Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default VENT - I HATE report cards

I just need to vent somewhere, and I thought that this would be the best place to do it rather than in my students report cards. I really hope that parents actually take the time to read the comments on their child's report card. I have so far spend about 2 hours on my report cards and I have completed the learning skills and comments, and the English comments for 1/2 of one class. For background, I teach 3 English classes and 3 Social Studies classes. Sooooo, if it is going to take me about 2 hours to complete one class and I have 6 to do, that's a good 12 hours of work that I have to do on my own time, I can't use class time to do them and I do not have any more preps before they are due. I feel like I'm not going to be spending the quality time I would like to spend with my DD or my DH.

Please someone tell me it's worth it.

I don't know but if you find me can you send me home???

Well my child isn't in grade 3 or anything yet, but I do read all the comments and even tell all of his granparents the same comments too........

MrsB- I hate them too. You are not alone.
    mama to 3

Expert Forum User

And that's why I love supply teaching... Report cards? No thanks

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Banned

I read the entire thing - out loud to the kids when they bring them home, to myself later on, then the grandparents read them too. Much appreciated!

Expert Forum User

I read everything in the report card and appreciate the time that is put into them. How else would I know of the progress of my DD and what I can do to help her succeed. Thanks to all the teachers that take the time.

Expert Forum User

Kudos to you for taking the time to make comments.....lately half the time our step son only has a few teachers who do

Comments make a report care 'individualized' and 'specific' to the child. We love to read the comments...they are so much more useful ecspecially when they speak to strengths and weaknesses of a subject...this is much more helpful than just the 'grade' and we use the comments to set goals with our son and provide 'extra curricular' activities that support the areas that he is struggling in. I also save a copy og all his report cards...just like my parents did for me....great too look back and read what teachers said about you oh so long ago!!!

As for the time that could be spent with DH and DD....I totally empathize with you...I do developmental profiles on the children in daycare too and they are time consuming...and in most daycares you get NO prep time so it is all on our lunch or home time as well as all our programming prep which is another reason why I am loving working from home...still do the profiles but I can do them while the kids are sleeping as I have access to a computer whenever I want...in daycares you have to share the one outdated one with 20+ other coworkers

Whitehills...Two blocks from my childhood home!

I read my niece's who goto a rural school in Melbourne Ont. However I never look at the grades..I value the comments more. Exp for my oldest niece who struggles. The comments help me figure out what she needs.

Expert Forum User

to you for all the time you are spending on them! As a parent I KNOW I will read EVERY comment made!

Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    And that's why I love supply teaching... Report cards? No thanks

MM
    EXACTLY! That is the reason I didn't become a teacher and am a CYW! I wanted to work with the kids WITHOUT the responsibility of paperwork.

I KNOW how much work they are Lisa and I sympathize with you A LOT! You know where to find me if you need a break! I'm thinking of you!
    Laura
    Mom to Haley (7) and Paige (5)

If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.
    ~Lewis Hine~

mumtobelle

Quote Originally Posted by Hame View Post
    I read my niece's who goto a rural school in Melbourne Ont. However I never look at the grades..I value the comments more. Exp for my oldest niece who struggles. The comments help me figure out what she needs.
    Good lord, that's my old public school...

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

As a parent I read ALL the comments and usually more than once. I even look forward to reading my brother's report cards( he's 14) So I think it's worth it and I appreciate all the work my dd's teacher puts into them.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Banned

I always read the whole thing and love the layout of the strengths/weakness/next step . It really gives some great ideas to make a plan at home. I know this is especially important for my 9 year old.
    I know I appreciate all the extra work the teachers put in to help my kids learn.

Expert Forum User

Thanks ladies. I have now finished one whole class, 5 more to do, just not tonight. I'm hoping that during my prep tomorrow I will be able to get another English class finished, then when I get home the final English class. Friday's plan is to attack the 3 social studies classes, I just don't know when, they are due in the office at 3. I might have to ask for an extension..... or hope for a snow day tomorrow.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MrsB View Post
    Thanks ladies. I have now finished one whole class, 5 more to do, just not tonight. I'm hoping that during my prep tomorrow I will be able to get another English class finished, then when I get home the final English class. Friday's plan is to attack the 3 social studies classes, I just don't know when, they are due in the office at 3. I might have to ask for an extension..... or hope for a snow day tomorrow.
    Oh please NO SNOW DAY!! lol I have had kids home all week and finally they are all (except Noah) going to school.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I read the comments and am very grateful for them. I get more from the comments than the "grades". Please know that I appreciate what you (teachers) do on a daily basis more than words of thanks can say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast