Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tips for Felting and Sewing Wool covers?

I bought a whole bunch of wool sweaters to make into soakers and longies. I've attempted this before with a "triangle" type soaker pattern. Didn't turn out so well. I did the largest recommend size and the are so tiny! Never used them more than once with his giant bubble butt diapers. I have serger but I am a total novice. This are things I'd like to try for over our Bamboozles and Mother Ease One Size dipes:

Felted sweater pull-on soaker
    Felted sweater wrap soaker serged edges with resin snaps (eg. Loveybums inspired)
    Wool-in-twos with snaps to attach to the Motherease or homemade somehow.
    Lightly felted sweater longies with the sleeves.

Any tips for felting and/or patterns/sewing? What's your favourite way to do it?

TIA
    K ~ Wife and Helpmeet to J, SAHM to DD, M ('05) and DS, B ('07) an'd blessing no. 3 due Oct.'09!

I have a snap press! PM if you have something that needs resin snaps replaced or added. Diapers, clothes, etc.

girlsmum

Sorry about my hand Kim, this is as far as I've gotten on my wool soaker, I just have to finish the backside, the slim part is the crotch, the bottom part is the front part of the soaker. So once I've ribbed the bum for the waistline I'll fold it over and sew the sides together with my yarn needle and decide then if I want to add a frill around the legs crocheted on or not.

To felt it, I have to wash in hot/rinse in cold and machine dry at I assume a low temperature, not too hot. Once that's done I can pin it mildly damp to my ironing board to enlarge it if needed, but my girls have dolly bums and the pattern I'm using only uses on set of stitch numbers.

Sounds like fun though, I bought a black sweater from Lauren to rip apart and redo into soakers, then felt.

P.S. Those are bamboo needles I'm using, I love the sturdiness so much better than plastic!!

Expert Forum User

I'm not really alot of help since I've never tried to make any recycled longies/shorties/soakers, but it would appear on MDC a lot of people tend to lightly felt before sewing. Probably shrinks up a bit with a light felt, but not completely, at least you'd have an idea on how the sweater was going to shrink up

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=10722491

Thanks for the input mamas. I may do some each way. I bought some already felted ($1.99 woohoo!) and others that weren't. I bought one really chunky knit (more like a handknit) and one SUPER thin merino - I think I'll felt that one because it won't be super thick maybe? I just want to maintain the stretch. The Loveybums cover I have says it's felted and it is nice and stretchy still so that's kind of what I'm going for.

I have knitted soakers before, but I am too lazy right now. :P
    K ~ Wife and Helpmeet to J, SAHM to DD, M ('05) and DS, B ('07) an'd blessing no. 3 due Oct.'09!

I have a snap press! PM if you have something that needs resin snaps replaced or added. Diapers, clothes, etc.

Here's a pattern to sew a wool soaker. I tried it and it turned out pretty cute. I've yet to test it because my little guy is due in April. I'm a beginner when it comes to sewing.

http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ToriesMom View Post
    Here's a pattern to sew a wool soaker. I tried it and it turned out pretty cute. I've yet to test it because my little guy is due in April. I'm a beginner when it comes to sewing.

http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/
    Thanks for the pattern. I'm a total sewing beginner too. I think I can adapt that to be a wrap with snaps if I try.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

The only one I've tried is like the one you describe out of a big triangle

Definitely felt first, if you're intending to so you know some dimensions. The one I made was out of a really thin merino sweater as well and even after felting it isn't super thick - not like those crazy thick sweaters you can get some places!

I have a link for making longies from sweaters using the arms... I can find it if it is of any interest. I guess you could make shorties for summer too

I made the triangle ones for newborn soakers but never really used them. I prefer wrap covers, especially for newborns. The coolest thing I've seen lately are the sleep sacks though. Knit in the round with a drawstring waist and an open bottom. Will def. be knitting some of those next time I'm preggo. I have a link somewhere...it's called a Sheepy Sac I think.

girlsmum

I'm finally sewing up the wool soaker that is shown above, I've been so busy with my girls that even a few minutes a day is sometimes hard to find, but I just have to finish the side sewing and hot wash it to felt it, then I'll post a pic.............I'm pretty proud of my first work. I have the option of crocheting a lacey surround to the legs in another colour and it can also be used as a summer short/soaker.

Just watch the felting if you knit it to size. I just did a lovely merino XL men's sweater, which now looks like an XS ladies sweater after the hot wash. Oops. It was so nice and thin too. Oh well, it will be REALLY waterproof! I'll just be getting less soakers out of it now.

Making some progress. Felted a bunch of sweaters, printed 2 patterns, cut one sweater up, bought some elastic. Just need to sew! And it's nearly 11 so I had better get off the computer and do it!

Ok, after much threading issues I have elastic on the wool I had cut out. It's midnight so I'm going to bed and I will try to finish tomorrow!

So I'm not totally happy with it, and it still needs snaps but my part is done. I thought the serging was going so well until I flipped the sucker over and noticed my tension changed while sewing. Doh. And for some reason I had the wool get caught a few times so I had to go over some areas twice. Since I used red, white and blue it is pretty obvious where that happened. I also had one issue with the elastic. In one spot my stitching is really condensed because a pins got caught on my shirt. Grr.

The pattern is actually a free one (Rita's Rumps Cover) that I found linked to the blog mentioned by PP. I adjusted it to make it wider since I have Mother-ease One Size diapers. I am thinking of making it a wool-in-one by adding snaps inside. In retrospect I should have added the snaps first. I am REALLY hoping that they go through both layers of wool. I used the thinnest felted wool I had.

All in all I'm okay with it. My first time working with anything stretchy, sewing on elastic, and using my serger for something other than panty liners or cloth wipes. It's not much but it I did everything myself without wussing out.
    Last edited by MMmama; 04-02-2008 at 09:29 PM.

Here it is...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

thats absolutely adorable

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast