Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Question re. FI

Quote Originally Posted by dor

I would like to ask MomtoS&E if you have students whose first or home language is not English and they are doing well with FI while keeping up their English. I also welcome suggestions and comments from other moms. Thank you for helping me make the decision.
    Hi, in FI the students are taught the same English as regular English schools.

Some of my strongest students speak a third language at home. Kids are like sponges, the more we expose them to the more they absorb.

My advice, send your child to FI and listen to his/her teacher's advice. Our SK/Grade 1 teachers will honestly tell parents if they are not suited for the program. Also, my school does have an ESL (English as a Second Language) teacher.

Feel free to ask more questions. It may take me a little longer to reply but I will!

Good luck with your decision.
    mama to 3

Thanks momtoS&E...I am one of those SK/Grade 1 teachers. If your impression is that your child loves languages, then certainly try her out in FI. In these younger grades, the focus is on getting the kids to learn to read, whether it be in English or French. These skills naturally transfer over to the other language. We are required to teach the same curriculum as other schools, so the children do receive direct instruction in English and are expected to achieve the same levels on reading assessments as children in the English only programs.

Please, do listen to the teachers! We have seen *many* children through the program and can usually recognize when there is a legitimate problem. Remember that we want to see our students succeed, in whatever program may suit them. It is ultimately the kids who lose out when despite our best intentions and efforts children remain in a program only to struggle and fall further behind.

dor

Thank you so much all for your valued suggestions. I think we are going to try the FI. Do you have any recommended FI schools? We live in an apartment and thus easier to move around the city. Do you think itís a problem if we parents donít speak or only speak some limited French, as we may not be able to help her with her homework once sheís in the program? And is it important that we send her to daycare now, so that she learns her English, before she enters JK next September?

Sorry for the many questions.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

You can get copies of all the textbooks in english, with translated questions etc, so that you can explain to them what theyre doing
    ETA : I went to Princess Ann, and LOVED it In fact I still speak with some of my old teachers ( Dawn Dr)

dor

Thank you Leigh. That's very helpful. BTW, just love your boys.

Huron & Highbury... Betcha can't guess what city though!!

I went to Princess Anne for 7th and 8th grade. There were 5 grade 8 classes graduating the FI program the year I graduated... It was ok I guess... I really liked Huron Heights - that's where I went from grade 1-6 (at the time they didn't have grade 7 & 8 at the school so all students xfered to Princess Anne - now they offer up to 8th grade at Huron Heights)
    Mama to 3 active, beautiful, energetic, and always entertaining children.

DD ~ K ~ April 22, 2005
    DS1 ~ K ~ May 17, 2007
    DS1 ~ K ~ July 23, 2010

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

we were really excited to send kaitlyn to Princess ann when the time came along... but then we went and bought a house on the wrong side of Higbury so now she is going to have to go to Princess Elizabeth... which I have heard not feed back on either way... just that that is now our zoning :?
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Quote Originally Posted by dor
    Thank you Leigh. That's very helpful. BTW, just love your boys.
    Thanks!
    I know alot of the teachers at Princess Ann have left since I was there, but a select few remain and from what I can tell, are really good teachers. My grd 1 teacher is still there, teaching grd 1, and my grd 4 teacher is there teaching grd 7 or 8 there. lol

Satin_Thoughts, what year did you graduate at PA?

dor

Anyone familiar with Jeanne Sauve? Thank you.

Leigh: Oh Man I don't even remember now LMAO Princess Anne was a loooong time ago!! Maybe 1996ish? 1995ish? LoL

If you were in 7th or 8th grade when there were 5 classes to graduate - I was there then LOL I'm 25, will be 26 this year

DD ~ K ~ April 22, 2005
    DS1 ~ K ~ May 17, 2007
    DS1 ~ K ~ July 23, 2010

I was there Satin Do you know Brad Squires??
    ETA I didnt graduate that year though. lol I'm younger than you.

Leigh - hmm doesn't sound familiar... LoL But that was soo long ago LOL

I'm trying to remember all the teachers LoL there was Mme Stewart, Mme. Lewis (she xfered I think to Huron Heights shortly after I left...), and I don't remember the others... MR Sanchez.... ummm Yeah LoL I don't really remember much of the people - students or teachers - I may recognize them if I bumped into them but not know from where LOL

DD ~ K ~ April 22, 2005
    DS1 ~ K ~ May 17, 2007
    DS1 ~ K ~ July 23, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Satin_Thoughts
    Leigh - hmm doesn't sound familiar... LoL But that was soo long ago LOL

I'm trying to remember all the teachers LoL there was Mme Stewart, Mme. Lewis (she xfered I think to Huron Heights shortly after I left...), and I don't remember the others... MR Sanchez.... ummm Yeah LoL I don't really remember much of the people - students or teachers - I may recognize them if I bumped into them but not know from where LOL
    I still talk to Mrs. Stewart. She was at both of my son's dedications and we always exchange christmas presents. Two years ago she was dx with cancer. Last time I saw him, Mr. Sanchez was at Laurier. And I'm not sure what happened to Mrs. Lewis. Mr. Fooks took off for a year and taught in a third world country, and Mrs + Mr. Pellitier are still teaching in a third world country. They also have a 7(?) yr old little boy named Ben.
    Mr.T did transfer to Huron Heights, the year after he taught me. Mrs Liberatory is still teaching grd 1, Osowski (?) is still there, Mr Piche( im not sure if you knew him?) is stil there, and his wife is there now as well. Geddies is long gone now too. lol ya its great to not have been there in how many years and still know whos there lol

I thought mme Pelletier was single!? LoL Guess I was wrong on that one! I was in Les Concertistes in 8th grade

m. Fooks ~ He was hilarious LoL He was one of the two that taught the late entry students... I liked him!!

I don't even know if Mme Stewart would remember me now LoL Its been so long!! She taught me 8th grade...

I can't remember if it was 7th or 8th grade but I slipped and fell in the school yard in the winter LoL I was actually knocked out briefly and had a huge bump that my hair parted around!!

The Principal was Mme Atchison I think... Wow... I recognize the names now that I"ve seen them I'm remembering more LoL I was there so briefly (only 2 years) that I remember a lot more of the staff from Huron Heights!

DD ~ K ~ April 22, 2005
    DS1 ~ K ~ May 17, 2007
    DS1 ~ K ~ July 23, 2010

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12