Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    HippieMama

That's fabulous!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

That looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by MMmama View Post
    I bought a whole bunch of wool sweaters to make into soakers and longies. I've attempted this before with a "triangle" type soaker pattern. Didn't turn out so well. I did the largest recommend size and the are so tiny! Never used them more than once with his giant bubble butt diapers. I have serger but I am a total novice. This are things I'd like to try for over our Bamboozles and Mother Ease One Size dipes:

Felted sweater pull-on soaker
    Felted sweater wrap soaker serged edges with resin snaps (eg. Loveybums inspired)
    Wool-in-twos with snaps to attach to the Motherease or homemade somehow.
    Lightly felted sweater longies with the sleeves.

Any tips for felting and/or patterns/sewing? What's your favourite way to do it?

TIA

I posted the longies I made out of the sweaters I got in the cloth diapers 101. I used the sewing machine first to get the sizing I wanted then I went back over with a serger. If you serge from the get go and you make an error the project is wrecked and you have to start again with something bigger. A sewing machine, you can unpick the seam if it's not fitting and let it out some.
    I first felted them thanks to lhastie's directions. I measured the heal to crotch zab is 10inches. So I measured up the arms 11 " just to give some room. I cut the sleeves on the sweater as close to the seam as possible.
    I can show you his if you like we'll be in town on friday evening? We're always up for a play date. The other thing I liked about his longies are that you don't need a onsie I made the waist extra long and pull them up just short of his chest. I also love that the lanlolin stuff has a sort of oil that stops his legs from drying out. I love the pants.
    Last edited by Zabsmom; 04-02-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Expert Forum User

I luv them! I may have to try one myself, except I don't have a serger.

Thanks everyone.

zabsmom I love the longies. I made some when DD was little and I chickened out of sewing them by machine (no serger then) so I did it by hand with yarn I had pulled out of the side seams and used a mattress stitch, lol. I am afraid of "power" tools. I didn't bother zig-zagging the edges since they were the finished edges. Now that I have the serger, I'll likely cut out the "extra" stuff inside. I want to dye them blue though, they are an ugly rust colour. :P

I actually didn't use the cutting knife while I serged. Since I'm so new at it, I decided to cut out the pattern to size first and then just serge around the edges. I went SUPER slow, but I tend to freak out and pull around corners and didn't want to lop off a wing. I could rip out the serging and start over since it's so messy, but we'll see how it fits first.

Spots - the pattern actually called for turn and topstitch. Other patterns use FOE (fold over elastic) on the edges. You could also just do a wide zig-zag over the edges, but obviously it might not be as durabe. I'm ordering some FOE, but I figured since I have the serger and that's how my Loveybums cover looks, why not!
    Last edited by MMmama; 04-03-2008 at 08:18 AM.
    K ~ Wife and Helpmeet to J, SAHM to DD, M ('05) and DS, B ('07) an'd blessing no. 3 due Oct.'09!

I have a snap press! PM if you have something that needs resin snaps replaced or added. Diapers, clothes, etc.

Thanks I love the longies. Sucks that since zabian is crawling it's hard for them to stay nice. They get worn out looking easily. He has 3 pairs now and I love them all. I forgot that he wasn't wearing them today and soaked through a monkey doodlez while we were out.

I really like your wrap I'll have to try one next, I'm backed up making Mei Tei's right now moms can carry kids at the LM sale, but wool wraps and shorties are next on my list.

If you didn't use the cutting knife thats why it got stuck and you had to do it over. Happens when you sew too far from the needle. Corners are tricky, if you go fast it's easier honest.

girlsmum

Talking

Oh my gosh, you ladies are fabulous!! I cannot believe how long it's taking me to finish up this soaker. It seems THE second I sit down to sew up the sides to hot wash, someone needs the *mom*. I just have one side left to sew up then finally a hot wash. I just washed up my dipes today so it'll be a couple of days before I need to wash again so maybe then I can post my pic.

Have you ladies posted links to your soakers?? Zabsmom, I love those longies, is it a sewn longie or knitted. Mine is knitted, I guess I do a pretty good job but it's time consuming. I love my pattern cuz it's got a built in waistline that's ribbed, I don't have to worry about snaps or velcro!! And it takes exactly 1 ball of yarn per soaker. Can't wait to see my girls walk around in their soakers, gotta discipline myself to a second one now!! Everything x 2,LOL!

Really nice work and pics!!!!

Thanks I'm glad you liked them. They are super easy and fast to make. He needed another pair this morning so I cut up a pair and stitched them in less than 30 mins.
    Mine was a recycled sweater find from Talizes, merino wool sweater. The steps are pretty simple. I cut the arms off, put them side by side, measure the heel to the crotch, cut the sweater arms so that they are straight across at the top instead of tapered to a point. I cut them a few inches longer than the leg measurments. I then take out 3 or 4 inches of the arms seam, starting from the top. I place the two seams together to make the rise. Next take hip measurments, I take the original sweater and make the bum area. The ribbed portion of the original sweater will be the waist band. YOu'll sew this part to the top of the sleeves. I like making mine extra long, he doesn't wear a onsie and I don't like his back showing, so he has super high waist bands on his.

For the more visual learners, here is a good link for recycled longies http://www.kidcentrix.com/brandon/sweaterpants.html

Yep thats exactly the one I used. Thanks lhastie. I didn't have time to look for the link last night.

girlsmum

Quote Originally Posted by Zabsmom View Post
    Thanks I'm glad you liked them. They are super easy and fast to make. He needed another pair this morning so I cut up a pair and stitched them in less than 30 mins.
    Mine was a recycled sweater find from Talizes, merino wool sweater. The steps are pretty simple. I cut the arms off, put them side by side, measure the heel to the crotch, cut the sweater arms so that they are straight across at the top instead of tapered to a point. I cut them a few inches longer than the leg measurments. I then take out 3 or 4 inches of the arms seam, starting from the top. I place the two seams together to make the rise. Next take hip measurments, I take the original sweater and make the bum area. The ribbed portion of the original sweater will be the waist band. YOu'll sew this part to the top of the sleeves. I like making mine extra long, he doesn't wear a onsie and I don't like his back showing, so he has super high waist bands on his.

30 mins?............that's incredible, I've been working on knitting my soaker forever. I didn't even know that you could sew wool, only fabrics. I can sew pretty well and I just got a nice sweater from lhastie(hi Lauren), I wonder if I should chance sewing one up or if I should still just rip it apart and reknit a new one!!

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmum View Post
    30 mins?............that's incredible, I've been working on knitting my soaker forever. I didn't even know that you could sew wool, only fabrics. I can sew pretty well and I just got a nice sweater from lhastie(hi Lauren), I wonder if I should chance sewing one up or if I should still just rip it apart and reknit a new one!!
    Unless it's like a worsted weight I would not rip it and re-do. I mean you could, but for all the trouble, you can find wool yarn at a reasonable. I always used merino from Michael's. Use a 40% off coupon and it super cheap! I even saw some nice varigated wool yarn at Wal-Mart the other night. I would just cut and sew the sweater. I think you might be able to get longies and a soaker out of the sweater depending on it's size and what pattern you use. With the triangle soaker you can get two soakers and longies.
    K ~ Wife and Helpmeet to J, SAHM to DD, M ('05) and DS, B ('07) an'd blessing no. 3 due Oct.'09!

I have a snap press! PM if you have something that needs resin snaps replaced or added. Diapers, clothes, etc.

girlsmum

Talking

Hmm............I tried to find Merino's at Michael's and could only find "Lion Brand" for 100% wool. Everything else was cheaper and had acrylic to it.
    And where can I find a coupon for Michael's??................this first soaker was long in coming as I had so little time plus I had to decipher the pattern(I'm super perfectionistic), the second should get done in half the time, I'm hoping. I really like my pattern too cuz I don't have to worry about waistlines being too big/small, it's ribbed so it'll fit my girls's size 0000000 waists,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmum View Post
    I wouldn't try to rip it apart to knit. If it was a thick hand knitted one it might work, but I doubt it would work well with that sweater. If you felted it, you could then get longies and probably a couple of soakers out of it

girlsmum

Whew!...................I finally got my soaker done. I was able to show Lauren my soaker minus about 5 stitches and she thought it would look cute to show a pic before and after I felted it in the wash. Nothing fancy but for my first one, I kinda like it!! I have to option of crocheting a lacy look around the legs too when I have the time.

So this is the before felting look.............

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast