Expert Forum User

Default Student Mamas...how do you do it?

So 2 weeks ago I started back to school. Already I am so unbelievably overwhelmed. How do you do it?

They kept saying that this has to be your priority, this has to be your number one focus. If you have kids how can it be?

I get up every morning between 5 and 5:30 to work out. I shower, get the kids up, breakfast, get the kids ready for school, get myself ready for school, drop the kids off at the sitter's at 7:45 for my 8:30 class. Then, take Tuesdays for example. I am in class until 4:30. Then Sydney skates (luckily until the end of this month it's at the RBC center, which is right beside the college) at 4:25 until 5:30. So I rush over to see a few minutes of her skating (David has driven them there). Then at 5:00 Paige and I leave because she has dance from 5:30-6:00. We will eat out because there just isn't time to make anything.
    After getting the kids fed, showered, their homework done, stories read, tucked in bed, and lunches made for the next day, finally at 9 or 9:30 I can sit down to start reading, completing labs, studying, etc. By then I am just so exhausted, but I don't have any other options.

Please. What do you do? How do you make it work? I know I'm not alone. I am on the verge of tears all the time that this is going to be a complete failure. That I am going to be a complete failure.
    Lori, Mom to Sydney, Paige and Easton

Expert Forum User

Well I am behind on my reading and assignments already so I am not a great example, but I know in previous years, the first month has been the worst! After that it gets easier, somehow the routine gets better - just hang tight! Take advantage of any spare time to read - I take my books with me everywhere or articles that need reading - if there is a 5 min window - I use it!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I did homework for one class in another one. I multitask big time. I could listen to a lecture and do an assignment at the same time for a different class.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Expert Forum User

Aww, hugs! It is tough. I felt like I was going crazy the first year, I was a mom to 3, full time school and working every wknd. Something had to go! So I quit working, which helped, but it is still tough. My readings get behind quite a bit, as the kids are my priority. I agree to bring your readings with you everywhere, and open it while you can! There really isn't much other choice. This is my second year, and thankfully the courseload is alot less, I hope it gets that way for you too.
    What are you taking in school?
    Stacey

I've done it in the past but I couldn't this year. I know what your going through! (((hugs)) I kept hearing the same thing--this has to be your proirity--but how can it be when you have kids, their school, their activities, a house, a husband and a myraid of other things. Your in class all day and then have a bunch of work after they go to bed. Brutal. All that said, I think if you really, really want it, and this is the right time, you can make it work, but something has to give somewhere. For me the something was school, but it could easily be your child's activities, or accepting some very late nights and limited family time for the eight months.

((hugs)) again, I think it is one of the hardest things to do. You can manage it but it's freaking hard.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Expert Forum User

I lived with my parents so didn't have any cleaning or cooking. I just woke up and got DS1 ready and got to school, my mom helped with drop off/pick up to daycare on my early/late days. And then I took care of DS or did school work all night.

I wouldn't have had time for anything else.
    What about having the kids only take things on weekends so you are less stressed - so Saturday morning course instead of night time. Or if its just 8 months of school then have them take things starting in May-August.

When working full-time and taking an online course a couple years ago - I made crock-pot meals usually (just throw together quick in morning - chicken/diana sauce/potatoes-done), or pre-made meals - freezer lasagna/shepherds pie/fish and chips - yes they are higher in sodium, but are still healthy and easy to eat during the school year - especially if they save your sanity.

I've also done this with LTO for teaching (work all day then work all night at home getting things ready for lessons or doing marking).

I usually cook in advance- on weekends, cook 2-3 dishes, then freeze whatever I can. This way, when I get home in the evening, I just need to reheat and make a salad, which is much faster.

I can only relate, no real advice. I am so overwhelemed, lol i want to cry.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by JeWill View Post
    Well I am behind on my reading and assignments already so I am not a great example, but I know in previous years, the first month has been the worst! After that it gets easier, somehow the routine gets better - just hang tight! Take advantage of any spare time to read - I take my books with me everywhere or articles that need reading - if there is a 5 min window - I use it!
    lol it's nice knowing that I'm not the only one behind 2 weeks into it! That's great advice. I can't watch Paige's dance for example, so I can take my books with me and do some reading.

Quote Originally Posted by princess2808 View Post
    I did homework for one class in another one. I multitask big time. I could listen to a lecture and do an assignment at the same time for a different class.
    how do you write notes though? I couldn't write notes from a chem lecture while doing my math homework for example..lol and I'm a great multitasker!

Quote Originally Posted by PalmTree View Post
    Aww, hugs! It is tough. I felt like I was going crazy the first year, I was a mom to 3, full time school and working every wknd. Something had to go! So I quit working, which helped, but it is still tough. My readings get behind quite a bit, as the kids are my priority. I agree to bring your readings with you everywhere, and open it while you can! There really isn't much other choice. This is my second year, and thankfully the courseload is alot less, I hope it gets that way for you too.
    What are you taking in school?
    Thanks for the encouragement I am taking pre health and applying to practical nursing for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    I've done it in the past but I couldn't this year. I know what your going through! (((hugs)) I kept hearing the same thing--this has to be your proirity--but how can it be when you have kids, their school, their activities, a house, a husband and a myraid of other things. Your in class all day and then have a bunch of work after they go to bed. Brutal. All that said, I think if you really, really want it, and this is the right time, you can make it work, but something has to give somewhere. For me the something was school, but it could easily be your child's activities, or accepting some very late nights and limited family time for the eight months.

((hugs)) again, I think it is one of the hardest things to do. You can manage it but it's freaking hard.
    thank you. That's what was so frustrating was that honestly as much as I want it to be the number one priority, it just isn't a reality. It is important and I will do whatever I have to do to get great marks, but really my kids and DH come first. lol I would rather sacrifice sleep over making Syd give up her skating.

Quote Originally Posted by melissawilliam View Post
    I lived with my parents so didn't have any cleaning or cooking. I just woke up and got DS1 ready and got to school, my mom helped with drop off/pick up to daycare on my early/late days. And then I took care of DS or did school work all night.

I wouldn't have had time for anything else.
    What about having the kids only take things on weekends so you are less stressed - so Saturday morning course instead of night time. Or if its just 8 months of school then have them take things starting in May-August.

When working full-time and taking an online course a couple years ago - I made crock-pot meals usually (just throw together quick in morning - chicken/diana sauce/potatoes-done), or pre-made meals - freezer lasagna/shepherds pie/fish and chips - yes they are higher in sodium, but are still healthy and easy to eat during the school year - especially if they save your sanity.

I've also done this with LTO for teaching (work all day then work all night at home getting things ready for lessons or doing marking).
    thanks! I really need to get some more crock pot recipes. That would be the easiest thing. Just have it all ready to go and turn it on in the morning.
    Unfortunately we are out of town most weekends during the fall and winter, so weekend activities are out. We had to schedule everything between monday and thursday
    Quote Originally Posted by NataliaL View Post
    I usually cook in advance- on weekends, cook 2-3 dishes, then freeze whatever I can. This way, when I get home in the evening, I just need to reheat and make a salad, which is much faster.
    Quote Originally Posted by PepsiAddict View Post
    I can only relate, no real advice. I am so overwhelemed, lol i want to cry.
    (((hugs)))) if you ever need a good shoulder....

Quote Originally Posted by SydandPaige'sMom View Post
    how do you write notes though? I couldn't write notes from a chem lecture while doing my math homework for example..lol and I'm a great multitasker!
    Maybe it was easier because of the type of classes I had? I had a lot of psych/soc/English/History type classes so a great portion of the classes involved discussion. I would make sure I had a point to make at the beginning so I got in my discussion portion of my mark then would tab over on the laptop to an assignment and type a paragraph of an essay. then I would make another comment (because I would listen in to the discussion while typing the paragraph) then type some more.

I also had a lot of lecture style classes. So I would research for a paper while listening to the lecture, tab over to my notes if I heard something important then go back to researching.

Did I miss stuff? Yep. Were my marks lower than if I didn't do this? Yep. But I still ended with low A's and I stayed sane while doing it. I'm sure I could have done much better if I had focused 100% on each thing as I did it, but like we all know, you just can't do it all. So this is how I managed.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by princess2808 View Post
    Maybe it was easier because of the type of classes I had? I had a lot of psych/soc/English/History type classes so a great portion of the classes involved discussion. I would make sure I had a point to make at the beginning so I got in my discussion portion of my mark then would tab over on the laptop to an assignment and type a paragraph of an essay. then I would make another comment (because I would listen in to the discussion while typing the paragraph) then type some more.

I also had a lot of lecture style classes. So I would research for a paper while listening to the lecture, tab over to my notes if I heard something important then go back to researching.

Did I miss stuff? Yep. Were my marks lower than if I didn't do this? Yep. But I still ended with low A's and I stayed sane while doing it. I'm sure I could have done much better if I had focused 100% on each thing as I did it, but like we all know, you just can't do it all. So this is how I managed.
    that's true. I remember when I was at Western everything was online. I could print notes off before I went to class and just add as I went along. It would definitely be easier to do it that way I don't find it to be this way at all with these classes. Thanks again though. I appreciate it and you did awesome in school! Multitasking or not!

Different kinda of classes change it big time. Like if it is a hands on lab then you can't very well sit and do an essay.

Expert Forum User

No real time this morning but you do what you can and keep telling yourself it's SHORT term relative to the rest of your life.

Let go of anything that doesn't really matter right now - and keep breathing.

The feeling you'll have at the end is amazing. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!

My advice to you is, plan everything!! Plan out your meals well in advance, have a calendar and and make it seen by everyone who walks in your door, especially your kids and husband! They can all help out, and do not forget to delegate duties. Don't forget to ask for help either from your family and friends!!! Your time is very valuable, so you need to utilize it to the best of your abilities. I was able to rearrange my class and work schedule so that I had every Friday off! That was my non-interrupted homework day, no laundry, cooking, kids or phone conversations. Honestly the first few months are crazy, but you will develope your groove. Your kids will be ok, and when you are done school you can concentrate on them!
    Congrats on going back to school!