Unhappy I'm SO ready to wean- he's SO not

My goal was to make it to 2 years but the last few months I've felt so done with BFing. I really want it to be a nice ending though and I don't think it's going to work if I go through with weaning.

I have been trying to cut back with nursing and it has somewhat worked but L will have complete meltdowns if I don't nurse him and I'm home. He is night weaned and is fine when I am at work but if I am at the house he will not settle with out it.

I feel really guilty because he is obviously still so attached to it and I know it's best for him. I just really feel exhausted by it and done.

Is there a nicer way to go about this? Can I still have a sweet ending to our nursing term if I wean him before he is ready?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I hear ya. When M was 15-16 months I was so touched out I didn't think I'd make it to 2 years. How old is L now?
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Expert Forum User

DD officially weaned at 18 months. I started cutting her back at a year and we were down to two feedings per day for quite a while. I wish I could give you exact age but I can't remember when it happened exactly. I started distracting her and such rather than feeding when she asked.

He'll be 18 months later this month. I sometimes can give him a snack or lunch instead but other times he just won't have it! He does drink almond milk and goats milk too. I don't think I'd be bothered so much if I could get him down to just his morning and night feed. If he had it his way he'd still be nursing 7x a day.

I'd love to give advice but I have never made it past the 6 month mark nursing. I find it fascinating that you ladies have continued past a year and I think it's fantastic! I honestly feel like you've sparked something in me to continue with DS4 beyond 1 (he's only 4 months now)... Thank you for sharing!

Expert Forum User

No advice other than what you are doing. Trying to distract him with other things. Is there a time when he wants to nurse more? Maybe you could go outside and play or for a walk or something.
    I've never really weaned a child. DS1 stopped after DD was born and I was so upset we didn't make it to 2 years (he was 22months). DD stopped after DS2 was born.

The tricky one is before and after his nap. The only way I can distract him from having a meltdown after his nap is with his mighty machines dvd until I make him a snack. I don't know if all the trouble to avoid nursing is worth it?? I'm definitely feeling pretty touched out though.

Ah yes. M went throught a horrible touchy phase and I really questioned my 2 year goal and if we were going to make it. I started a few threads about this too. In one of them, hecate suggested reading “mothering your nursing toddler“ and it was so helpful to me. See if you can borrow a copy from the library or from a LLL meeting. It was really eye opening. I'll have to remember to read it again when N's older.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Quote Originally Posted by forevergreen. View Post
    The tricky one is before and after his nap. The only way I can distract him from having a meltdown after his nap is with his mighty machines dvd until I make him a snack. I don't know if all the trouble to avoid nursing is worth it?? I'm definitely feeling pretty touched out though.
    Can you have a snack ready so when he wakes up it's just straight to eating his snack?