Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

in the kitchen, the garden, and the laundry room

Exclamation Lockdown in STRATHROY??

CAn ANYONE tell me why a school in Strathroy was on lockdown today??

My kids were, naturally freaked out!

thankfully, my youngest was with me when it happened!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Perhaps it was a drill?

They always send a parent note home here if it was real.

Expert Forum User

Nope, it was real. And no one is telling us anything at the moment! There are a bunch of us looking into it and we hope to find out what happened ASAP.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Expert Forum User

Which school- I saw a couple of cops with lights on and an SUV pulled over on the road outside the high schools a couple hours ago.
    I have 4 boys ages 7, 5, and 3 and newborn

Expert Forum User

I am also wonderinng what school now. I know nothing and my son didn't mentioned anything to me about it being his school........

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddlebug View Post
    I am also wonderinng what school now. I know nothing and my son didn't mentioned anything to me about it being his school........
    Did you ask him?

Expert Forum User

No he was Sleeping when I saw this. I will ask him tomorrow.....

Expert Forum User

I had a big huge reply typed out and then my netbook rebooted. ARGH!
    Anyway. For those asking, it was the public school in the north end.
    What I have heard - and this is in no way confirmed - is that there was a domestic situation nearby and the school was told to lockdown. That raises red flags and questions for me. Immediately I think - domestic in the neighbourhood and one parent has threatened to grab the kid from school. Or, there is a heavy-duty weapon being waved around. Then I hear that there were 6 police cars at the school - this has been repeated by MANY of the kids - so it makes me wonder if it was happening AT the school. I also heard - but again, not confirmed - that a police car followed one of the busses when it left the school. But, if I was a custodial parent worried that my kid was going to be snatched off the bus, the child sure in heck would not be riding on the bus at the end of the day!
    This all happened after second recess (balanced day) and no information came home from the school. My DD tells me it went on for 50 mins to an hour.
    Thankfully, she seems ok about it now, but she did say several times that she was scared when it was happening.

Hoping to find out more tomorrow.
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

in the kitchen, the garden, and the laundry room

Tansie, that is very similar to the story i was told after posting this thread.

no note home, though maybe there will be today?

Kids left speculating and wondering isn`t a good idea!

My daughter confirmed, they were told clearly that it WAS NOT A DRILL!

though, naturally, i`m slightly queasy at the idea of having to send them today...

School lockdowns do happen because of other crimes/situations happening in the vincity. It doesn't have to be involving the school at all. So, a domestic in the neighbourhood is completely reasonable explanation. It doesn't need to have involved a “heavy weapon“ either. Its possible that they lockdown the school to prevent someone fleeing from escaping into it for example. Not that they were specifically afraid that anyone wanted to target someone inside the school.

Obviously if the children were released from class to get on the busses, the danger must have passed, so I doubt that the police are “followed“ the bus. More likely, the police car was leaving at the same time as the bus along the same route and the kids drew that conclusion.

I don't think I would hesitate at all to send my kids to school today. A lockdown is just a precautionary measure to ensure their safety. Obviously school staff and police were on the ball and did a good job. I be more upset to hear that there wasn't one in light of a nearby potential danger.

ETA-we've had several lockdowns due to nearby robberies or domestics. All it means is that the kids have to stay in the classroom and that we draw the shades and lock the doors. Otherwise we continue on as previously scheduled. Its not that big a deal IMO.

We had a lock down a couple weeks ago because there was drugs/stolen car on the other end of town. Nothing to do with the school at all.

I wouldn't hesitate to send your kids to school this morning. They will be fine.

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Expert Forum User

From StrathroyToday.ca

North Meadows Public School experienced a lock down yesterday afternoon as the Strathroy-Caradoc Police were looking for a suspect in relation to a domestic issue. Police when to a house in the area of the school to look for the suspect, but he was not there. There was a rumor that he may have been at the school, but police checked the area and he was nowhere to be found. The lock down was just a precaution and Strathroy-Caradoc Police are sill looking into this incident.

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Expert Forum User

P.S I'm not concerned about sending my child to school today, but i do believe there was more than enough time at the end of the day to send home a note about what happened/why it happened. My dd was ok, but I know of quite a few kids that did not sleep well last night. It has to be scary to have doors locked, lights off, and huddling behind a teacher's desk for an hour. My DD said she was scared while it was happening, but I think she got over that because she was busy trying to somfort other kids that were more scared than her. It would be nice to be able to talk to my child and comfort them on what was happening.

Of course, there was no way to get through to the school after I found out. The line was busy, busy, busy...and yet noone I talked to had a straight answer either. Just frustrating as a parent of a child in a primary grade.

It has to be scary to have doors locked, lights off, and huddling behind a teacher's desk for an hour.
    ?? WHY were they doing that?

Lockdown procedure here for an outside threat (something going on in the vincity) is that the classroom doors are locked, school doors are locked, shades are drawn and no one enters the hallways. BUT things proceed as they normally would inside the classroom.

The only time that we'd have kids huddled behind the teacher's desk etc would be if there was a direct threat against the school (someone INSIDE the school with a weapon, or someone outside the school with a weapon trying to gain entry).

Quote Originally Posted by laurensmom View Post
    ?? WHY were they doing that?

Lockdown procedure here for an outside threat (something going on in the vincity) is that the classroom doors are locked, school doors are locked, shades are drawn and no one enters the hallways. BUT things proceed as they normally would inside the classroom.

The only time that we'd have kids huddled behind the teacher's desk etc would be if there was a direct threat against the school (someone INSIDE the school with a weapon, or someone outside the school with a weapon trying to gain entry).

I think they took it too far if they made them do that. When DS's school was on lock down he had no idea at all. It happened over a recess so they told the kids there was construction on the equipment so they were unable to go outside.

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast