Expert Forum User

Question Teachers..can you help?

ODD (7) tried to get out of school yet again...stomach ache So DH took her anyway and before she left it was clear she was still upset with friends not wanting to play with her or being mean.

I called the school and left a message "HI it is Mrs. M. I would like to talk to either her teacher or someone who is outside during recess. Please have someone call me back" Left my name and number twice. All day no call.

DD just got home and said "You talked to my teacher?" I said no she never called me back. "She pulled me aside and we talked about recess and she is going to talk to girls A & B"

Is it odd that my request to have a call back was ignored and the matter discussed with my 7 year old? I mean what if it had been something that I wanted to address with only the teacher?

Just want to know if that is the norm? I find it super odd myself but then I am odd at times too

Expert Forum User

That is really weird! I sent a note one day with my DD asking the teacher to call me when she gets a chance, and she called me that day at lunch hour. I would not be impressed!
    Stacey

Expert Forum User

It is often very difficult for teachers to return calls the same day. Generally, secretaries leave phone messages in staff mailboxes, so the teacher might not get it until after school, or tomorrow morning (unless s/he) checks it during the day. If s/he did get it today, s/he may not have had time to call you.

Expert Forum User

Well she did call so that is all good but is it weird that she talked to DD first?

Just wondering from a teachers standpoint. What if it was something I did not want told to DD or something I wanted handled just between adults?!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I think that would be weird.
    Maybe she was just trying to talk to T to have a heads up about what's going on before she called you.
    I hope things get better!

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

If your message said “a teacher who is outside at recess“....that would differ by which recess/day it was. So, IMO its likely that the teacher talked to your DD to find out what the problem was and when it occurred so that she would be able to have the applicable duty teacher call you if needed. I don't think its weird. I think it sounds like she was trying to prep herself before calling you. I

Expert Forum User

my thoughts as a teacher, who did you give the message to? If you left it in the teachers voicemail, not all teachers check it on a regular basis (I'm guilty of this, I often forget because a phone is not on my direct way either to my class or away from my class at the beginning/end of the day)

You didn't say what recess time or what yard location, the school that I'm at has 3 different yard areas (Primary yard, Junior Yard, Intermediate Yard) with 2 teachers on each yard + 1-2 EA's on each yard. You need to be specific with the request as to who you would like a phone call from.

Does your child use their planner? I will communicate with parents via the planner (it's just up to the child to show the parent, and parents sign it every night) You might want to make a note in the planner that you would like to meet/talk. The other option is that parent/teacher interviews are next week (TVDSB at least) and you can make an appointment to go in and talk to the teacher about your concerns.