Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Is it something I'm eating?

Could it be something in my diet that makes my LO projectile vomit several times a day? I've already eliminated dairy, so what else is irritating to their little bellies?

(DD1 had bad reflux, but once she pukes, she seems to feel better so I don't think that this is the case with her.)

Expert Forum User

DD2 projectiled until she was 5 months, and it was just reflux. She wouldn't fuss, just puke and carry on like nothing had happened.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

i would say it could still be reflux too.

Yuck. I don't miss those puke parties M had. Dairy was his trigger.

Tomatoes, onions, broccoli/cauliflower are also known to be tummy irritants.

That's all I can think of right now.
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Expert Forum User

Tomatoes....hmmm, we did have a bumper-crop this year. I can hope!

With DD1's reflux, she was always crying in pain, so I thought that it had to bother them to be considered reflux. Good to know!

Is it every time? have you ruled out something serious like
    pyloric stenosis? Pyloric stenosis (forceful vomiting) | BabyCenter

My BIL had this as a baby, and therefore my MIL is always on the alert for projectile vomiting in babies...

my DD2 is 3 months old now... she started out with the projectile vomiting too! She would do it at almost every feeding. We tried eliminating certain things, and it didn't help. eventually the projectile stopped. Now she just spits up constantly! I swear I put at least 3-4 bibs on per day and change her outfit like 4 times on top of that! It's super annoying! I didn't know babies could have reflux without being in pain? Good to know for sure! A friend of mine's baby had reflux really bad and was on meds for it, she didn't sleep for 3 months! She puked constantly.. she wanted to eat constantly because it seemed to soothe her throat...
    I really hope it gets better for you!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Sounds like reflux to me - DS1 had it SO bad that they medicated him with liquid Zantac at 3 months... He would eat (didn't matter what it was, bm, formula, rice fortified formula - whatever) and then projectile puke - I always carried about 5 receiving blankets and 2 outfits for every 2 hous we were going to be out - crazy right!!!

He also had cholic and the reflux gave him terrible heart burn so .... needless to say until he started walking at about 15 months it was HELL.....constantly puking and crying - like NON-stop *sigh*

Hence why I have 5 years between my boys, I needed time to recover.... DS2 is a god-send though, totally opposite!!!
    Mother is the name for love in the hearts of my boys!
    __________________________________________________ _

Oh the other thing I did which *helped* was to feed in smaller increments - so instead of letting him feed for an hour every 2-3 hours I would feed him every half hour to every hour for about 12-20 minutes - that seemed to lessen the amount of spit up but certainly did not eliminate it!
    Mother is the name for love in the hearts of my boys!
    __________________________________________________ _

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by rootedngrounded View Post
    Is it every time? have you ruled out something serious like
    pyloric stenosis? Pyloric stenosis (forceful vomiting) | BabyCenter

My BIL had this as a baby, and therefore my MIL is always on the alert for projectile vomiting in babies...
    this was my first thought too. I would deff. ask the dr to rule it out just to be safe and if it is not that then get some reflux meds.

Do you have oversupply or fast letdown? I do, and my little guy projectile puked often as well. I'm pretty sure he was filling up too quickly, and with more than he could hold.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by You are here View Post
    Do you have oversupply or fast letdown? I do, and my little guy projectile puked often as well. I'm pretty sure he was filling up too quickly, and with more than he could hold.
    This is what was happenning with my first.
    ...and in that moment I swear we were infinite.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
    S
    Hence why I have 5 years between my boys, I needed time to recover.... DS2 is a god-send though, totally opposite!!!
    DD1 had horrible reflux that she was medicated for - as well as several other issues. There's 19 months between DD1 and DD2. Gotta love those nice surprises

Quote Originally Posted by kikis6kids View Post
    this was my first thought too. I would deff. ask the dr to rule it out just to be safe and if it is not that then get some reflux meds.
    I thought the meds would only be needed if she was bothered by it? I thought it just treated the acid, not necessarily the actual puking part. Is that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by You are here View Post
    I do have a quick letdown, so this may be the issue. What the heck do I do about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    I do have a quick letdown, so this may be the issue. What the heck do I do about that?
    You can't do anything to lessen the letdown. I have OAL too and N just powers through it most days. What you can try is to pump/hand express until just after your letdown happens then latch her on.

Or it could be that you just have a puker on your hands for a few months until her stomach sphincter gets stronger.
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
    I used to pull him off when the letdown happened, and absorb the milk into a receiving blanket (or whatever was handy - lol). A LLL leader also suggested block feeding to me. That worked well. Basically, you feed off one side (no need to switch if baby gets his/her fill from just one), then feed from that same side again next time if the next time occurs within a period of three hours or so. So I would use breast #1 from noon to 3pm, then #2 from 3-6pm, etc.

Once he got bigger, he was able to handle the flow better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast