Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Children and Chiropractic

I am a big fan of chiropractic and go weekly... I've never felt better. But for some reason the idea of letting him adjust my babies just doesn't sit well with me. I know the health benefits for myself but just can't mange to bring my kids. Do any of you bring your babies/children? Have you noticed a decrease in illness? How do they enjoy going? Any info you could give (good or bad) I would love to hear. Any links for suggested reading you found helpful would be great too. Thanks!!!

I took Rebecca when she was 7 years old, the adjustment of her neck freaked her out a bit.
    But loved going ...when we moved to London the one here doesn't impress her much so she stopped going.

The future is uncertain... but this uncertainty is at the very heart of human creativity

Zoo
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I think it soooo depends on the chiropractor. I was a CHA in Toronto and I worked with a woman who was a brilliant diagnostician, and did *wonderful* things for children, working alongside their dr's. She helped my oldest son's sinus issues, and was so intuitive and gentle. Our family chiro, as well, "checked out" my babies when they were born (but didn't "treat" beyond the first initial "adjustment" (which is nothing like it is for an adult, it's more like a thorough examination really).

On the other hand, I've read the industry literature that basically calls for chiropractors to "grow their business," "increase their revenue," and "tap into the market" of treating children. I think there are plenty of practitioners who see dollar signs when they look at your children, and will want you to bring them in for frequent adjustments and claim they can cure everything from bedwetting to stutters to failing grades.

Go with your gut. I think that chiropractors are usually *very* in tune with the body, and if you have one that you trust, then he or she would likely be a valuable asset to your child's health care.

Expert Forum User

within walking distance of downtown but a good part

i took logan at about 6 weeks they say it is suppose to help with colic babies and it did, he was clic for about 7 weeks and i took him at 6 weeks took one adjustment and a week later he wasnt colic anymore

I sell AVON I sell SCENTSY JOIN THE PARTY!

Expert Forum User

I believe more in Massage Therapy than in Chiropractic care. That is my opinion.

The reason being is that DH's family goes to someone in Barrie, Dr. Turner who gets you to come once week for 3-5 treatments each day which turns out to be around $50 per adjustment. DH's sister's family believes in it and wanted DS and I to go which we said no as I was 3 months pregnant and was not going to start because he wanted me to go up to 9 months and I was not going to drive all the way to Barrie for a day and back. I have a problem with my SIL's kids aged 9, 6 and 3 going for treatments each week espcially since you do not know the repercussions in later years and the 3 and 6 year old cannot really explain that they do not want the treatments. So Barmybee, I agree that children should only have Chiro if there are no other medical alternatives!

Since University I have gone to a RMT once a month that is covered on my extended health plan when I was in Edmonton, Vancouver for 5 years and now I go to an RMT in Wortley Village who specializes in pre-natal and post-natal massage. I have been going to her for 4 years and adore her massage treatments as she has a pregnancy table.

That is my opinion. I have been blessed with 2 pregnancy's and no back pain so I have never required Chiropratic care. If my back went out I definitely go to Chiro to fix the problem but then I do not like that you have to go on maintainance every 6 weeks. I would much rather spend $65 on a massage treatment for an hour than a 10 minute Chiro treament.

Good topic for discussion.
    Last edited by Granola; 03-02-2008 at 09:16 PM.
    Granola is a Mum to 2 wonderful boys

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

I used to go all the time because my mom was an asst at the office and after Alysa was born I took when she was a few weeks old. Apparently the birthing process is really hard on their bodies and can actually make a lot of things out of alignment. It seemed to help her and we used to go quite frequently but since we moved to ON I havent gone.
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

I go every two weeks and now my daughter goes that often too. She has had waaaay fewer illnesses this last year but I don't know if it is chiropractor or her immune system getting better. I will take this baby to get adjusted after the delivery but I don't know if I will do regular adjustments until the baby is walking....we'll see.

I go about once a month or so and do take my kids. Sometimes they get adjusted and sometimes they don't want to and we don't push it. My chiropractor is great and I really trust him.

Expert Forum User

My children use to get adjusted once a month (min.) until OHIP didn't cover the adjustments and it just became too expensive for me as a single mom with out much support. I've just started back after a few years of not going. I've found a sweetheart here in London finally and I will start taking my kids (well the big kids now) if they ask. I did notice a difference in the health of the children.

girlsmum

I agree with a prior post that birthing causes stress to a baby's body and you can start adjustments a few days after birth BUT agreeing with Zoo to make sure that the chiropractor has adjusted babies before. My old one from Guelph has adjusted all 5 of his children as babies and has a babies wall of fame in his office filled with pics of adjusted babies/toddlers/youths. I started taking Vicky when she was 8 and started dancing, wanted her knees to stay adjusted and straight and she had fewer headaches during the times of treatment.(she's been a severe migraine person).

I second taking kids to see a chiro...they dont always do the same "twisting" and other movements they do on an adult...Dr. Paul Pispidikis is a great chiro - he's adjusted my kids and they loved it! Very good guy!

My hubby is a Chiropractor. Both of my children were adjusted within minutes of being born. All of my nieces and nephews have also been adjusted very soon after birth.

My own kids get adjusted all the time. My husband also sees alot of other kids too.

I know that my own kids do not seem to get sick as often as the other kids they are around. I run a home daycare and there is always something going around with one child or another and my own kids rarely seem to catch it.

The birth process is very traumatic on the spine and an adjustment soon after birth is very beneficial.

I have taken DD to the chiropractors since she was about 3 moths old. She was very colicky and it turned out she was extremely subluxated, probably due to her c-section delivery.
    The adjustment methods used were very gentle, so much so that she could have slept through them. DH and I were so impressed with their care of our daughter that we also began to go and continue to go regularly. The office we go to has a real family atmosphere and our DD loves it there. (If you want info on the office I would be happy to share it with you, just message me). I have heard that they have a video of them adjusting a baby somewhere in u-tube, but I could not find it for you. DH and I plan to introduce any future children we may have to chiropractic fresh from the womb so that they won't have any "power blockages".
    I would have to say that the biggest observation I can make is that our DD, now 1, seems to never be ill. Keeping her nervous system "clear" , I believe, has allowed her body to function better. All my friends children are regularly ill with minor ailments and it strikes me as odd that Ellie has had none (all children are BF babies).
    I hope you do decide to take your LO's. Maybe your chiropractor could show you how they adjust LO's, if not then I could take a video of mine being adjusted and sent it to you if that would help.

Cheers, Trish

Quote Originally Posted by "Granola" View Post
    . So Barmybee, I agree that children should only have Chiro on the advisement of a doctor only!

Oh please! Why do you need your MD to tell you when you should visit a Chiropractor? Do you "ask" your MD if you it is time to visit your optometrist or your dentist? Or for that matter, your massage therapist?

Chiropractors ARE doctors too. Just like dentists and optometrist have studies for many years to specialize in a particular area of the body so have Chiropractors. If everyone soley relied on the exclusive advice of their MD we would all be pumped up on pain meds for backpain with no end in sight for actual correction. It is high time we started to realize that there is a place for other forms of health care than that which is has been so medically indoctrinated into our minds. I don't think that an MD's should have any leverage when making a decision to scope out Chiropractic treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by daycaremommy View Post
    Oh please! Why do you need your MD to tell you when you should visit a Chiropractor? Do you "ask" your MD if you it is time to visit your optometrist or your dentist? Or for that matter, your massage therapist?

Chiropractors ARE doctors too. Just like dentists and optometrist have studies for many years to specialize in a particular area of the body so have Chiropractors. If everyone soley relied on the exclusive advice of their MD we would all be pumped up on pain meds for backpain with no end in sight for actual correction. It is high time we started to realize that there is a place for other forms of health care than that which is has been so medically indoctrinated into our minds. I don't think that an MD's should have any leverage when making a decision to scope out Chiropractic treatment.
    Well said! Couldnt have said that better myself!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast