Default Detroit Metro Airport

We are flying out of Detroit and are trying to decide between park and fly or staying in a hotel and parking there.

Any insite on either? Any hotel recommendations? Prices of either?

Thanks
    Deb S

Banned

The airport parking might cost more but it is monitored by camera's so it would safer, most hotels don't have camera's in their parking lots and will tell you they are not responsible if anything happens to your car. If you did decide to leave your car at a Hotel and it looks like they have camera's please ask them if they are active. I know of three hotels here in London, that have what look to be camera's all over their parking lot and they are just fakes.

Have you thought about taking a Robert Q down? that would save you the aggrivation of having to take your car down.

Expert Forum User

I would recommend just parking at the airport. what time is your flight going out. It might be worthwhile just to drive down that day.

We have to be at the airport by 4:00am. This is why I thought staying over might be more beneficial.

We just parked at the Detroit airport a few weeks ago for a week. There on site parking is called "Big Blue" and it is $8 a day. It is right at the airport and the free shuttle takes you right to your terminal. When you get off your plane, a shuttle is there to take you back to your car. Remember to have a few american dollars to tip your driver.
    Ethan&Carter\'s Mom

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Hi,
    We flew out of Detroit in January and our flight left bright and early in the morning as well. We stayed at the Howard Johnson I think, and left our car there. The shuttle was very convenient and the price was maybe $20 more than it would have been to park at the park n' fly and we got a hotel room out of it. The hotel room was a bit dingy and I wouldn't want to stay there any longer than I had to mind you.

I did prefer this option though because it meant we got more sleep - which is always great when you are travelling -especially with 2 little ones as we were.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

Since you have to be at the airport so early I say stay at a hotel. My parents do all the time (at least once a year) and have never had problems.

We prefer to drive down the day of and park at US Park. It's a bit further from the airport but it has a great shuttle service. We've never had any problems.