Default Transition time for new kids

I was wondering if anyone has issues with new kids transitioning in, especially where other kids have already formed a bond/routine. Any tips to help settle the new kid on the block?

i am having this issue to but I think it has more to do with an age difference than anything

Expert Forum User

When I have a new child starting I attempt to keep a similar routine to one they have at home for the first couple of days and then slowly transition them into our routine. I give them as much of my attention as possible and help them find their place in our group. I had 5 new children start last week (2 full time and 3 part time) and only one (15 months) had difficulty the first day. Now, other than a few tears in the morning, they are all doing great and our routine is in place. Good luck!
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Every single situation is different. I've had children who felt at home the very first day, and children who took months to settle in. I don't schedule any field trips the first week and spend a lot of time just letting the children play in the toyroom and get accustomed to each other. Don't forget that the children who have been with you for a long time and the new child both need an adjustment period. Bonding between the caregiver and the new child is important, but I usually don't have problems because they start as babies, so when they drink their bottles we get face to face time and I just prolong it as much as I can.

how old are your new kids?

Well I'm not a provider I'm the mom. I took my 4 year old son to a new day care this week (his first real experience with a day care. I had a number of chats before hand and indicated that he would have a little difficulty initially but that he would settle. When I posted yesterday it was in the hope of getting some advice to pass on to his new care taker. Today she called and said she would not continue to take him. After just two before schools and one full day I can't think that she gave him a chance.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by BandC View Post
    Well I'm not a provider I'm the mom. I took my 4 year old son to a new day care this week (his first real experience with a day care. I had a number of chats before hand and indicated that he would have a little difficulty initially but that he would settle. When I posted yesterday it was in the hope of getting some advice to pass on to his new care taker. Today she called and said she would not continue to take him. After just two before schools and one full day I can't think that she gave him a chance.
    I agree. I don't think that's much of a chance at all. For a 4 year old who has difficulty adjusting to new situations I would probably give at least a week or two to see if he settles in. What exactly is she saying is the problem?
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

That's unfortunate. He definitely needs longer then that to adjust. Full time kids usually a week or two and part timers usually longer.

Did she give any particular reasons? That would be something to work with if she did.

What area of the city are you looking for? I'm assuming that you will be looking for new care now and if you need help let us know and we can point you in the right direction.

Best of luck to both you and your son.
    Deb - proud wife and mum of identical twin boys and a baby girl

A photography student...follow me as I keep learning more and more!
    www.facebook.com/DeborahGibbsPhotography

www.deborahgibbsphotography.com

I think that is very unprofessional really! However, do you have a contract? Or are you with a 'babysitter' who doesn't look at daycare as a profession? Because that would make all the difference in the world. I would never decide in just a day or two whether or not a child would work out.

I agree it would prob take two weeks to settle and maybe longer for a part timer. Sometimes kids settle more quickly and some take a long time to adjust. Maybe their personalities just didnt click. Everything happens for a reason and hopefully the next care situation will be a better fit

Thank you for your responses. I am now looking again - need someting close to Westmount public school for before and after every other day and all day on the alternates.
    The shame with this lady is that I had given her lots of up front disclaimers on how difficult it might be for the first little while since I have adopted him and he is going through a lot with transitions and that affects his behaviour for a little while in new surroundings. It is so discouraging to see him rejected again with so little reason and so little chance to settle.

Expert Forum User

I find it takes about 2 weeks or so for the new child as well as exisiting to get use to the new kid on the block. I keep routines the same as always which I find help.