Expert Forum User

Default Anyone have a Cricut?

I'm considering one, but I'm not sure which model and if they're worth the money. I'd love to hear your experience with them!
    TIA
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Expert Forum User

I have the Original Cricut...not as big as the Expression, but bigger than the Create.

This one is perfect for me, I only use it for scrapbooking and I love it for cutting titles and embellishments.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I used to have the original one. I loved it, however I wanted an upgrade so I sold it and got an expression. I love love love my expression. There are some extra neat features my original did ot have and I like that it fits full size paper. Definately worth the money!!!
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Expert Forum User

I bought a used on recently on kijiji, it must be the create, because it doesn't have as many features as Mommymanda's. It works great for me, I'm not really into scrapbooking though, I just do crafts and projects with the kids on it. Which is also why I bought a used one, I knew I wouldn't use it enough to justify full price for a new one.

I think it's really cool what these machines can do. I guess it just depends on what you are going to use it for if its worth the money or not.

I had the baby cricut (original) and then last year upgraded to the Expression. I love mine! I don't have a ton of cartridges but I also find I only want certain ones.

The expression has more features and I like that you can cut things in larger sizes. If you can find a good deal on the expression I say get that one over the create or the original.

Expert Forum User

I am apparently going to have to investigate this now, I have never herd of it before but it looks like fun.

I have one and have only used it a couple times, I would use it more but I am cheap and refuse to buy the cartridges!!

It's neat tho, if you know of a place to get the cartridges cheap lemme know!!!

Expert Forum User

So are there different models of the Expression? I was in Walmart today, they want $250 for it. But Costco has one with the laminator for $225. What am I missing? That's a big price difference...

Expert Forum User

The original Cricut and the Cricut Create are the same size. Both take 6 x 12 paper...however, with the Create you can cut up to 11 3/4“ images (height wise as long as it's not more than 5 1/2“ in width) because it has extra features that the original cricut does not have. One of them is that it allows you to cut in a portrait setting instead of the default landscape setting.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinsmom View Post
    So are there different models of the Expression? I was in Walmart today, they want $250 for it. But Costco has one with the laminator for $225. What am I missing? That's a big price difference...
    I don't know what you saw at Costco, but the Expression does not have a version with a laminator... unless that was a separate piece of equipment being sold with it?

The original Expression can use 12 x 12 or 12 x 24 inch paper and can cut to a maximum image size (height wise) of 23 3/4“ (again depending on proportional width of the character.) They have come down substanially in price over the years, and I would recommend the Expression if you want bigger images - think if you are a scrapbooker as opposed to a cardmaker where a Create would likely be big enough.

There is a new version of the Expression that no longer uses the overlays from the cartridges. It has an LCD touchscreen instead. It has it's advantages over the older version, but not enough for me to trade up.

And then, Provocraft also came out with another machine that uses cricut cartridges and ink so that you can colour your images and make patterned paper as well. It is called the Imagine. They are expensive!

I have a pretty extensive working background with the machines, and teach both basic “Cricut 101“ classes and more advanced classes along with holding workshops. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Expert Forum User

Wow, you are knowledgable Tansie! Is your class in Sty? So I bought the one from Costco last night. It's the Expression that goes to 24“ and has the My Story Laminator/Book Binder (which I'll never use) as a separate machine. I'm neither a scrapbooker or card maker, which makes this whole thing funny to my girlfriends. I've been spending too much time on Pinterest lately, and have so many great ideas!

Expert Forum User

I have the original and the expression, have used the expression 2 and the imagine. If I needed to purchase a new one I would purchase the expression 2 -- though the imagine is super nice with the feature of printing your own coloured paper (great for having the exact right colour for paper piecing) I am not sure I would get enough use of the machine to warrant the price.

The machine with the laminator is a totally different machine. That one is the “Your Story“ it is for creating books. They also have a mini version of the your story that allows you to make mini books! A lot of fun, but you cannot cut anything with it.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinsmom View Post
    Wow, you are knowledgable Tansie! Is your class in Sty? So I bought the one from Costco last night. It's the Expression that goes to 24“ and has the My Story Laminator/Book Binder (which I'll never use) as a separate machine. I'm neither a scrapbooker or card maker, which makes this whole thing funny to my girlfriends. I've been spending too much time on Pinterest lately, and have so many great ideas!
    What a great buy! The Your Story was pretty expensive when it first came out. I think it may be hard to order the supplies for it though. I'm not certain. Walmart may have them or else it's likely Michaels or the states.

I work at a store in Kilworth and do classes there, but I've also had a few LMs ask in the past about doing one at someone's home in London. We just never got around to organizing anything with everyone's busy schedules. Or, I can give private lessons, too. Seriously though, PM if you have ANY questions. Cricut personal cutting machines by Provo Craft let you express your creativity how and where you want. is a great resource, too!
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Don't have one but so want one.
    I need to do some words for my kitchen.

Expert Forum User

eyebeablessing2U, you will just have to come over for coffee one day and do some cutting!