Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default EI and child support

My ex text me that he will be going onto ei in a month. How much is that going to mess up child support? Is it going to drop to 55% or whatever ei is? Right now it goes through FRO and it was just starting to come regular!
    Boo this sucks!

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

When my sister's ex went on E.I, she didn't end up getting any child support at all.
    Last edited by Alysan; 12-26-2011 at 04:42 PM.

Thanks. So not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the info

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Expert Forum User

I think you do get support still, but will be lower to match his new “income“.
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

Expert Forum User

Went through this last summer.

If its through FRO the amount owing does not change unless the court changes it. He can request this of course.

If his wages are garnished at the employer, E.I does not know this. So you need to contact FRO after the first missed payment so they can set up the garnishment.

They will continue to add up what is owed as debt if garnish or payments are not made.
    Last edited by Mommymanda; 12-26-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Mommymanda View Post
    Went through this last summer.

If its through FRO the amount owing does not change unless the court changes it. He can request this of course.

If his wages are garnished at the employer, E.I does not know this. So you need to contact FRO after the first missed payment so they can set up the garnishment.

They will continue to add up what is owed as debt if garnish or payments are not made.
    So FRO will still take the same amount out of his ei cheques unless he takes me to court?

Expert Forum User

My friend was on EI last year (for maternity) she still had to pay the same amount because child support goes by amount made the year before, so she couldn't change her amount till this year. It was automatically garnished from EI, her work sent the info in when they sent in her record of employment, so EI took the proper amount off per check, then sent it to FRO. She did not have to let EI know anything, her work did it all.

Even on EI, he is still required to pay his support at the same amount he was ordered by the court. If he can't pay it, he can try to have them change it due to financial hardship but my lawyer said that judges barley make that happen. My DH is also on EI right now and still makes his support payment to his ex twice a month at the same amount he was ordered to pay. FRO does not garnish it though from EI, he pays it on his own to FRO.
    "A parent's love is whole no matter how many times divided." Robert Brault

Proud mommy of three wonderful boys

Quote Originally Posted by Sdiana78 View Post
    Even on EI, he is still required to pay his support at the same amount he was ordered by the court. If he can't pay it, he can try to have them change it due to financial hardship but my lawyer said that judges barley make that happen. My DH is also on EI right now and still makes his support payment to his ex twice a month at the same amount he was ordered to pay. FRO does not garnish it though from EI, he pays it on his own to FRO.
    Well I know for a fact there is no way he is going to do that. He still owes Jan and feb 2011 and he hasn't paid them that and they can't do a whole lot cause they have got every month since that without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2my2 View Post
    Well I know for a fact there is no way he is going to do that. He still owes Jan and feb 2011 and he hasn't paid them that and they can't do a whole lot cause they have got every month since that without issue.
    I'm not sure how it works but hopefully FRO will continue to garnish his EI if they were garnishing his work wages. I know in my DH's case, FRO sent him a letter one time saying that he was exempt from having his wages garnished and that he could pay on his own accord going forward...not really sure why that happened but he is a stand up guy and pays on time, every time. So sorry you have to deal with an ex that has his priorities mixed up to say the least...it must be extremely frustrating.
    "A parent's love is whole no matter how many times divided." Robert Brault

Proud mommy of three wonderful boys

Expert Forum User

He still has to pay...been through this, AND they take the SAME amount. but it will take a few months to get caught up...cause EI takes 6-8 weeks or something like that. BUT they will take what he has to pay. they will send it to FRO and you will get it. So if the money doesnt come for 2 months relax it will come. even in a large sum to get caught up.
    Last edited by simpsongirl; 12-27-2011 at 01:33 PM.
    NO NOISE IS BETTER THEN HEARING A CHILD'S LAUGHTER

Def make sure you notify FRO that he`s going on EI. They will have to make the appropriate changes on their end. If they don`t get notified.. and there`s no cheque to garnish.. then they won`t be cutting you a cheque.
    As far as I know (and don`t quote me)- child support is paid by percentage of income. So if his EI is less... than so would your Child Support payment. I would call FRO asap and find out for sure!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Expert Forum User

I have a friend who is a seasonal construction worker (off in the winters). He pays FRO direct (not garnished). When he is layed off, he calls FRO and lets them know. His support order still runs, and he makes payments as 'best he can' (he doesn't pay the full amount). He does go into arrears durring this time. When he is back working in the summer (lots of over time) he pays more to catch up. This has been going on for a number of years.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mama-B View Post
    Def make sure you notify FRO that he`s going on EI. They will have to make the appropriate changes on their end. If they don`t get notified.. and there`s no cheque to garnish.. then they won`t be cutting you a cheque.
    As far as I know (and don`t quote me)- child support is paid by percentage of income. So if his EI is less... than so would your Child Support payment. I would call FRO asap and find out for sure!
    they dont care if his EI cheque is less....she STILL gets same amount.
    NO NOISE IS BETTER THEN HEARING A CHILD'S LAUGHTER

So do I call and give FRO a heads up? Or wait and see if a payment gets missed? I don't get it the same day, it's usually within 10 days of the past month. I do like how FRO is set up now, you talk to the same person not random different people every time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast