Default What's your cleaning routine?

I have a four year old and a four month old and a hubby and between the four of us, I do the majority of the cleaning while they do the majority of the messing up! DH does help with dishes and laundry but really, only 30% of the time and he gets defensive when I ask him to do more. Sigh.

Do you clean on a daily basis or weekly or whenever messes just pile high? Do high traffic areas get daily priority?

I'm just curious. I'd like the house to look relatively tidy on an on-going basis but I swear as soon as I turn my back, there's a mess.

Part of the reason why I'm also asking this question is that we have guests coming over on Saturday and I'd like the house to look presentable without having to be exhausted on Saturday from all the cleaning.

17, 6 and 3
    cleaning daily
    never let things pile up
    i also have cats so vac is a must daily
    I find having such a regular routine allows me more free time because there is never a day of chores just light cleaning
    but then i do like cleaning and having things in their place adds pride to my home
    I tell my children all the time to take pride in the home inwhich they live. Its a representation of who they are, they are expected to clean their rooms(to the best of their abilities) and my younger ones always want to dust, and vac their own rooms and i am SO okay with that

cleaning routine? what's that?

I typically clean up the living room/play area once the little one goes to bed. Weekends I focus on laundry. Other then that I usually wing it.

Expert Forum User

Before I got pregnant, sick and lazy I divided up the housework into daily tasks
    Mon- laundry, vacuum
    Tues- baking
    Weds-vacuum, misc chores that I've noticed need to be done/get done monthly (eg. clean microwave, sew on buttons, wipe down furniture, clean fingerprints off tv and mirrors, clean out fridge )
    Thurs- bathroom, mopping, give kitchen a scrub
    Fri-vacuum, declutter, dust
    Sat- grocery shopping
    Sun- catch up, vacuum (curse you beige carpet)

Each day in the morning I did most of the chores cause I felt perky, I made the beds in the morning, and picked up all the toys and clutter at naptime and after bedtime

however now I'm sick and zombielike with exhaustion and DH and I have to pack. Frozen pizza is about the extent of my cooking effort these days and I've stopped doing chores except what is absolutely necessary although next week we have to deep clean absolutely everything before we move so I suppose I've been slacking because of that too (the 'why bother because I'm going to have to redo it anyways' factor)

[/url]

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I used to have one, but I've been slacking big time and have no set timeline for anything. I clean the bathroom as needed ( usually 2 x's a week) floors whenever I feel the urge lol and dust meh when I wanna! I need to get back to having a clean house I hate my cluttered messy place!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Can't say really that i have a cleaning routine, laundry is always done on the weekends as we are on that hourly hydro meter thing, vacuming I tend to do a lot more since I purchased a romba and just have to press a button to clean, I scrub the kitchen down on weekends and my husband does the bathrooms when i nag him to.....fridge cleanout is every 2 weeks....i try and put things in their place after they are used....hubby is almost on board with this after 3 yrs lol....i expect all this to change drastically after the baby as jenelen said since i've gotten pregnant i've gotten lazy though....haha

A room a day. We have an 8yo, 7yo, 5yo, 4yo, 2yo and 4 months. This is the only thing that seems to work for us.
    This way I don't get overwhelmed if another place is messy because I know that I will get to it on its designated day.
    Monday - living room. I will take cushions off of the couch to vacuum, floor, gut out toybox... Once you have done this for a couple of weeks it is very easy to do the room of the day. Kitchen is Wednesday because I have to clean out the fridge before Thursdays grocery shop. I do whatever I can in that room for that day (cupboards, fridge, drawers) and then leave it for the next Wednesday. I don't stress about other rooms or closets on that day because I know it will be worked on another day. I used to get stressed out when I cleaned because it was overwhelming. I never knew where to start. I would be putting something away and something would fall out at me (in a closet) and I would want to clean that. Now I know I can clean it on its rightful day.
    I do a general tidy every day and laundry gets done every day. My three older children have their “sections“ so that does most of the tidy work. Kitchen (table and floor) is one, the middle section (entrance area) and living room. Things like windows I just choose a day that isn't too time consuming and I feel like doing it. I don't mind windows anymore because I have my Norwex cloths and it makes it enjoyable! lol
    I have tried flylady and other ways but I always go back to my room a day.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I don't have any set routine per se. I simply get to stuff when it needs to be done. I have a dust allergy, so I can't stand living in a dusty house & I really like clean bathrooms, so those things get done the most often. It's the clutter and toys everywhere that's getting to me lately (I can thank my youngest DS for that lol!).

Social Media Guru

Everyday: dishes and a general tidy of all rooms....putting things back in place, etc

One day a week a room is deep cleaned....dusted, windows, vacuumed a really good tidy, mop

Monday are bedrooms
    Tuesday are washroom
    Wednesday is kitchen
    Thursday is laundry
    Friday is living/ dining room
    Saturday is grocery shop
    Sunday is laundry/ filing for the week and bills

Doesn't always happen that way but it makes a huge difference to dreading Sunday and spending the whole day cleaning

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Anytime the kids are happily playing, I clean something. Or when they're in the tub I clean the bathroom or put away laundry.

I keep it generally tidy - everything picked up off the LR floor daily - but just try and clean things here and there. Otherwise it piles up and I can't stand that. Sometimes I go home and lunch and clean something. Or do laundry.

I find the 5 minutes here and there really help. I may not get a whole bathroom clean, but I can do the toilet, or the sink. Better than nothing.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Sounds like a few of you do a different room each day resulting in a weekly cleaning and daily things like floors and vaccuuming seem to work too.

I do commend those who say they clean the fridge out weekly. Wow! I usually wipe down a shelf when it's empty but not de-cluttering a full fridge.

Am home with children today. We'll see what gets done. It's a countdown to having guests over on Saturday so I hope by the time the day comes (and after the cleaning the kitchen after cooking), it will look presentable! LOL

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I feel like I clean all day everyday!!

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Expert Forum User

DS is just about 3.
    I usually keep the house presentable, but it has a bit of a lived in feel. I clean when I feel like it, and sometimes thats everyday, other times its once a week after the mess has piled up a bit.
    If I know someones going to be visiting I clean that day or the day before.

I guess my cleaning routine is more like;

Daily; Dishes, and toys picked up from the livingroom.
    Every other day, Cat box
    At least once a week, whole house clean.

Works best for me..

Expert Forum User

Almost 8 and 6 months.

I expect the almost 8 year old to pick up his room/playroom - usually his room his clean, but playroom not so much. If he brings toys into family room they are to be cleaned before bed.

Every morning during babies first nap I do dishes from yesterday and clean cat litter.
    And do one more chore each day -vacuum upstairs, sweep main floor (every 2-3 days), wash main floor, clean bathrooms, tidy family room, and then add in a weekly thing - last week I washed the windows. So most jobs get done once a week and if I have extra time then I do extra but normally just 1 chore a day.

Quote Originally Posted by jenelen View Post

however now I'm sick and zombielike with exhaustion and DH and I have to pack. Frozen pizza is about the extent of my cooking effort these days and I've stopped doing chores except what is absolutely necessary although next week we have to deep clean absolutely everything before we move so I suppose I've been slacking because of that too (the 'why bother because I'm going to have to redo it anyways' factor)
    I totally understand, my first trimester with this baby sucked! I'm just now starting to feel better (almost 17wks) I just did the basics and we ate crappy dinners, I'm back to cooking, baking and cleaning again... yay! We are also moving and need to start packing soon.... not looking forward to that!

Handmade Headbands, Hats, Tutus and Accessories
    Check out Pretty Bambino Headbands, Hats and Accessories on Facebook!

www.facebook.com/PrettyBambinoHeadbands

Proud Mommy to Ethan and Ila