Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default What would you pay for a nanny in this sitch?

We are going to need a nanny for some part time hours, but it's going to be different in that sometimes there will be one kid home, sometimes two kids home and awake, sometimes two kids home but one asleep pretty much the whole time, and sometimes 3 kids home. I would pay a standard rate, but when there's only one around I'd like for some light housekeeping done (maybe some meal prep, laundry, etc). Also my eldest needs a bit of extra support sometimes.

What do you think is reasonable? Want to be fair, but also have to be conscious of cost bc we are self employed now.

Administrator Site Admin

Well if you are having a Nanny come to your home then the minimum you can legally pay is minimum wage so $10.25 per hour.

Our Nanny is often here with only the baby who is napping and I make it very clear when I hire that housekeeping is required whenever there is time. Laundry is a must and then general housekeeping and meal prep as time allows! It's great!

Good luck!!
    Leslie

You will also have to do all of the deductions and remittances for taxes, EI, etc. If you are paying cash, lots of nannies still ask for $10.25, but you have to remind them, with cash pay that there aren't all of the deductions.

In terms of work, as long as it is related to the child, you can have them do quite a bit, but just be upfront about what you expect. It is much easier for her to know upfront than trying to add more responsibilities later on.

Expert Forum User

We pay $12.50 before taxes. And as of now she has my 2 little ones, one of which sleeps all afternoon though! However, before and after school care is with her as well. Add in the convience and it that makes it a great deal to me!
    Mommy to 3 great boys!!

we chose to pay our nanny the same rate of pay that she would be recieving working at her other part time job (YMCA daycare)...we also pay her CPP and EI. We don't ask her to do any housekeeping except the clean up of the meals she makes and crafts etc.

Thanks for the advice.

We will be needing to use the write off so it won't be a cash deal, only cheque, so we will have to figure out how to do the CPP etc.

I talked with the person I have in mind and she *wants* to be kept busy so she's more than happy to do some cleaning, meal prep etc. She is the kind of person who needs to be productive, which I like. I was thinking in the 12 range but I wasn't really sure. She is a former EA of my daughter's and she's very skilled with handling her so I don't want to go too low, but I also don't want to make it unsustainable for us.

Administrator Site Admin

So easy to do the deductions....you just use this calculator and submit the payments monthly.

https://apps.cra-arc.gc.ca/ebci/rhpd...o?lang=English

I love having the help with the housekeeping for sure, makes a huge difference.
    Leslie

maybe one of the questions in your interview can be “what do expect to be paid?“ I think it is a fair question. You dont want to hire someone and then have to hire someone else a bit down the road because they took the job for now and are still looking elsewhere for a job that pays more. I also agree that you dont want to go too low because happy employees stick around

So, honestly - what do you think of $12? $13? For someone who's trained to work with special needs. Is that way too low?

I'm going to be needing her maybe 10 hrs per week now, maybe 20-25 in a month or two.

13 sounds fair. thats prob what she would be making at the Y

If/when we get another nanny I would expect to pay in the $12-15 range bc of the 3 kids + special stuff, which I would consider on par with your situation.

When we had our last nannies, it was in our contract that they had to leave the house in a tidy condition. I think I phrased it 'in the same condition you found it' but that could be shooting myself in the foot these days Which essentially meant she had to clean the playroom and kitchen and keep the main floor tidy - sweep, put away dishes, that sort of thing. I didn't consider that as doing housework, more cleaning up after themselves. Later when I was on bedrest/after DS was born her role changed to include cleaning and meal prep since I was home and spent some time with the girls.

Thanks for all the ideas and advice. I think we are likely going to move forward with this person at least until Christmas. She's ok with the flexi hours at this point which is awesome. And she's totally eager to help out where possible.

Bumping this --- so just for an example, I filled out the form, said maybe the income for the pay period was 120. No special allowances or benefits or anything. Do you put in vacation pay?

What it looked like was this --- 2.14 for EI deductions, then the net amount was 117.86. Does that make sense? Should I be filling in anything else or seeing anything else on the final table?

And when I send payments monthly, where do you send it? I went to the next screen, it said employee EI contributions were the 2.14 and the employer contributions were $3, totalling 5.14. Where is this sent? How do you do this?

TIA.

Bumpity!

Administrator Site Admin

Geo you need to call CRA and register for a CRA business number and once they send that to you they send you forms that you remit monthly with your payments.

I find it's better to do bi-weekly pays so that you don't have to do it weekly and the remittance amounts are more likely to be correct over the long term but for what your gross pay was those amounts sound right. It's really not that much!
    Leslie