Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Life insurance question - a quick question.

I talked to bmo over the phone and arranged for life insurance. Answered phone questions, and they are sending a nurse out. She's coming tomorrow to do the blood work, pee sample, more questions. She has the policy for me to read and sign, too.
    So does that mean that like, I'm covered then?
    Or is it like pending that the blood and pee work agree with what I say (nonsmoker, not ill with anything, etc)
    Or does it take a while to kick in?
    Just curious, cos I have surgery Friday, and it would be nice to know I had insurance. I know. Way to leave it til the last second eh
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

i believe you need to wait for the under writers for it to take in effect..?

When I did insurance the nurse came out and stuff and from the time the nurse came out and they started taking $ until I was approved I was covered. Miss A was covered while they were going through all the paper work and stuff...but they decided she is “too much of a liability“ so they denied her and gave back the $ that I paid for her coverage while they were going through the paper work.

April 14, 2001-May 05, 2001
    April 29, 2015

I only know that the blood/pee dictate what level of coverage you get. Basically, the healthier you are the less you pay. Blood pressure, cholesterol, age, smoking, etc. I have been 15 months pregnant each time we've upped our coverage and gone through it so I don't think Bmi is heavily weighted since I got great rates and I was huge.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntPetunia View Post
    I only know that the blood/pee dictate what level of coverage you get. Basically, the healthier you are the less you pay. Blood pressure, cholesterol, age, smoking, etc. I have been 15 months pregnant each time we've upped our coverage and gone through it so I don't think Bmi is heavily weighted since I got great rates and I was huge.
    I didn't realize you could be pregnant for 15mos!

Oh dude. You totally can be. Think: elephant. In everyway except the trunk.

Administrator Site Admin

you have an insurance expert here you can ask too!!
    Leslie

Expert Forum User

We just did ours, it took about two and a half weeks from start to finish. We met with our agent on a Thursday, the next week the nurse came to our house, it took a little over a week, maybe closer to two weeks for the results to come back and the underwriter to do the policy and we signed it today. But the policy still won't take effect until Nov. 7.

They didn't take any money before they knew we qualified, and our health didn't affect what we would pay, we were told the cost of the policy on our very first visit from the agent. The cost is based on how much coverage you want and if it's a term, whole life or split policy, being a smoker may affect the cost, but since neither of us smoke that wasn't an issue here. The health questionaire and bio-physical just made us qualify to be covered or not. They won't cover you if you have certain health conditions and the bio-physical proves that you don't have them.

They did tell me there are different rates depending on my condition. Like he asked if I considered myself average or especially fit. I said average. So if I'd said fit, I would pay less - assuming my nurse checkup verified that, of course. I figure I'm average though lol and that is pushing it

But, I want to ask them something because on the commercial it says a lower price than what I was quoted as the lower price; so quite a bit lower than what I actually will pay.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

This varies from company to company. Some will cover you during the underwriting process (if you've paid the first premium with the application) and some do not. You should just call and ask. Although if you haven't paid anything, you are likely not covered.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Blood and pee work can take time to get back. Likely NOT before Friday.

Ask BMO if you have applied for Temporary Insurance (it covers you until the insurance application is approved). Ask the details of that - if your application is rejected are you still covered by the Temp Ins in place.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

Yup, it takes some time. I believe I got some confirmation in the mail about 2 weeks after.

The nurse that came did our BP, weight, height, waist/hip circumference (lol -- would be lots of fun while preggers), urine and blood tests.

At the ob's today my urine was the freakiest weird colour. Hopefully that isn't going to mess up my results on tonight's test if it's got something wacky going on cos of pregnancy! I think it might just be too much iron, cos I'm on 900mg plus prenatals and actually took all 3 doses yesterday and one today.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11