Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question where to get ears pierced?

Ok, now that my daughter is a couple monthes old and is ok to get her ears pierced I would like to get them done. I do not want people saying not too or I shouldn't because the younger they are the better, they will just take them out when they are older and they will not remember the pain if they were babies. Soo where do I go? I do not want to bring her to claire's as they use a piercing gun and do not approve of that. Anyone who's had their daughters ears pierced please comment with where you went and how it went. I'm new to london. Thanks.

we went to Carol Baker Visage, but they also use a piercing gun.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by brooklyn2011 View Post
    I do not want to bring her to claire's as they use a piercing gun and do not approve of that.

if you dont approve of piercing guns you wont be able to get them done till 4-7 ish at a tattoo studio sorry

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    if you dont approve of piercing guns you wont be able to get them done till 4-7 ish at a tattoo studio sorry
    Agreed. Every place I've ever heard of that does babies uses a gun.

Expert Forum User

I was going to say the same thing. When I looked into it that is what I learned.
    Andrea - Mommy to two beautiful girls.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

The guns are pretty unsanitary. Why risk an ear infection in an infant?

Mine is 5 and told me she wants her done now cause some of her friends have earrings. I pinched her earlobe HARD the other day and told her if she could take the pain she was ready. She was fine! Then I did the same to my 2 year old and she cried. Not ready.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Welcome to LM! This is a bit of a hot topic on here. (babies getting their ears pierced)

Babies can feel pain. They are a person just like the rest of us. I don't understand how people think they can't feel pain. Makes no sense to me at all. She's going to have to live with the pain from piercing and not have a clue why she's hurting.

Please take her to a proper piercing place and get it done where they use sterile instruments and proper jewelry. They will put a hoop in which is much easier to clean and they know what they're doing. This is all they do for a living.
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Quote Originally Posted by ChinUp View Post
    The guns are pretty unsanitary. Why risk an ear infection in an infant?

Mine is 5 and told me she wants her done now cause some of her friends have earrings. I pinched her earlobe HARD the other day and told her if she could take the pain she was ready. She was fine! Then I did the same to my 2 year old and she cried. Not ready.
    I know hard core prefers kids be 6 and I “think“ one other place does that and will do them at 4 which is fine I also know some tattoo places will not do any piercings on kids what so ever.

as a baby they are apt to tug and pull which is more dangerous than an older child who you can to some degree reason with with as to why you dont do that.

also many places like claires will tell you to use junk on them which in reality is not needed all you need is soap and water thats it.

I had D's ears done the first time at 6 it was awesome second time was last year or the year before and her nose this year (yep my 11 yr old is well on her way to having many earrings lol) and though she did take her earrings out it was her choice and not due to infection.

Also many many people say oh the cost at a studio honestly its 35$ which is close to what gun places charge and you are getting 150% sterile equipment, trained people so its worth it.

Oh and of course they will remember the pain. Just like they remember being born and what it was like in the womb. She's going to to say “mommy, you hurt me when i was a baby getting my ears pierced“ but she'll store it in and it'll come out in other ways.

Why am I even bothering with this?
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

I think some peads do it. Not sure if there are any in london, but our pead here has a sign in her office that she offers it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    I think some peads do it. Not sure if there are any in london, but our pead here has a sign in her office that she offers it.
    if a ped is using a piecing needle and the right jelwelery so you can do it in one shot I would still not even do it there.

when a piercer in a tattoo shop does they put the needle in attach the earring and then finish pulling it through. there is no pull the needle the through and then try to push a earring into a fresh hole which can cause damage to the fresh hole.also when a tattoo studio does it everything is right already sterilized and through an autoclave no buying earrings in one place and transporting

the guns are unsanitary HOWEVER 99% of the gun doesn't touch your daughters ear... the gun only pushes the earring through the ear and into the backing that it is being held by a small part of the gun. and the tiny parts that are touching your kids ear should be cleaned with an alcohol wipe before and after touching the ear.
    if you dont see that happening then i wouldn't go to that place
    i understand where you get the unsanitary and ear infection part. i used to work at Claire's and have done almost a thousand piercings... the only time that the ear should get infected is if it was being touched and irritated to much or the child/parent isn't cleaning it properly

Quote Originally Posted by AutumRain View Post
    the guns are unsanitary HOWEVER 99% of the gun doesn't touch your daughters ear... the gun only pushes the earring through the ear and into the backing that it is being held by a small part of the gun. and the tiny parts that are touching your kids ear should be cleaned with an alcohol wipe before and after touching the ear.
    if you dont see that happening then i wouldn't go to that place
    i understand where you get the unsanitary and ear infection part. i used to work at Claire's and have done almost a thousand piercings... the only time that the ear should get infected is if it was being touched and irritated to much or the child/parent isn't cleaning it properly
    guns dont push they use blunt force tauma to force a DULL earring into the ear.

ears bleed, blood gets onto the gun in parts that cant to into an autoclave there fore though its low risk the risk of spreading blood borne disease is present hep c can live 3 days

again ears dont need special cleaning soap and water thats all it need

note: not trying to sound bi*** or mean

Expert Forum User

One down side is when you pierce a baby's ear the ear will grow and the earring might not end up in the right place. I had my DDs ears done when they were babies and they look fine but I've seen people where the earring is so high they can't wear small hoops so it's something to consider.

My second daughter’s ears were done when she was 6 months old at Caryl Baker Visage – Masonville. Amazing service and professional staff! I was really dreading the moment but it was truly a fantastic experience. And before I forget, their ear piercing system is very safe indeed because they are using pre-sealed hypoallergenic earrings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast