Default are fake REALlike baby dolls available to prepare toddlers for upcoming baby arrival?

wondering if i can buy a fake baby doll that looks almost real. not the kid you see at toys r us. my little 2 year old can tell the difference between a fake toy doll and a real baby. but there are these dolls that are fake but have been made to look sooo real that its supposed to help with a baby to accept the upcoming arrival of a baby in the family....

anyone heard of this before??

im interested in one but don't know where to look...

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Are you thinking of reborns?
    They cost a LOT of money.

I don't know that I'd be trying to fool a kid into thinking a doll is a real baby though. If you want to show them a real newborn, perhaps ask on here if anyone who has one would be willing to meet up, or go to TRU or Walmart diaper section
    If you want to teach them about stuff like how to handle baby etc, you could just show them with any doll - here's how we hold them. Here's about the size they'll be. Stuff like that.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

yeah we just play with regular old dolls, nothing is going to prepare her fully. i mean we tell her to be gentle, etc. but the real thing is still different from a fake doll. she has seen real babies though and we always ask her to touch the baby,etc.

I agree with allie, try to get around newborns. I would just use a regular doll. Ds has a doll and a baby stroller he loves playing with. Sometimes I will hold it and if he tries to hit it or grab it, I tell him gentle and show him how he can touch the baby. I think it's best to just talk about it, show pictures, point out babies when you're out, look at books together. Get your LO to help you sort clothes, put aside baby toys that he/she doesn't play with anymore for the baby to have etc.

Handmade Headbands, Hats, Tutus and Accessories
    Check out Pretty Bambino Headbands, Hats and Accessories on Facebook!

www.facebook.com/PrettyBambinoHeadbands

Proud Mommy to Ethan and Ila

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Also before baby comes, try having your child get used to doing some stuff alone. I know for me anyway, it had never occurred to me to have ds put on his own shoes or coat, or dress himself, etc before I had dd. He came back from a weekend with my mom and I realised he could do all that -- wow, a lot less bending after a csection!

And have some items prepared in a special spot like a basket, that you bring out that he can use when you're nursing or feeding baby, stuff like magnet playsets or
    a magnadoodle or viewmaster or so on. That way he can snuggle next to you, but be still doing something kinda solo while your hands are busy. And remember to avoid blaming everything on baby - I'm too tired cos baby was up all night; I can't, have to feed the baby; etc.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

I'm not sure how real a fake doll can ever be to be honest. Sure, they can mould the face into one fixed expression that a baby sometimes has on their face, but plastic and/or fabric can never be like skin, kwim? Babies are warm too, and move etc.

And it's probably a good thing that she can tell the difference between a toy and a real baby?
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys