and cons for sure. Sometimes I don't think we don't give our kids enough credit and they always do better than we expect them too!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

DD will start school with every other day J/K and in S/K the school will switch over to full day Kindergarten. I went to full day every other day Kindergarten as a kid so I don't see a whole lot wrong with it. I'm not crazy about the full day every day Kindergarten honestly. She will start at 3.5 years old so I'm glad she won't be in full day every day kindergarten right away.

We're planning to enroll her in dance classes in September so she gets the idea of a teacher, lots of kids around and being without Mommy. My biggest problem going to Kindergarten as a kid was that I had a hard time leaving my mom so I'm hoping to deal with separation anxiety issues long before she starts. Hoping this will help!
    Last edited by Findabhair; 01-05-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Expert Forum User

I totally support full day kindergarten. My oldest went to a private school all day, every day from the time he was 4 and it was great for us! He knew everyday he woke up and got ready for school, there was never any “Am I home/school today?“ It was just our routine. My middle son is in JK every other day now and it's a pain in the butt because he doesn't know where he is every day and I think he would cope much better if his daily routine was the same. DS1 definitely was tired at the end of the week and some Fridays would get home, fall asleep on the couch and not wake up until the next morning.

DS3 will be in JK the first year at our school to go all day, every day and I'm excited to have the same routine we did with DS1.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by one ordinary girl View Post
    Sometimes I don't think we don't give our kids enough credit and they always do better than we expect them too!
    Just wanted to add that I COMPLETELY agree with this statement!
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Expert Forum User

I am not sure how I feel about it yet as my oldest starts a full day j/k program in the fall. There was no j/k when I was a kid and my kindergarten class was mornings only. I didn't go to full day school until Grade 1. I still graduated from University. My DD does not go to daycare and is in preschool a couple of mornings a week. She loves it and loves school. It will be interesting. I am already dreading the thought of making lunches for my picky eater!

I didn't really have the opportunity to experience the 1/2 day or every other day kindergarten but don't think I'd want to.....

My DD is in SK this year and has always been full day, every day and she does wonderful. She has grown up sooo much and is extremely intelligent. I mean we're only 3 months into the school year and she's reading on her own! It's unreal...she was so ready for school and I'm pleased that it's everyday, all day.
    Catherine
    Mama of 2 wonderful Children,
    July 2006 & January 2008

double post
    Last edited by B&W'sMama; 01-05-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    Catherine
    Mama of 2 wonderful Children,
    July 2006 & January 2008

DS2 was full days at his old school last year (JK) and when we switched schools, he is going every other day now (SK). I hate it. He loves school, and I preferred the consistency of full time.

Thank god the school will be full time kindergarten when DS3 goes to school.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

If our school switches to full day programming, dd will simply not go full time. I will decide with her, either half days or alternate days. I'll let the school know in writing what our plan is. They will accept it happily cos it means they get the funding for her, she's registered still. From my epxerience that's the clincher for them.

I have no intention of sending her to full time school for sk.
    (She didn't do jk, neither did my son.)
    She will be five already by fall.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast