Default Digital scrapbooking software vs. digital photo books

Hi everyone,

I have never scrapbooked before but I love photography and want something more creative to do with my pictures (also I'm running out of space on my shelves and walls for framed photos). I am thinking of going the digital route because I don't have a ton of time or money to spend on these projects but my initial online research has been a little confusing. What is the difference between the digital photo books offered by Blacks or Shutterfly compared to the digital scrapbooking software offered by places like My Digitial Studio or My Memories Suite? It seems that the photo books are a lot cheaper because you just pay for the end product...am I missing something important? Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!

Expert Forum User

I wasn't sure what My Digitial Studio and My Memories Suite did so I visited their website and it looks like they are just programs to edit your photos and page layouts. You don't have to use programs like that to edit them but you will need some sort of program if you want to do pages that look like scrapbook pages. I really like Paint Shop Pro and I've been using it forever. You can download a trial for free and use it for 30 days or what I'd suggest is buying an older version. I have 9 and I think they're on to like 11 or 12 by now but whatever version you have will work fine.

Shutterfly, Picaboo etc make the photobooks. They basically have templates and you drop your photos in and instant album.

The photo manipulation software(s) are for when you want to jazz it up and make it look like a scrapbook with background papers, buttons, scanned ticket stubs and whatever you can think of.

Once you create your page you can then just drop it into a book like Shutterfly or Picaboo and have it printed just as you designed it in an album rather than using their premade templates.

You can buy digital images such as background papers, buttons, bottle caps and ribbons in dozens of places online. There is also a lot you can download for free or you can just scan your own stuff in and use it.

One website I really like is Photobook girl. She explains most of the basics and gives you a heads up whenever Mixbook or Picaboo has a good groupon or discount.

Expert Forum User

The other difference is that you can just create 12x12 pages and have them printed at Walmart, Costco, etc, and then slide them into regular top loading scrapbook sleeves, instead of having them all bound into a book.

Thanks for the advice. What program works best if I want to print the pages at Wal-Mart and slide them into scrapbook sleeves? This sounds like a good option.